Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine--How to

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 12:10 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like you do have a great plan. That's how you do it.. Good job.

Maybe first time around add some wax after so that second time around is much easier.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have been doing 2 water buckets wash and dry with drying aid like quick detailer. My cars paint have been almost flawless for years. This method works well in the summer but not so good in the winter when it is so cold outside.

I have read a lot of good reviews on Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and would like to try it out myself. I'm thinking of doing the following:
1. Rinse the car with water to get rid of as much dust as possible.
2. Mix 1oz of ONR with 2 gallons of water.
3. Wash one section at a time.
4. Clean the wash mitt with the 2nd bucket water with the grit guard.
5. Continue step (3) and (4) from top to bottom.
6. Dry the entire car with absorber or with quick detailer.

That is my plan. I would like to hear your opinions on that plan as well as how you would approach it properly. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-19-14, 07:05 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

GD method FTW... you can even use OOS as a drying aid (one spray per panel, 2 for hood), works like a charm. i no longer use products with wax and or gloss enhancers. i only use ONR.
Old 11-24-14, 08:33 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I washed my car today for the 1st time with ONR. This will certainly be my go-to method this winter. But......

how do y'all clean the tires??
Old 11-24-14, 09:29 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I washed my car today for the 1st time with ONR. This will certainly be my go-to method this winter. But......

how do y'all clean the tires??
I have some microfiber towels to clean the tires while I use a dedicated wash mitt to clean the paint. NEVER clean the paint and tires with the same thing!
Old 11-24-14, 11:25 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Update: I have tries the ONR last week and find it absolutely amazing.
Pros:
1. Easy to clean. Only 2-3 passes with little to no pressure make the surface clean.
2. Even though it has no foam, it is slicker than regular car shampoo and it encapsulates dirts/grime very well.
3. NO RINSE before nor after the wash so I use a LOT LESS WATER.
4. Multiple purpose: 1oz to 2 gallons = car wash, 2 oz to 1 gallons = clay bar lubricants, 1:16 ratio = quick detailer. Therefore, clay barring with ONR as lubricants save money!
5. No marring, no minor scratch, no swirl provided you use the products properly with no hard rubbing. I was skeptical about this product at first but it exceeds my expectation.
6. No tiny water spot even if dry not fast enough with 1oz to 2 gallons water dilution ratio. I guess the product has some type of water softener in there.

Neutral:
1. Take about the same time to wash and dry the car just like with regular car shampoo.
2. You can not wash the whole car all at once like you used to with the traditional car shampoo. You need do each panel at a time by washing and drying. I don't like this approach much.

Cons:
1. It STAINS all wash media and they can not be rinsed out in the rinse buckets. I have scrub it hard against the grit guard in the rinse buckets but those dirts will not release. I have tried different wash mitts and micro fiber towels and all of them look very dark and dirty after the car wash. I don't have this problem with a regular shampoo. I have to use dish wash to clean the wash media afterward. I heard that the sponge such as Country Lake blue Sponge works better with the product so I'm going to try it soon.
2. If you diluted way more than 1oz to 2 gallons of water and you don't dry the car fast enough, you would have some streak. Therefore, you should use 1oz to 2 gallons ratio and dry it as soon as you finish washing each panel.
Old 12-17-14, 10:02 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Update:
Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge that I bought from Zach works perfect with ONR because it releases all dirts in a matter of seconds squeezing the sponge in the rinse bucket. No more staining issue. I was skeptical at first but this sponge really cleaned well withOUT creating any fine swirl. Make sure you use little to no pressure when you wash. The ONR will do most of the cleaning for you.

If you use ONR, pair it with this blue sponge. These two are made to work together
Old 12-17-14, 11:27 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the Garry Dean method is way better to avoid swirls and scratches as you never reintroduce a dirty wash media into the wash bucket. And it eliminates the need for a rinse bucket, making it easier for people with water restrictions.

I just fill the bucket with one gallon of distilled water and ONR and throw in 16 MF's, 4 of which are dedicated for wheels and tires. Then everything goes to the washing machine. Love it!
Old 12-18-14, 05:45 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
... Make sure you use little to no pressure when you wash. The ONR will do most of the cleaning for you ......
I tried ONR for the first time, and was really disappointed until I discovered this nugget of information.I had only done 1/2 a panel, but it swirled the paint pretty badly, and was about to dump the bucket and give up. Thankfully, I realized the problem was my long time habit of using a little to much pressure to clean the paint, and had no swirls for the rest of the car. My next concern was all the dirt I was afraid was trapped in my microfiber, so I kept changing towels. I think I'll try this sponge instead. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-18-14, 09:37 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I tried ONR for the first time, and was really disappointed until I discovered this nugget of information.I had only done 1/2 a panel, but it swirled the paint pretty badly, and was about to dump the bucket and give up. Thankfully, I realized the problem was my long time habit of using a little to much pressure to clean the paint, and had no swirls for the rest of the car. My next concern was all the dirt I was afraid was trapped in my microfiber, so I kept changing towels. I think I'll try this sponge instead. Thanks for the tip!
In my case, I have tried various microfiber from low end to high end, and a bunch of wash mitts... all of which have same staining issue. I researched online and find out that ONR chemically break down the dirts. The bigger dirts will get released in the rinse bucket while the finer smaller dirts will get trapped in the microfiber or washmitts. They said that the stain does not really cause any harm because they are so fine plus ONR puts out a polymer protective layer on when you wash. Also, it is more slick than regular shampoo.

The stain on the microfiber can easily be washed off in washing machine though but still I don't like doing this as one of my purpose of using ONR is SAVING water lol. Anyways, the sponge solved the problem. It has no stain issue because all dirts (small or big) are released in the rinse bucket almost instantly and completely plus I don't need to put the sponge in the washing machine after every wash so I save water because it is very clean still. Also, it has good cleaning ability. Again, use very light pressure and do NOT rub it like a mad man lol.

I would recommend you mix 2oz of ONR with 1 gallon of water and put this into a bottle with sprayer. Spray it thoroughly before you wash. This will further help preventing swirl marks.

Like Zach suggested many times, if your car is heavily soiled with dirts, grime, salt etc you better use pressure washer in the auto car wash first to remove those first and then do the ONR next.
Old 12-18-14, 09:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
IMO the Garry Dean method is way better to avoid swirls and scratches as you never reintroduce a dirty wash media into the wash bucket. And it eliminates the need for a rinse bucket, making it easier for people with water restrictions.

I just fill the bucket with one gallon of distilled water and ONR and throw in 16 MF's, 4 of which are dedicated for wheels and tires. Then everything goes to the washing machine. Love it!
Yeah, I do agree and it is the safest way too because the paint always see fresh part of the microfiber. I have tried it and like everything except the last part: washing these microfibers afterward in the washing machine. That is extra work plus a lot of water used in the washing machine which defeats the purpose of saving water.

With the sponge + ONR, I still achieve same results without extra work of cleaning tons of microfibers and no extra water is wasted.

Again, even though I like Garry Dean method, I still prefer sponge + ONR.

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-18-14 at 09:47 AM.