Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 04:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nickhaaa
I'm excited to hear this. I'm picking up my GS tomorrow after getting the interior and exterior done in Opticoat. I'm fairly new to all of this. The car shop I took it to sold me on it.
Mind sharing the name of the shop who is doing the work?
Old 12-22-14, 11:53 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow great info. Thanks for the review. In the meantime I was just happy to be able to wash both Lexus after two solid weeks of rain. Went at it like a mad man spending over four hours detailing both vehicles. That was driving me nuts! Now we have a week of sunshine Yaay.
Attached Thumbnails OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!-img_20141221_135441_015.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 01-10-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 03:34 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have uploaded more pictures of my 8 year old IS350 2006 that is still shinning like brand new lol but this baby isn't easy to keep it clean like this lol.
Old 01-25-15, 02:24 AM
AeroZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great product, my question is can wax be applied for extra shine or it's just not gonna stick since it makes the surface like glass?
Old 01-25-15, 07:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by AeroZ
great product, my question is can wax be applied for extra shine or it's just not gonna stick since it makes the surface like glass?
Wax can certainly be applied on top of a coating, however the durability will be reduced. No big deal though if you don't mind waxing every month or two
Old 04-25-15, 06:56 AM
Nitro307
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I think the Opticoat will last a long time if it is maintained properly and if there is no abrasive polish apply to it and such.

If we wash it with 2 bucket system and touchless dry it with metro blaster every week and top it off with Carpro hydro2 sealant everything month. I believe the Opticoat will last many many years. The slickness, water beading/sheeting will still be super good with the addition of the sealant.
If you are to wash your car every week and use the sealant every month, there is no need of Opticoat.
Old 04-25-15, 12:37 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro307
If you are to wash your car every week and use the sealant every month, there is no need of Opticoat.
Disagree with you on this. Sealants do not protect the paint as well as a coating would
Old 04-25-15, 01:31 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Nitro307
I'll also have to disagree with this, and here is why....

While it is true that waxes, sealants, and coatings do all serve the same purpose.... providing a sacrificial barrier which protects your paint from the elements, they do not perform equally, and may also have other benefits aside from the traditional protection.

It is a proven fact that these paint coatings (ie cquartz, opti-coat, etc) do provide a longer lasting means of protection when compared to polymer sealants and natural waxes. It is also a common practice for those who have coated their vehicle, but still enjoy detailing it, to apply other layers of products (usually some form of sealant or wax) on top of it for added protection, gloss, etc. There are pros and cons to doing this, but that is besides the point for this discussion.

Having a base layer of opti-coat (or other coating) does provide significant benefit (in my opinion), even if you're planning on continuing to maintain it with a sealant or wax on a regular basis. Paint coatings provide a thicker barrier which will take the majority of normal abuse over the years and therefore sparing your paint from having to take said abuse. Things like light swirls and marring, bird droppings, and hard water will have a much harder time penetrating through the paint coating than a traditional sealant. Since these coatings truly add material back to the surface, you will not be removing as much paint the next time the vehicle is polished... this is truly one of the most important features to me.

So... if someone wishes to really protect their paint, a coating is always a good idea in my opinion... even if you are still going to top it with another product of your choice.
Old 05-17-15, 09:37 AM
eca5
Driver School Candidate

Default opti coat

anyone no of opti coat dealers in or near pittsburgh area ?
Old 05-17-15, 09:49 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Know idea.
Old 05-17-15, 10:03 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by eca5
anyone no of opti coat dealers in or near pittsburgh area ?
http://opti-coat.net/approved-dealers.php
Old 05-20-16, 05:36 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

I am about to coat my ride and was deciding between Opti Coat Pro and Pro Plus. Plus will run 200 dollars more and was wondering if that is justifiable especially since it seems Pro is already pretty stellar. Anyone compared the difference in real life to share an opinion?

Originally Posted by NickTee
Know idea.
And lol
Old 05-20-16, 05:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Your installer should have all the info you need to help make that decision
Old 05-23-16, 06:20 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

So which coating on the market gives the best overall value and ease of application for that consumer putting it on himself?
Old 05-23-16, 10:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Diesel350
So which coating on the market gives the best overall value and ease of application for that consumer putting it on himself?
To date, with everything I have tested on my personal vehicles, I would recommend 22ple VX3 Signature Coating as far as the best "bang for your buck"... this product offers great protection, very easy application, and a very nice finished appearance.

22ple VX3 Signature Glass Coating – Product Review and Application
by Zach McGovern

Quick Reply: OPTICOAT review after 6 months, it is AMAZING!!!