Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine--How to

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 10:28 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine--How to

I have been doing 2 water buckets wash and dry with drying aid like quick detailer. My cars paint have been almost flawless for years. This method works well in the summer but not so good in the winter when it is so cold outside.

I have read a lot of good reviews on Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and would like to try it out myself. I'm thinking of doing the following:
1. Rinse the car with water to get rid of as much dust as possible.
2. Mix 1oz of ONR with 2 gallons of water.
3. Wash one section at a time.
4. Clean the wash mitt with the 2nd bucket water with the grit guard.
5. Continue step (3) and (4) from top to bottom.
6. Dry the entire car with absorber or with quick detailer.

That is my plan. I would like to hear your opinions on that plan as well as how you would approach it properly. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-23-14, 11:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I use (and love) ONR.

Before I wash any one panel, I spray it down with quick detailer, even if it's still wet from a rinse, to ensure good lubrication. Then I use the mitt as you've described.

I would not use the Absorber in this application. I dry off each panel, as I go, by patting it down with a high quality waffle weave towel.
Old 10-23-14, 06:34 PM
chenalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a good product for those with water use restrictions in SoCal?
Old 10-23-14, 06:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by chenalex
Is this a good product for those with water use restrictions in SoCal?
I use 6 gallons to wash my car (3 gallons of soapy water, and 3 of rinse water). That's not much water for a car wash.
Old 11-10-14, 08:20 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Which is option is "better"?

a) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine followed by Optimum Car Wax spray
b) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax followed by Optimum Car Wax spray (overkill?)
c) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax

Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-14, 12:35 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
Hi, Which is option is "better"? a) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine followed by Optimum Car Wax spray b) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax followed by Optimum Car Wax spray (overkill?) c) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax Thanks in advance
Option A would be my preferred method, but any of the 3 are completely fine. I would not rely on ONRWW as a stand alone lsp though, and if u are just using OCW then be sure you use it fairly regularly.
Old 11-13-14, 06:58 AM
Neomoogle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have been doing 2 water buckets wash and dry with drying aid like quick detailer. My cars paint have been almost flawless for years. This method works well in the summer but not so good in the winter when it is so cold outside.

I have read a lot of good reviews on Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and would like to try it out myself. I'm thinking of doing the following:
1. Rinse the car with water to get rid of as much dust as possible.
2. Mix 1oz of ONR with 2 gallons of water.
3. Wash one section at a time.
4. Clean the wash mitt with the 2nd bucket water with the grit guard.
5. Continue step (3) and (4) from top to bottom.
6. Dry the entire car with absorber or with quick detailer.

That is my plan. I would like to hear your opinions on that plan as well as how you would approach it properly. Thank you in advance.
That's exactly how I use it and it's worked very well. I started using ONR a few years ago and I've fallen in love with it. Just make sure your wash mitt is always thoroughly wet before putting it on your paint and you'll be fine.
Old 11-13-14, 08:26 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neomoogle
That's exactly how I use it and it's worked very well. I started using ONR a few years ago and I've fallen in love with it. Just make sure your wash mitt is always thoroughly wet before putting it on your paint and you'll be fine.
so you all rinse the car first? is this necessary if the car is really dirty? or do you this every time you use ONR?

Just trying to understand the reasoning behind this since the purpose of the product is "No Rinse". Thanks
Old 11-13-14, 08:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
so you all rinse the car first? is this necessary if the car is really dirty? or do you this every time you use ONR?

Just trying to understand the reasoning behind this since the purpose of the product is "No Rinse". Thanks
If the car is pretty dirty, it is often useful to do a quick pressure rinse just to help knock off some of the heavier debris. Otherwise, it is not needed at all.

For instance, in the winter, I will pressure wash the car to remove the salt/crud buildup, then do a rinseless wash in the garage to finish it off.

In the summer, I will simply wash with ONR with no rinsing beforehand.

In any case, I always pre-soak a panel with rinseless wash before wiping, just to add additional lubrication.

- Rinse (optional unless very dirty)
- Presoak panel by misting ONR solution onto surface
- Wash panel (start with roof, hood, trunk, then work your way around the sides)
- Dry Panel
- Repeat until entire car has been cleaned

Hope that helps.

-Zach
Old 11-17-14, 10:26 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Guys, with the traditional 2 water bucket wash, I normally dry the entire car after final rinse. However, with the rinseless method, it seems like we have to dry immediately panel by panel. I wonder if we don't dry fast enough, will it leave any streaks or water spots??
Old 11-17-14, 10:52 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried ONR with a Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer?
It would seem to have the best of 2 worlds.
Reduction in touches
Goodness of the ONR as a cleaning solution.
Possibly putting 1 oz or so in the foamaster container and fill with H2O to dilute.
Just throwing this out there as I have ONR and I'm looking at the foamaster.
Old 11-17-14, 11:12 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have the foammaster and use it on my regular wash, I rinse the car with water first to get rid of the dirt as much as possible and then I foam the car with foammaster so the paint is totally lubricated. Next, I start washing the entire car. Finally, I rinse the entire car and dry.

I think I'm going to do the same like I used to do with the regular shampoo. The only step that is different is no rinse at the very end.

I don't like washing panel at a time and I plan to wash the entire car with ONR like the regular shampoo but without the final rinse. Finally, I dry the entire car all at once. Will this create any streaks, haze or water spot if I don't dry fast enough?? That is my current concern.
Old 11-17-14, 11:23 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have the foammaster and use it on my regular wash, I rinse the car with water first to get rid of the dirt as much as possible and then I foam the car with foammaster so the paint is totally lubricated. Next, I start washing the entire car. Finally, I rinse the entire car and dry.

I think I'm going to do the same like I used to do with the regular shampoo. The only step that is different is no rinse at the very end.
Thank you,
Any idea as to planned dilution of the ONR?
Old 11-17-14, 11:36 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

1oz to 2 gallons per instruction. Is this diluted enough for NO streaks and haze if not dry fast enough??
Old 11-17-14, 11:51 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

I must have misunderstood. I thought that you were putting the ONR in the foamaster container and if that was so and the foamaster takes the solution in its container and mixes with the water from the hose attachment. It would be hard for me to determine the 1 oz / 2 gallon ratio. That's why I threw out the 1 oz in the foamaster container and fill with water as a point of discussion.

Quick Reply: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine--How to