Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 02:24 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!

My 2012 IS250 and 2006 IS350 have been opticoated for about 6 months now and I think this is the right time to put out a review. I highly recommend OPTICOAT especially on the new car to protect its paint for years to come.

Pros:
1. The water still bead and sheet like crazy even after 6 months so washing the car is so much faster and easier. Bottom line is, it is durable like a TANK!!!
2. The paint has always been glossy with the just-wax look after each regular 2-bucket car wash.
3. The car is less dirty than before. It repels dust better than wax/sealant I have used before.
4. Nothing can really stick to it. I can remove new or old bird bombs easily with just quick detailer.
5. It definitely has very strong chemical resistant because none of the bird bombs can etch through the coating. My blue IS350 parking outside on the street has been attacked by bird bombs on a weekly basis and sometimes the bombs are baked under hot sun in CA. So what, still no etching at all.
6. Great UV protection. My headlight on the 2012 IS250 are still sparkling new looking.
7. In heavy rain, if I drive over 40 MPH on the freeway, I don't really need to use windshield wipers because the water actually move upward and clear itself on the windshield. It is similar to the Rain-X product effect.

Cons:
1. It is not as slick as some quick detailer, wax or sealant.
2. It is not as glossy as some wax.
3. The paint is prone to finger prints. It is noticeable in a dark color car. However, you can clean them easily with any quick detailer.
4. Water or bird bombs baked under the sun can still give stain to the coating. The stain can really only be seen under bright light at a certain angle. This is not really a cons but I mention it so that people know it does not prevent stain. Nothing can really prevent stain lol. I can remove them with pure Vinegar. Recently I buy Carpro Spotless to dedicate to remove these stains.

pictures worth a thousand words so here we go

More pictures of my IS350 2006, and this is is more than 8 years old lol
It is me having fun pushing the car hard to the limit on autocross

Shiny, glossy, slick, wet looking paint

Name:  IMG_2479_zps85905371.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  124.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2480_zps28a82c8a.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  71.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2481_zpsbbd50b7c.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  108.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2482_zpsdf54c910.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  123.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2483_zpsbb8b2d56.jpg
Views: 1977
Size:  7.0 KB

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-09-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 04:34 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Great feedback! Thanks for sharing.

Paint coatings are definitely a great option for many car owners looking for maximum protection and ease of maintenance.
Old 11-05-14, 07:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the reminder...it's time for me to apply opti-coat again. A year ago, my company decided to paint the building but didn't tell anyone about it. My car received a 'special' white metallic overspray so removing it will most likely remove the opti-coat
Old 11-05-14, 08:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by GSteg
Thanks for the reminder...it's time for me to apply opti-coat again. A year ago, my company decided to paint the building but didn't tell anyone about it. My car received a 'special' white metallic overspray so removing it will most likely remove the opti-coat
If you can remove the over spray with detailing clay it will not effect the opti coat.
Old 11-05-14, 08:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Correct, but I'm stripping it off and doing it all over because I didn't get good coverage the first time around. The overspray is just an excuse for me to detail my car again.
Old 11-05-14, 09:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Correct, but I'm stripping it off and doing it all over because I didn't get good coverage the first time around. The overspray is just an excuse for me to detail my car again.
Ah, gotcha.

Are you going to use the new Gloss-Coat since Opti-Coat 2.0 is no longer available? or are you going to branch out to a different coating?
Old 11-05-14, 09:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I still have a lot of OC 2.0 left. it's suppose to have infinite shelf life as long as I purged the air out of the syringe. I can't afford to keep up with the Jones so the OC 2.0 will have to do for now
Old 11-05-14, 10:08 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Wait, they have Gloss-Coat??? How is that different from OC 2.0?? I guess it has everything OC 2.0 has but make it even shinier?
Old 11-05-14, 10:18 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I still have a lot of OC 2.0 left. it's suppose to have infinite shelf life as long as I purged the air out of the syringe. I can't afford to keep up with the Jones so the OC 2.0 will have to do for now
Assuming it has been stored indoors, out of light, it is probably OK... but infinite shelf life is incorrect. Check with Optimum on that one... I have heard anywhere from 1-2 years after the syringe has been opened (often times less due to poor storage).

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wait, they have Gloss-Coat??? How is that different from OC 2.0?? I guess it has everything OC 2.0 has but make it even shinier?
Yes, Opti-Coat 2.0 has been discontinued and replaced with a new product called Gloss Coat.

This new Gloss Coat product is supposed to provide up to two years of protection while offering a more visually appealing finish that is also slick to the touch instead of the tacky/grabby feel that Opti-Coat 2.0 had.

I have used Gloss Coat, and it was certainly easier to apply than 2.0 (which is already easy), and it did look great and have a slick feel to it as well.

This M3 underwent an extensive paint correction and was then coated with Optimum Gloss Coat. You can read the full write up by clicking here. I will also have a more in depth review of Gloss Coat on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog in the near future.
Old 11-05-14, 10:27 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Zach, so OC 2.0 last longer while Gloss Coat gives higher gloss and slicker feel.

Why does they discontinue OC 2.0 when it is so damn good?? Is the OC Pro still available? I hope they don't discontinue that lol.
Old 11-05-14, 11:44 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Zach, so OC 2.0 last longer while Gloss Coat gives higher gloss and slicker feel.

Why does they discontinue OC 2.0 when it is so damn good?? Is the OC Pro still available? I hope they don't discontinue that lol.
Optimum made some major changes to the way they are handling their professional and consumer coating businesses... I will spare you all the details, but I will say there was a lot of drama involved with these drastic changes, and it was enough for me to decide to part ways from Optimum and stop offering Opti-Coat Pro.

Yes, Opti-Coat Pro is still available to authorized professional installers, however it comes at a steeper price and with mandatory warranty coverage.

Opti-Coat 2.0 was discontinued largely for the reason that it was often being confused or falsely advertised as just "opti-coat" which led many unknowing consumers to believe it was the same as the professional version that was being offered at a higher price through authorized installers. Many of us Pro installers were being undercut by others claiming to have "the same thing" when in fact it was just 2.0. Also, while 2.0 was said to be 'permanent' keep in mind that it is common for the hydrophobic properties to diminish mostly after a couple of years in most cases. It may be permanent in that the coating is still present on the surface, but in reality, it truly should have been marketed as a 2ish year coating like most other consumer based coatings.

Gloss Coat can be thought of as an evolution of 2.0 in that it still provides great protection, but is marketed appropriately as a 2 year coating. It has also improved the ease of application, gloss, and they have eliminated that tacky feeling that was notorious of 2.0. The major downside of the new Gloss Coat product is the price. Gloss Coat somes in a 10cc syringe at $59.99 while 2.0 came in a 20cc syringe for $79.99.
Old 11-05-14, 02:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

According to Dr. G:

"10.-Assuming its kept indoors in 65-78 degrees what is the shelf life of Opti-Coat 2.0 before being opened by the consumer?

Opti-Coat 2.0 has an infinite shelf life as long as moisture is not introduced into the product."

Not like it matters though. I bet most people used up their 2.0 by now. I think I still have enough to apply 2 more cars. My tiny S2000 doesn't take much. lol
Old 11-05-14, 02:32 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

According to Dr. G:

"10.-Assuming its kept indoors in 65-78 degrees what is the shelf life of Opti-Coat 2.0 before being opened by the consumer?

Opti-Coat 2.0 has an infinite shelf life as long as moisture is not introduced into the product."

Not like it matters though. I bet most people used up their 2.0 by now. I think I still have enough to apply 2 more cars. My tiny S2000 doesn't take much. lol
I think the Opticoat will last a long time if it is maintained properly and if there is no abrasive polish apply to it and such.

If we wash it with 2 bucket system and touchless dry it with metro blaster every week and top it off with Carpro hydro2 sealant everything month. I believe the Opticoat will last many many years. The slickness, water beading/sheeting will still be super good with the addition of the sealant.
Old 11-06-14, 07:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

According to Dr. G:

Opti-Coat 2.0 has an infinite shelf life as long as moisture is not introduced into the product."l
^Great info... thanks for sharing

I think the Opticoat will last a long time if it is maintained properly and if there is no abrasive polish apply to it and such.

If we wash it with 2 bucket system and touchless dry it with metro blaster every week and top it off with Carpro hydro2 sealant everything month. I believe the Opticoat will last many many years. The slickness, water beading/sheeting will still be super good with the addition of the sealant.
^Yep, with a maintenance method like this, and topping the coating with additional protection, you will see incredible life out of any coating. Good plan
Old 12-03-14, 11:15 PM
nickhaaa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm excited to hear this. I'm picking up my GS tomorrow after getting the interior and exterior done in Opticoat. I'm fairly new to all of this. The car shop I took it to sold me on it.

Quick Reply: OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!