Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Opti-Coat vs. Cquartz Finest vs 22ple?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 06:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Hopefully I did not come off as upset with my previous post... it has been an industry misnomer than Opti-Coat is the "end all, be all" in terms of protection when the reality is that OC has the same potential of failing as any other coating in my experience, it is just marketed less conservatively in that they use the word 'permanent' which makes people assume it is nearly bulletproof and "better" than everything else. I was just trying to explain the facts and perhaps try to get people to look past the word 'permanent' and the longer warranty.
Appreciate all the details Zach! Not upset, just passionate

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm going to go with CQuartz on my GS, but I'm going to give 22ple a try on my wife's CX-5. Same detailer for both and the upkeep for both will be roughly the same since I do all the washing. Timing wise, it'll be tough to get the CX-5 in before the end of the year so I'll save comparisons for the new year.

Thanks again!

Edit: 1 more question. How often should I hit it with the CarPro Reload and/or the Iron X?

Last edited by Allen K; 12-16-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 09:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the CarPro Hydro2 which is very similar to CarPro Reload but so much easier to apply, you can spray it on, and rinse it off without any buffing. That is it

I think Iron X, 1 to 2 times a year to decontaminate the iron particles.
CarPro Hydro2 or Reload every 2-3 months for additional gloss, slickness, and protection.
And Quick Detailer as drying aid every wash, I recommend 303 Speed Detailer and FK 425. These two make the paint super slick, and glossy. 303 is famous for its sun blocking ability.

Get it from Zach, he sells these items.
Old 12-16-14, 09:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Appreciate all the details Zach! Not upset, just passionate

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm going to go with CQuartz on my GS, but I'm going to give 22ple a try on my wife's CX-5. Same detailer for both and the upkeep for both will be roughly the same since I do all the washing. Timing wise, it'll be tough to get the CX-5 in before the end of the year so I'll save comparisons for the new year.

Thanks again!

Edit: 1 more question. How often should I hit it with the CarPro Reload and/or the Iron X?
Given your location and the fact that you're using both CQF and 22ple, I assume you're using Greg Gellas @ Signature Detailing? If so, good choice! Greg is very knowledgeable and I am sure he will be able to answer all of these questions (and any more that you may have along the way).

You cannot use Reload too much... simple as that. You don't need to use it at all, but it is so quick and easy you'll probably find yourself using it regularly. If you intend to use it rather frequently, I'd suggest diluting it 1:1 with distilled water to cut down on product cost and to make the product a bit more user friendly.

IronX should be used as needed. I usually recommend 1-2 times each year for coated vehicles. As always, it is very important to remember to only use IronX in the shade when the vehicle is cool to the touch. Do not allow the product to dry on the surface, and rinse very well afterwards.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach
Old 12-16-14, 10:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Really appreciate all of the responses guys! Yup, going with Greg over @ Signature. I'm dropping the car off after work tonight and I'll bombard him with more questions Probably going to have to add to my detailing stash with some Chemical Guys (snow foam) and CarPro (hydro2/reload) stuff.
Old 12-16-14, 10:11 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Share pictures of your cars after they have been coated. Take them at various angles to show off the gloss!!! Can't wait to see another coated cars lol. Your cars must thank you!
Old 12-16-14, 10:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Really appreciate all of the responses guys! Yup, going with Greg over @ Signature. I'm dropping the car off after work tonight and I'll bombard him with more questions Probably going to have to add to my detailing stash with some Chemical Guys (snow foam) and CarPro (hydro2/reload) stuff.
Tell Greg I said hello... we've never met in person, but we have chatted many times throughout the past couple years

-Zach McGovern
Old 12-16-14, 10:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Will do

I have a few days before the next storm rolls through so hopefully I can get some shots with the sun actually out.
Old 12-19-14, 02:55 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Quick shot of the car earlier today. Cquartz is awesome and Greg says hi

Old 12-19-14, 05:01 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick shot of the car earlier today. Cquartz is awesome and Greg says hi

]
did you have the tires done also? Sold on Cquartz.. i think lol
Old 12-19-14, 05:23 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Yup, he applied it to the rims so they also got some additional pop Very impressed with the coating
Old 12-20-14, 02:03 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

The wheels will be protected very well with coating. However, don't apply to the tires like I did. None of the tire dressing can stick to it because the coating won't let anything bond to it lol.
Old 12-28-14, 05:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Just got my wife's CX-5 back from Greg and I have to say I'm a little bit jealous. The 22ple makes the blue in her Mazda really pop. Probably a case of her just having a more interesting color, but it really does look good. I'll take and post some pics tomorrow, but it's going to be interesting to see how they wear compared to one another
Old 12-28-14, 06:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Just got my wife's CX-5 back from Greg and I have to say I'm a little bit jealous. The 22ple makes the blue in her Mazda really pop. Probably a case of her just having a more interesting color, but it really does look good. I'll take and post some pics tomorrow, but it's going to be interesting to see how they wear compared to one another
Color has a lot to do with the final outcome... Same reason white never looks as good as perfectly polished black paint.

Assuming your cars are kept in similar environments and maintained the same, this will be a great test. I've done the same test on my car vs my wife's car and Finest beaded better for longer (which isn't a big deal), but both look great 2 years later.
Old 12-29-14, 09:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Isn't that weird? I experience the same thing. My 2006 IS350 in dark blue color looks glossier and shinier than my 2012 IS250 in pearl white and both of them have same coating. However, the dark blue one always get dirty and dusty quicker and so much harder to keep clean.
Old 12-29-14, 02:35 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Isn't that weird? I experience the same thing. My 2006 IS350 in dark blue color looks glossier and shinier than my 2012 IS250 in pearl white and both of them have same coating. However, the dark blue one always get dirty and dusty quicker and so much harder to keep clean.
I think what you mean is that the dark blue one just shows dirt easier... if both cars are kept in the same environment, maintained the same, and have the same products on them, there is no reason one would get dirtier any quicker than the other. The fact is that dark paint simply shows spots and dirt much more than white paint does.

This is the same reason darker paint looks better when it has been cleaned compared to white paint. Dark paint is much more reflective/glossy under normal daylight conditions, and therefore looks amazing when there is no dirt on the surface, but when there is dirt on the surface the paint looses its luster and it is very noticeable, where the white (or lighter colored paint) does not show the dramatic change in appearance as easily because it does not appear as glossy even when it is clean.

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat vs. Cquartz Finest vs 22ple?