Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How often to wax??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 04:37 PM
aleksfox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often to wax??

Apologies if this has been discussed .. point me to it. I live in San Diego have the white, ok Starfire Pearl 2013 350ES. Garage at home; outside and not under cover at work. Obviously not a lot of rain, but lots of sun. Doesn't get too dirty but I have no interest in washing/waxing the car myself anymore. I do pay for the hand wax at the Car Wash .. but would be interested in suggestions as to how frequently to get waxed. Thanks.
Old 11-05-14, 06:11 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

If you go onto the Meguiar's web site you will find that you can enter the conditions that your car exists in such as sun, no cover, heat, snow, etc. They will give you a plan for protection from the elements. Exterior and interior and a schedule.

www.meguiars.com
Old 11-05-14, 07:34 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that product vendors are in the business of selling products. And, service vendors are in the business of selling services. If you let them decide the schedule and the process, they will have you do it far more often and use far more product than is really needed.

A huge part of keeping wax on a car is, to refrain from removing the old wax from the car. When you wash a car with soap, it removes the wax. If you remove your wax, then you have to put new wax on or go without.... That takes a lot of labor and material each time you do it.

The trick is to use just plain water, with no soap, most weeks. Get it wet, touch every surface with a wet mitt, rinse it off, and chamois dry. The water and touching loosens the dirt, and the rinsing takes it off, without removing the wax. New wax is needed only two or three times each year. The wet-touch-rinse-dry process only takes about 10 minutes per car.
Old 11-05-14, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I would never wash a car with just water. You need a soap solution to encapsulate dirt and lubricate the process. Using just water you're grinding dirt into the paint surface. Washing will wear away wax over time. If you want something more durable, have a sealant or permanent coating applied.

Have it waxed every 3-6 months, you'll be fine.
Old 11-06-14, 12:11 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I would never wash a car with just water. You need a soap solution to encapsulate dirt and lubricate the process. Using just water you're grinding dirt into the paint surface. Washing will wear away wax over time. If you want something more durable, have a sealant or permanent coating applied.
I agree, washing without soap is horrible advice. Might as well rub your dry car with a towel if you're not going to use car wash shampoo.
Old 11-06-14, 05:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I wash and wax my car by myself, about twice a month in the spring and summer and at least once a month in the winter depending upon if we have snow - on my driveway in Pennsylvania... I use high end wash - including soap - and wax as the car is always outside and the paint is beautiful. I would concede, however, that this frequency is not necessary in SoCal and that 3-4 times a year for waxing would suffice. I'm one who enjoys doing it...
Old 11-06-14, 07:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
The trick is to use just plain water, with no soap, most weeks. Get it wet, touch every surface with a wet mitt, rinse it off, and chamois dry. The water and touching loosens the dirt, and the rinsing takes it off, without removing the wax. New wax is needed only two or three times each year. The wet-touch-rinse-dry process only takes about 10 minutes per car.
Old 11-06-14, 07:14 AM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need soap, reasons have been listed as to why above already.
Old 11-06-14, 07:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

And there are numerous car wash solutions that do not remove existing wax on the car.
Old 11-06-14, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
And there are numerous car wash solutions that do not remove existing wax on the car.
Everything over time will wear away wax. Even just water, over time. On a hot day a wax coating can vaporize actually. You can combat this with sealants and permanent coatings like cquartz, OptiCoat, 22pLE, etc.

If anybody doesn't want to or can't use a hose to wash, I would recommend Optimum No Rinse:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Old 11-06-14, 09:45 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
Remember that product vendors are in the business of selling products. And, service vendors are in the business of selling services. If you let them decide the schedule and the process, they will have you do it far more often and use far more product than is really needed.

A huge part of keeping wax on a car is, to refrain from removing the old wax from the car. When you wash a car with soap, it removes the wax. If you remove your wax, then you have to put new wax on or go without.... That takes a lot of labor and material each time you do it.

I agree with your opinions about vendors trying to sell more products and service vendors trying to sell more service. Hell yeah lol, that is why and how they stay in business. It is just simply business.

However, I respectfully disagree with you on washing the car with water only. Like many others have pointed out, without proper lubrication, you will grind dirts/contaminants all over the paint and that will make more damage to the paint more than anything else. If you do this with a few times, I guarantee you will have swirl marks everywhere and if you do few more times, I guarantee you will have scratch and if you continue doing this, your factory clear coat will be gone quickly and in few years, your paint gonna be beat up. Then, the only recovery option is repainting it. I know you can save money from not buying car wash shampoo but it will cost way more to correct the paint itself. To be honest, car wash shampoo isn't that expensive. I spent roughly 50 bucks on it to wash 2 cars bi-weekly for the entire year. I think you are not that cheap lol.
Old 11-06-14, 09:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Let me add to that. Yikes!!
Old 11-06-14, 05:24 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH

What about the lubrication from the soap to help ensure that you're not inducing swirls in
your paint?
Old 11-10-14, 11:26 AM
lexus997
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try a synthetic paint sealant vs. wax. Synthetic paint sealants claim to last longer than waxes. I use Meguiar's #21 about 2x per year and live in the greater Cleveland, OH area. I would do it more, but I am covered in snow about 9 months out the year! I do not do much more than wash it from November - May due to the cold weather, snow, etc.

My process 2x per year is as follows:
  • clay bar
  • Megiar's #105 where needed, or the entire vehicle if it is the first time I am ever doing it
  • Meguiar's #205
  • Meguiar's #21 synthetic paint sealant

I do this before winter and after winter. After an initial use of #105, I usually only use this in spots as needed vs. doing the entire vehicle. Also, even with my 2x per year method, using the clay bar does not take that much time and the clay is pretty clean.

Last edited by lexus997; 11-10-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 03:00 PM
rustyd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aleksfox
Apologies if this has been discussed .. point me to it. I live in San Diego have the white, ok Starfire Pearl 2013 350ES. Garage at home; outside and not under cover at work. Obviously not a lot of rain, but lots of sun. Doesn't get too dirty but I have no interest in washing/waxing the car myself anymore. I do pay for the hand wax at the Car Wash .. but would be interested in suggestions as to how frequently to get waxed. Thanks.
Wax is overrated, you sound like a candidate for a sealant like Blackfire Crystal Seal. Takes 10 Minutes after the car is washed and dried and lasts forever. Do it once or twice a month and your good to go. If you have the car detailed by a professional, ask about a coating if you really don't want to do anything on your own.

Quick Reply: How often to wax??