Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What new product announced at SEMA has you most interested?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 02:03 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What new product announced at SEMA has you most interested?

I "liked" Detailed Image on Facebook so I'm seeing all these posts about new products announced at SEMA. They include:

1) New D/A buffers from multiple vendors
2) New spray-on paint decontamination products from several vendors
3) CQuartz coating for leather and vinyl
4) New compound from Menzerna and a new glaze from Meguiar's

#3 has me the most interested
Old 11-07-14, 03:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll have my hands on the new CQuartz Leather and Vinyl soon... Will post my thoughts afterwards, but it looks like a great product.
Old 11-07-14, 05:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

If you're only following Detailed Image, then you haven't seen the new CarPro Immortal coating.

This coating is a self healing coating that is sprayed on like an additional clear coat. There are many questions still unanswered about this product, but it could be a game changer. I assume this will be incredibly expensive... but here is the link to their site that also includes a video showing it's self healing properties when scratched with a wire brush.

http://carpro-immortal.com/
Old 11-07-14, 05:42 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
If you're only following Detailed Image, then you haven't seen the new CarPro Immortal coating.

This coating is a self healing coating that is sprayed on like an additional clear coat. There are many questions still unanswered about this product, but it could be a game changer. I assume this will be incredibly expensive... but here is the link to their site that also includes a video showing it's self healing properties when scratched with a wire brush.

Old 11-07-14, 06:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The interesting new products from Meguiar's that caught my attention:

1. MT300 DA from Meguiar's and a new line of pads and backing plate. Finally, a quiet yet powerful DA.

2. Paint Protect 365, a sealant that lasts a year. Great for those daily drivers who don't have much spare time.

3. Meguiar's "New Car Scent Protectant". Meguiar's added that new car aroma to their vinyl protectant (think Natural Shine or Supreme Shine with a new car smell). I dislike artificial fragrances and chemical smells. Cars are not supposed to smell like a banana or a citrus grove, nor should they smell like bleach or a hospital.
Old 11-07-14, 10:56 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, wow, wow... what the hell did I just see?? If this is true, this gonna be the next big thing. It seems to prevent minor scratch better than anything else I have seen so far.

How thick is this coating and how long will it last? And can we top it off on top off another coating?
Old 11-07-14, 11:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wow, wow, wow... what the hell did I just see?? If this is true, this gonna be the next big thing. It seems to prevent minor scratch better than anything else I have seen so far.

How thick is this coating and how long will it last? And can we top it off on top off another coating?
The technology is awesome... it does not prevent scratches, it simply 'fixes' the scratches after they happen due to the self leveling properties.

The coating is applied in a 15 micron layer and is said to last 5+ years (like a normal clear coat). This coating can not be topped with a ceramic or glass coating because that would cover up the self leveling layer, however it can be topped with a water based sealant like CarPro HydrO2 or CarPro Reload. These sealants will increase gloss and hydrophobic properties that the Immortal Coating may lack.

The big kicker is going to be the cost of the product, cost of application, and required application environment. This product MUST be applied in a paint booth/clean room environment and is sprayed on just like a clear coat. I would expect the costs to be in the thousands for application.

-Zach
Old 11-07-14, 12:18 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is cool to hear.

I'm thinking of doing the below as the ultimate form of shine and protection Will this work?
Prime > base color > clear coat > Opticoat > Carpro Immortal > Glaze (pure oil polish to bring out the wetness and color depth) > Carpro Hydr02 (seal off the glaze). I want a show car everyday
Old 11-07-14, 06:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Black car owners rejoice!
Old 11-09-14, 03:01 AM
Merlinii
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSportIS
That is cool to hear.

I'm thinking of doing the below as the ultimate form of shine and protection Will this work?
Prime > base color > clear coat > Opticoat > Carpro Immortal > Glaze (pure oil polish to bring out the wetness and color depth) > Carpro Hydr02 (seal off the glaze). I want a show car everyday
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Prime > base color > clear coat > Carpro Immortal (directly on top of the CC)

As a "topper" It is highly recommended not to use any CH2 based product
A H2O based product like Reload should help with adding gloss and shine.
Old 11-09-14, 05:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Merlinii
Please correct me if I'm wrong... Prime > base color > clear coat > Carpro Immortal (directly on top of the CC) As a "topper" It is highly recommended not to use any CH2 based product A H2O based product like Reload should help with adding gloss and shine.
I believe he was being sarcastic with his original post... In any case, you're correct. Immortal is applied directly on top of the clear and should only be topped with water based sealants.
Old 11-09-14, 11:25 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I see this product as either being REALLY good or a major FLOP. Nothing in between.

Nissan and Infiniti's "self healing" paints also sounded good in theory but did not work in the real world. Just like self-healing clear bra's. The self healing ability is reduced/eliminated after a bit of time and down the road there is nothing you can do to correct any defects in the film. I suspect the same will be true with this coating, once the self heal part of it fades out, you will have to do a traditional restoration on it and most likely remove the coating in the process..
Old 11-09-14, 11:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I see this product as either being REALLY good or a major FLOP. Nothing in between.

Nissan and Infiniti's "self healing" paints also sounded good in theory but did not work in the real world. Just like self-healing clear bra's. The self healing ability is reduced/eliminated after a bit of time and down the road there is nothing you can do to correct any defects in the film. I suspect the same will be true with this coating, once the self heal part of it fades out, you will have to do a traditional restoration on it and most likely remove the coating in the process..
The difference here is that this is not built into the paint system... it is its own unique layer that goes on top of the paint therefore it is not truly comparable to the attempted scratch resistant clear that nissan used.

As for self-leveling clear bra. It is quite effective, but it works best when exposed to heat. Immortal was made to work at room temp and therefore should be much more effective at eliminating scratches.

IMO the biggest downfall of this product will be the price to have it applied and the very limited amount of installers that will have the resources to have it installed properly (ie clean room/paint booth).
Old 11-09-14, 02:41 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The difference here is that this is not built into the paint system... it is its own unique layer that goes on top of the paint therefore it is not truly comparable to the attempted scratch resistant clear that nissan used.

As for self-leveling clear bra. It is quite effective, but it works best when exposed to heat. Immortal was made to work at room temp and therefore should be much more effective at eliminating scratches.

IMO the biggest downfall of this product will be the price to have it applied and the very limited amount of installers that will have the resources to have it installed properly (ie clean room/paint booth).
If the coating is as thick as they say it is and it is sprayed in a booth like paint, then what exactly makes it different than a layer of clearcoat? Once it's cured it should be the same as self-healing oem paint that Nissan used.

Another downside to this is that if you get into an accident and need to have a panel repainted and something blended, it's going to cause a huge problem for bodyshops who are likely not going to be fimiliar with this product or know that it's on there or how to remove it. Using a scuff pad in a quick fashion like it's done for blending purposes will not remove 15 microns of coating.
Old 11-09-14, 03:57 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If the coating is as thick as they say it is and it is sprayed in a booth like paint, then what exactly makes it different than a layer of clearcoat? Once it's cured it should be the same as self-healing oem paint that Nissan used.

Another downside to this is that if you get into an accident and need to have a panel repainted and something blended, it's going to cause a huge problem for bodyshops who are likely not going to be fimiliar with this product or know that it's on there or how to remove it. Using a scuff pad in a quick fashion like it's done for blending purposes will not remove 15 microns of coating.
It's like saying plastidip is the same as another layer of paint just because it is sprayed on and is a thick external layer... clearly it is not paint, it falls into a different category of exterior products/coatings. I certainly am no expert... I only know as much as CarPro has shared with their professional installers, and what I have asked the company, so I do not have all of the answers.

The accident/body shop scenario you brought up is a good point... that will no doubt lead to some issues.

Quick Reply: What new product announced at SEMA has you most interested?