Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to dry car with Metro Blaster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 10:34 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to dry car with Metro Blaster?

I have always been drying car with the following method and had great success (no water spot and little to no swirl mark):
1. Sheet the water with running water. This almost dries the windows completely.
2. Blot dry car with the absorber (put it on, and lift with no rubbing).

I heard about touchless drying with the Metro Blaster recommended by Zach on here so I recently bought it and try it out. The little machine is quite fun to work with. It is not too loud and very light weight. I sheet the water with running water first and then blow dry it.

Pros:
1. Wheels and tires are dried super super quickly.
2. All the crevices in the mirrors, trunks, emblems... are dried easily and effectively.

Cons:
1. It take longer time to dry the panel, hoods and doors than using the absorber.
2. There are these tiny tiny water spots left behind.

I tried the metro blaster on 2 cars (one white IS250 , one dark blue IS350) and notice the same result.
I think my technique is not good enough so I have the following questions:

1. Should I not sheet the water first with running water??
2. Do you work on the crevices first before all other area??
3. What is the order of drying? Top > hood > trunk > doors > front and rear bumpers > bottom ?
4. For the hood, move the water from one side all the way to another side or do you do middle to left and then middle to right??
5. For the doors, this is how i do: With the hose pointing downward, move from top left to top right and then move down a little from top right to top left. Repeat the pattern until all water drift down all the way. It takes quite a bit of time. I wonder if I'm doing it right or is there a better way?
6. I'm ordering the Air Wand attachment to work with this Metro Blaster. Will update on this when I have a chance to test it but does anyone try the Air Wand yet???

Please share your method, tips and tricks on using the Metro Blaster. Thanks.
Old 11-10-14, 12:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The master blaster takes some practice to develop an efficient routine.

It takes me a little longer to dry my car with my 8HP master blaster than it does with a towel, but I am also able to get all of the water out of every nook and cranny (and the whees and tires) so the few extra minutes is worth it.

In general, I start in the roof and work the water off towards either the front or rear glass. I then blow off the hood and trunk, then make my way around the vertical areas.

Sheeting beforehand is very important as you want as much water off of the surface before you begin as possible, and obviously it makes a huge difference to have a good layer of protection on the paint so water just slides away.

If you have a few spots left over simply wipe the areas with a quick detailer afterwards.

IIRC you got the 4HP blower? That will definitely make it a bit slower.
Old 11-12-14, 09:32 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
The master blaster takes some practice to develop an efficient routine.

It takes me a little longer to dry my car with my 8HP master blaster than it does with a towel, but I am also able to get all of the water out of every nook and cranny (and the whees and tires) so the few extra minutes is worth it.

In general, I start in the roof and work the water off towards either the front or rear glass. I then blow off the hood and trunk, then make my way around the vertical areas.

Sheeting beforehand is very important as you want as much water off of the surface before you begin as possible, and obviously it makes a huge difference to have a good layer of protection on the paint so water just slides away.

If you have a few spots left over simply wipe the areas with a quick detailer afterwards.

IIRC you got the 4HP blower? That will definitely make it a bit slower.
hi Zack, I would love the 8 hp Master Blaster, but don't really want to spend the $400ish for one. How well does the sidekick one work to dry up the crevices and spots that i cannot reach with a towel?
Old 11-13-14, 06:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tea
hi Zack, I would love the 8 hp Master Blaster, but don't really want to spend the $400ish for one. How well does the sidekick one work to dry up the crevices and spots that i cannot reach with a towel?
The SideKick works great! I use it all the time... it is perfect for drying wheels & all of the cracks and crevices when I do not want to get my master blaster out to dry my entire car.

Here is my product review for the Blaster SideKick

I will PM you about the master blasters

-Zach
Old 11-14-14, 08:12 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

instead of spending $250 on that master blaster.... I usually sheet the surface, then blow dry with my electric blower, then finally use my absorber for the left overs... Under $40 for the leaf blower at Walmart or Home Depot...
Old 11-14-14, 08:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tmf2004
instead of spending $250 on that master blaster.... I usually sheet the surface, then blow dry with my electric blower, then finally use my absorber for the left overs... Under $40 for the leaf blower at Walmart or Home Depot...
While I certainly appreciate money savings, the master blaster is just so much more effective than a leaf blower. I hated using a leaf blower the few times I tried it.

If you've got the cash, I'd advise the master blaster otherwise, use whatever works for you.
Old 11-14-14, 09:11 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
While I certainly appreciate money savings, the master blaster is just so much more effective than a leaf blower. I hated using a leaf blower the few times I tried it.

If you've got the cash, I'd advise the master blaster otherwise, use whatever works for you.
trust me i would love to own one but $250 The leaf blower does take awhile to dry the car but it works,,,
Old 11-14-14, 09:54 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Technically, from what I learn,
A typical electric leaf blower puts out about 160 MPH airflow
The Sidekick Blaster puts out about 204 MPH airflow
The Metro Blaster puts out 332 MPH airflow
The Master Blaster puts out 664 MPH airflow

The benefits of owning the Blaster brand car dryers, from my own experience.
Pros:
1. The air is filtered which is a BIG thing because you don't blast sand into your paint.
2. It is specifically designed to dry car as a sole purpose.
3. It is much easier to use.
4. It is durable and built with great quality and backed up by 5 year warranty
5. It dries the car better than most leaf blowers.
6. It gives out warm air which enhance the drying process even more.
Cons:
Cost a lot more $$$

This guy in this video explains the difference so damn well

Last edited by FSportIS; 11-14-14 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 10:02 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I personally find the attachment in the Metro Blaster drying the car not fast enough because the air blow the water out of all directions. I'm now trying to combine the Airwand attachment with the powerful Metro Blaster machine to dry the car much more faster and more effectively. Conceptually, this gives us a much more control of the airflow direction and with the right technique, it will be very fast to dry the entire car. I Will receive the Airwand today and will be doing some more testing on this.

I think and hope that Metro Blaster + Airwand attachment combination will be AWESOME!!! My hope is to have truly touchless dry without even using the absorber for the last touch.

I tried googling everywhere but found very little info on this method (Metro Blaster + Airwand attachment). Zach and everyone else, have you guys tried this??

Last edited by FSportIS; 11-14-14 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 10:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I simply use the rubber cone nozzle that comes with my Master Blaster... it works very well at directing the air exactly where I want it to go. That attachment does look interesting though.
Old 11-14-14, 01:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

thanks for the Vid Zac.... that airwand looks pretty good and will cover more surface area....
Old 11-14-14, 03:46 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

thanks for the Vid Zac.... that airwand looks pretty good and will cover more surface area....
It is me discovering that Air Wand attachment and share it on here
The nozzle of this (2.5 inch) is actually bigger than the metro blaster hose (1.5 inch) so I am buying an adapter to work around this. However, this Air Wand attachment also works directly with the leaf blower too.

The Air Wand attachment is not that popular tool among the detailers community but I'm trying it out anyways.

I will update this thread on how well this works together with the Metro Blaster machine once I test it.
Old 11-14-14, 03:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by FSportIS
It is me discovering that Air Wand attachment and share it on here
The nozzle of this (2.5 inch) is actually bigger than the metro blaster hose (1.5 inch) so I am buying an adapter to work around this. However, this Air Wand attachment also works directly with the leaf blower too.

The Air Wand attachment is not that popular tool among the detailers community but I'm trying it out anyways.

I will update this thread on how well this works together with the Metro Blaster machine once I test it.
i wonder why ts not popular among professionals? seems to sheet the water off better than anything i've seen
Old 11-14-14, 04:52 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

i wonder why ts not popular among professionals? seems to sheet the water off better than anything i've seen
I have the same question also. Conceptually and intuitively, the Air Wand attachment design is very efficient and speed up the drying the process. The air flow is totally controlled and the attachment is lightweight and easy to use. If you move from top to bottom, or right to left, left to right, the water are being moved into one same direction. It is exactly like computer programming practice: If there is an entrance, it must have an exit.

That to me is way more effective than the regular round nozzle used in the Metro Blaster and the leaf blower because the air is one straight shot and it will blast the water in all many directions. You try to blast the water on the passenger side, yes you got it clean but then some of the water on the driver's side is still there. Then you move to the driver's side to dry it, some of the tiny water got moved back to the passenger's side and you keep going back and forth like that. In the extreme case, it is similar to an infinite loop in programming lol.

I think Air Wand is not a popular company among detailers so hence not much hype about it. If it was made by Carpro, Meguairs, Metro Blaster or the likes ( you know those big names), they will be all over it as if it is the next big thing ever.

Personally speaking, the Metro Blaster has so much hype brought up by many detailers but reality is that it is good but not like super duper extraordinary as if many have hyped up. I just bought it and still like it a lot though.
Old 11-15-14, 10:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

how cheaply did you find it ?

Quick Reply: How to dry car with Metro Blaster?