Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz Finest vs 3m vs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 03:42 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CQuartz Finest vs 3m vs??

I've been reading some posts and see that some are using the CQuartz Finest for paint protection. When applying these products, does this actually improve the appearance of the paint?

One post said the paint looked 1000x better than when they picked the car up from the dealership. If this is true, how much are people spending on this stuff? My guy quoted me $650 to apply 3m to the car.

Thanks
Old 12-17-14, 07:08 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper2269
I've been reading some posts and see that some are using the CQuartz Finest for paint protection. When applying these products, does this actually improve the appearance of the paint?

One post said the paint looked 1000x better than when they picked the car up from the dealership. If this is true, how much are people spending on this stuff? My guy quoted me $650 to apply 3m to the car.

Thanks
Thanks jeeper2269! I was actually going to start a thread like this. I'm planning on doing the CQuartz as well, but would like some feedback on it. I'm sure there was a thread some where, but I can't find it! I've researched CQuartz and it's neat! Not so sure about 3M. Will post my quote from a local installer/dealer when I go there tomorrow.
Old 12-17-14, 08:16 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only heard of 3m before yesterday.

I live in oregon, and we have a lot of chemical de-icer and cinders on the road in the winter. I will be getting some type of protective coating as soon as I can.
Old 12-17-14, 09:16 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1000x better is really blowing it out of proportion. The silica coatings like cquartz, 22ple, and opticoat can add some shine to the paint. But really is not that noticeable on a brand new car unless they also did some paint correction. IE removing orange peel, buff, and wax.
But even though the visual appearance might not be super drastic, the protection is amazing. Water just beads off the paint. Dirt and grime will easily rinse off. It just makes cleaning the vehicle much easier.
Old 12-18-14, 09:50 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you said 3M, are you referring to the 3M clear bra?? Clear bra and coating are in 2 different leagues.

Clear bra like 3M is intended to protect paint from rock chips especially in the front bumper. It does have some UV, and chemical resistance protection as well. Clear bar is way way thicker than paint coating. I paid about $550 for front bumper, partial hood, 2 mirrors, 2 headlight from a certified 3M installer. I had them on 3 years and the front bumper looks brand new.

Paint coating does not protect the paint from rock chips. It has UV, chemical, mar resistance protection plus It feels slick, and bead/sheet water like crazy. You can top paint coating on top of 3M clear bra as well. I did that.

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-18-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 01:58 PM
textekvbal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cquartz finest

As some have already stated paint protection film and paint coatings are different products for different purposes. I have researched this exhaustively and ended up with PPF on the bumper hood front quarter panels and rear view mirrors for like 1100 bucks. That was xpel film with 10 yr warranty. Please not that if you are doing PPF and want it to look awesome you should have your car polished to ensure your there are no swirls or impetfections in the paint. Polishing your car is what makes it shine like crazy not wax. Once polished do the PPF. If at that point you would have the cquartz installed. Cquartz is installed by a very small group of authorized dealers who specialize in paint correction. Part of that cost is them polishing your paint. Again this is where the shine comes from. Since finest is literally like a glass coating on your car you will see a deeper shine for sure. I even saw it on my white car. You can see it on my build thread. Check out the car pro cquartz applications on you tube especially on dark colored cars. It is definitely noticeable.