Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Minor bumper scratch and rash repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 01:16 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Zach, that is very informative.

I think there is yet another alternative to fix these not too deep scratch. I have personally use Dr Color Chip and have great results fixing the front bumper hit by debris and rock on my friend's car not too long ago. I'm not sure how it work on the long hairline scratch yet but I think it should be good.

OP, you might want to take a look into this http://www.drcolorchip.com/

This method does not require removing any clear coat so you actually preserve the precious OEM paint.

My next project will be the Dr. Colorchip. Great to hear another success story.
Old 11-06-14, 03:53 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
I was able to repair most of the scratches on the bumper.

I'm now addicted to detailing. I had so many swirls. Here was my process:

1) Washed wheels, then washed car with Optimum Car Wash using 2 bucket method w/Grit Guard (awesome blueberry (?) scent btw), dried using sheet method and DI Waffle Microfiber towel.
2) Clay
3) Lake Country Orange Pad with Menzerna FG400 compound. After going over the scratch on the bumper with 6 passes, it was about half gone.
4) I then used the Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad with FG400. After 6 passes, most of the light scratches were gone. Did another 6 passes and it was even better. Then did another 6 passes, and it was almost all gone except for a couple deep scratches that you can barely see unless you shine a direct light on them. I am super happy with the results and have learned to live with it. As you have mentioned, it is my daily driver so I expect to get more in the future. Decided not to compromise the clear coat by wetsanding. The result is good enough for me, compared to what it was before.
5) So after buffing out the bumper, I worked on the trunk lid with the LC Orange pad and FG400. After 6 passes it was good but didn't completely remove swirls. I changed to Purple pad and after 6 passes, it was gone.
6) For the rest of the car, I used the Purple pad with FG400 and 6 passes for each section. This completely removed all swirls.
7) Used Menzerna 4500 polish with LC Black pad
8) Used Menzerna Power Lock sealant with LC Blue pad. Fortunate to have a garage, so I left the sealant on overnight.
9) Applied second coat of PL Sealant.

Overall, took me around 12 hours haha

Now I'm debating on applying a coat of wax. I have some Meguiars Black Wax paste laying around. Would you all recommend applying it? Or leave it as be with the PL Sealant as the lsp?

It's been raining so I haven't had a chance to take a decent pic for comparison ( I know, worthless w/o pics...)

Thanks again for all the tips/info! Any additional tips/feedback would be appreciated.

This all makes sense now and looking back, I was washing the car SO wrong ( what was I thinking? ). I have less regret about owning a black car now. So addicted to the slick and shine of a black car, now only if I can maintain it...
I suggest after working so hard, you should put a coating on it to seal off the current good condition. This adds some thickness to the clear coat so next time you see swirl, the coating you have now will act as a barrier coat. By doing it, you preserve your original clear coat from further being thinned out by the next polish. I had Opticoat 2.0 on both cars and after 6 months, it is still working good.

Last edited by FSportIS; 11-06-14 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 08:51 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,

wanted to post a before and after pic. hope this helps anyone who needs to repair minor bumper scratches. thanks to all on this forum for the instruction/advice/tips!

Old 11-26-14, 10:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job man!