Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!

Old 06-02-16, 11:37 AM
ExclusiveAutoDetail
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I cannot believe I missed this thread... Thanks for the write up!

We were the ones to detail these beautiful cars! Glad you are enjoying them
Old 09-21-16, 03:38 PM
OCD619
Driver School Candidate

What it always comes down to for me about any paint coating.

Is that Opti Coat Pro is the only..ONLY car coating, that actually cross links, bonds, and becomes one with your clear coat.
All other Coatings out there claim to, but they actually are just a suspended resin on top of your clear coat.
Old 09-22-16, 07:32 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Think both his cars are C-Quartz UK now! haha
Old 10-07-16, 06:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I still have a lot of OC 2.0 left. it's suppose to have infinite shelf life as long as I purged the air out of the syringe. I can't afford to keep up with the Jones so the OC 2.0 will have to do for now
OK I've completely stripped off OC 2.0. It did what it claimed to do and that was to protect the paint, so the change was based on personal preference. I wanted more gloss and slickness, something OC wasn't known for. I really liked the CQuartz I applied on my brother's car, but decided to try other coatings. Came across the GTechniq Serum Light + EXO v2 combo. It takes more work to apply than CQuartz (and more finicky), but holy crap it’s far exceeded my expectations.

It’s super slick and the beading is unbelievable. Due to where I park my car at work, I’m guaranteed a layer of dust within a few days. I decided to wash my car so I hosed it down and I can see dust being collected by the water then drained away. I used my leaf blower and it effortlessly got rid of all the water on the paint faster than with CQuartz. What was supposed to be a normal car wash turned out to be a rinse and dry session. Never once did I touch the paint or used a drying towel. It’s no substitute for a full wash if my car gets bird crap on it, but the less I touch the paint, the better it is for me, especially if all I’m doing is removing dust.

Now the downside is that the combo cost more than CQuartz and the EXO layer last maybe 1-1.5 years. The Serum Light coating underneath last 3-4 years, but you can top off EXO when the time comes. I still can't get over the hydrophobic properties. Soap doesn't want to cling onto the paint!
Old 06-25-19, 11:00 PM
Nitro307
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nitro307
If you are to wash your car every week and use the sealant every month, there is no need of Opticoat.
Originally Posted by popping
Disagree with you on this. Sealants do not protect the paint as well as a coating would
Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I'll also have to disagree with this, and here is why....

While it is true that waxes, sealants, and coatings do all serve the same purpose.... providing a sacrificial barrier which protects your paint from the elements, they do not perform equally, and may also have other benefits aside from the traditional protection.

It is a proven fact that these paint coatings (ie cquartz, opti-coat, etc) do provide a longer lasting means of protection when compared to polymer sealants and natural waxes. It is also a common practice for those who have coated their vehicle, but still enjoy detailing it, to apply other layers of products (usually some form of sealant or wax) on top of it for added protection, gloss, etc. There are pros and cons to doing this, but that is besides the point for this discussion.

Having a base layer of opti-coat (or other coating) does provide significant benefit (in my opinion), even if you're planning on continuing to maintain it with a sealant or wax on a regular basis. Paint coatings provide a thicker barrier which will take the majority of normal abuse over the years and therefore sparing your paint from having to take said abuse. Things like light swirls and marring, bird droppings, and hard water will have a much harder time penetrating through the paint coating than a traditional sealant. Since these coatings truly add material back to the surface, you will not be removing as much paint the next time the vehicle is polished... this is truly one of the most important features to me.

So... if someone wishes to really protect their paint, a coating is always a good idea in my opinion... even if you are still going to top it with another product of your choice.
Wax can certainly be applied on top of a coating, however the durability will be reduced. No big deal though if you don't mind waxing every month or two
Originally Posted by AeroZ
great product, my question is can wax be applied for extra shine or it's just not gonna stick since it makes the surface like glass?
Here is why it is a bad idea to apply wax over a ceramic or any other hydrophobic coating.
Hydrophobic coatings result in micro structures on the surface like small hills that cause the hydrophobic effect. It is intended to be like that and is designed to mimic topography of natually occuring hydrophobic surfaces e.g. lotus leaf. When you apply wax on top of this coating, you fill the vallies between these hills and remove the benefits of hydrophobic ceramic coating.

Last edited by Nitro307; 06-25-19 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 09:35 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Agree X3

Originally Posted by Nitro307
If you are to wash your car every week and use the sealant every month, there is no need of Opticoat.
NOT !

Originally Posted by popping
Disagree with you on this. Sealants do not protect the paint as well as a coating would
Agreed !

I'll also have to disagree with this, and here is why....
While it is true that waxes, sealants, and coatings do all serve the same purpose.... providing a sacrificial barrier which protects your paint from the elements, they do not perform equally, and may also have other benefits aside from the traditional protection.
It is a proven fact that these paint coatings (ie cquartz, opti-coat, etc) do provide a longer lasting means of protection when compared to polymer sealants and natural waxes. It is also a common practice for those who have coated their vehicle, but still enjoy detailing it, to apply other layers of products (usually some form of sealant or wax) on top of it for added protection, gloss, etc. There are pros and cons to doing this, but that is besides the point for this discussion.
Having a base layer of opti-coat (or other coating) does provide significant benefit (in my opinion), even if you're planning on continuing to maintain it with a sealant or wax on a regular basis. Paint coatings provide a thicker barrier which will take the majority of normal abuse over the years and therefore sparing your paint from having to take said abuse. Things like light swirls and marring, bird droppings, and hard water will have a much harder time penetrating through the paint coating than a traditional sealant. Since these coatings truly add material back to the surface, you will not be removing as much paint the next time the vehicle is polished... this is truly one of the most important features to me.
So... if someone wishes to really protect their paint, a coating is always a good idea in my opinion... even if you are still going to top it with another product of your choice.
Agreed ! - CQuartz Finest Reserve done atop FULL PPF. Also, as "FSportIS" stated above - Nothing beats a Master Blaster too!!