Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water sheeting on windows.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 09:58 AM
DnJ90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Water sheeting on windows.

As the title says,Water seems to be sheeting on the rear and side windows as apposed to shooting off if that makes sense also,the windshield seems like it has a film on it as well.Only really noticeable in the rain at night.The windows on this car were horrendous from the beginning, with hard water deposits.Drove me nuts till I discovered Bar Keepers friend. Any idea what would cause this or how to fix it?
Old 10-17-14, 11:41 AM
rustyd
Rookie

If on the exterior, its probably some kind of film or window treatment that has not come off. I had same issue on one of my cars and a detailer friend had me use chrome polish to get the film off and it worked like a charm. Use a foam applicator pad, let haze, wipe off.
Old 10-18-14, 01:38 PM
DnJ90
Rookie

Thanks for the info! Will give it a shot!Tried the chrome polish on the side windows to get the water marks off and it didn't do anything.But will give it a shot for this and see what happens.
Old 10-19-14, 08:18 AM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

From personal experience, using a claybar can help a lot on windows with hard water deposits. However, if the water spots have been on there for a VERY long time (like yours) it's best to start polishing it's amazing what polishing glass can do for visibility and the overall appearance!
Old 10-20-14, 09:40 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocchan
From personal experience, using a claybar can help a lot on windows with hard water deposits. However, if the water spots have been on there for a VERY long time (like yours) it's best to start polishing it's amazing what polishing glass can do for visibility and the overall appearance!
Yep, go at it with a claybar before you start polishing, clay is very effective at removing set in stains and any surface contaminants that conventional washing is unable to dislodge.
Old 10-20-14, 05:36 PM
DnJ90
Rookie

Will try the clay bar.What product do you recommenced for the polishing part?

Last edited by DnJ90; 10-21-14 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 05:47 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply. If you want something off-the-shelf, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and/or Polish does the trick really well for me on glass.
Old 10-28-14, 05:34 PM
DnJ90
Rookie

No worries.Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-14, 05:40 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Curious how this came out. I had bad water spots on a previous car, and really struggled to get them out. (Hint: Don't park your car at work where lawn sprinklers may get it, then let it bake in HOT sun for the next 8 hours!) I never really got the spots out completely, but they were much harder to see when I finally gave up.

I had a friend of mine that is a chemist, suggested that I soak a cloth in white vinegar, and let it sit on the water spots for a while. Apparently the vinegar is supposed to chemically break down the calcium deposits that make up most water spots. I didn't really work as well as I had hoped, but I honestly think my spots were much worse than the average case.
Old 10-30-14, 12:28 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

If you leave the water spots on your paint for too long, they can actually etch into your paint. Only way to completely get them out requires you to correct the area with a polisher!

Also, from personal experience, a vinegar bath has had great results on water spots that were still pretty recent!
Old 10-30-14, 06:27 PM
DnJ90
Rookie

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Curious how this came out. I had bad water spots on a previous car, and really struggled to get them out. (Hint: Don't park your car at work where lawn sprinklers may get it, then let it bake in HOT sun for the next 8 hours!) I never really got the spots out completely, but they were much harder to see when I finally gave up.

I had a friend of mine that is a chemist, suggested that I soak a cloth in white vinegar, and let it sit on the water spots for a while. Apparently the vinegar is supposed to chemically break down the calcium deposits that make up most water spots. I didn't really work as well as I had hoped, but I honestly think my spots were much worse than the average case.
I haven't had time to do the clay bar yet.One of the many things I tried was vinegar and it did nothing.The only thing that worked was Barkeepers friend that I followed up with Invisi Glass.
Old 11-01-14, 12:04 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

degreaser, clay bar, razor blade... glass coating. DONE...