Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Painting bumper on ls430 - how to

Old 11-10-14, 01:53 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting bumper on ls430 - how to

I have a large chip on my front bumper, photo attached. A friend told me I should sand it to rough it up and then use the touch up paint. Before I do anything, I thought I'd check with the experts here. It seems to get larger as time goes by.
Thanks in advance.
I have attached a photo of the chip as well as the paint. Not quite sure how to apply the paint either.

djs
Attached Thumbnails Painting bumper on ls430 - how to-img_2032.jpg   Painting bumper on ls430 - how to-img_2033.jpg  
Old 11-10-14, 07:06 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That will not look good what so ever. Has the bumper been repainted before? It seems to be an adhesian problem. It may need a full respray.
Old 11-11-14, 10:04 AM
djs123
Rookie

Default painting bumper

Hi

I don't think it's ever been painted before, it seems to chip more as time goes by. What do you recommend I do. It's on both sides of the bumper.
I'm afraid if I take it to Lexus they will charge an arm and a leg.
Old 11-11-14, 10:07 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to a good body shops and have them touch it up or even better, it is time to install a painted front lip kit
Old 11-11-14, 04:00 PM
djs123
Rookie

Default painting bumper

What is a painted front lip kit?
Old 11-11-14, 04:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is an add on item to the front bumper such as Lexus F Sport front lip kit like this one
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2012/2397.html
This one only fits Lexus IS250/350 2006-2013 , not your LS though.

A sample front lip kit for the LS is something like this
http://www.carid.com/2007-lexus-ls-b...FW8A7AoddlEAeg

Adding body kits (front, sides, rear) will cost a lot of money and people who are into modifying car do it for the looks. I think you should not go this route unless you are into pimping your car. I mentioned it as one of the many available options.

You should touch it up either yourself with the paint. That is the cheapest option but you will probably see seams and uneven surface. It will be more professional looking if you let the body shop repaint it (which cost lot more money). It is best in term of cost and result if they are willing to touch it up.

Last edited by FSportIS; 11-11-14 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 07:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

That's an easy fix and a good way to start for a beginner.

Heres what you do :

1. take that touch up marker and put it in a drawer somewhere in the garage or shed
2. get your paint code from the dealer
3. go to a reputable body shop or auto paint supplier and buy 1 pre mixed -single stage - rattle spray can filled with your paint code
4. sand area smooth with 220 grit then 400 grit then 600 grit, clean with thinner, and spray damaged area

It wont be a 100% repair, but shouldn't cost you more then $30.00 or so , and no one will notice it since its near the bottom corner.

Becareful with overspray, don't make the damaged area much larger then it is by spraying all over the place.
Old 11-11-14, 07:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Put Opti Coat on that. Will look brand new 100%.
Old 11-12-14, 04:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Put Opti Coat on that. Will look brand new 100%.
... What? Assuming you are being sarcastic.
Old 11-12-14, 10:44 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Heres what you do :

1. take that touch up marker and put it in a drawer somewhere in the garage or shed
3. go to a reputable body shop or auto paint supplier and buy 1 pre mixed -single stage - rattle spray can filled with your paint code
4. sand area smooth with 220 grit then 400 grit then 600 grit, clean with thinner, and spray damaged area

It wont be a 100% repair, but shouldn't cost you more then $30.00 or so , and no one will notice it since its near the bottom corner.

Becareful with overspray, don't make the damaged area much larger then it is by spraying all over the place.
This +1. Plus one on buying our lip kit as well lol.
Old 11-13-14, 07:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Paint used on bumpers and plastic/vinyl covered panels is not the same paint as that used on metal panels. It has additional flex agents so that it will not be prone to the chipping that you are experiencing. If these areas are continuing to chip away already, the real fix is to take it to a body shop and have them strip and respray it properly. Anything you do with touch-up paint is not going to resolve the issue for long, if at all.
Old 11-13-14, 08:38 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can do it yourself just blend using oem paint, flex agent, and adhesion promoter. BTW that looks like it's been painted before. Just matter of time before whole bumper will start peeling
Old 11-15-14, 01:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Heres what you do :

That is probably the best bet for a something that large. Touch up is not going to look good, it will need to be wetsanded and polished a lot afterward at the very least to look okay.

If it is a 1K basecoat aerosol spray he is going to need a clearcoat for gloss/protection. I would recommend Spraymax 2K clear applied over a 1K basecoat. Using a primer before paint would not hurt, just hit that with 600 grit before paint and wipe with alcohol. He will be much better off taking the front end off to do the repair and tape everything off that you don't want paint/clear overspray then sand down and buff any edges left from the paint/repair after it has dried. Should cost less then $50, will need a respirator(dust mask won't cut it) for any 2K spray.
Old 11-23-14, 09:00 AM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

How far are you from St Simons Island ? If not too far, buy a pint of basecoat from an auto paint supply store and swing by... I have everything else needed for repair
You can be the lucky recipient of a free bumper repair....

Why free? Because that's how we do things in Ga
No really, just a way to give back to the ClubLexus community

If interested, pm me so I can recommend brand of paint
I prefer to use same brand basecoat as the clearcoat I already have on hand
Old 11-23-14, 06:44 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xtr3me
How far are you from St Simons Island ? If not too far, buy a pint of basecoat from an auto paint supply store and swing by... I have everything else needed for repair
You can be the lucky recipient of a free bumper repair....

Why free? Because that's how we do things in Ga
No really, just a way to give back to the ClubLexus community

If interested, pm me so I can recommend brand of paint
I prefer to use same brand basecoat as the clearcoat I already have on hand
xtr3me - you sound like you are familiar with painting. I also have a 2006 4runner that my wife
hit the corner of the garage with and messed up the front bumper. I have been looking at a
purchasing a primed bumper cover ($100) and seeing if a body shop would spray it. Any idea of a reasonable cost to spray a front bumper cover? I am in Statesboro so would be around here or the Savannah area. I am looking to trade the 4runner in soon and figured I would get more if the bumper was repaired.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting bumper on ls430 - how to