Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

What products do you use to clean your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 02:16 PM
HiepNotik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Keep in mind that while the products you use are important, the process you use is even more important.

You should practice the 3 bucket wash method to help keep your vehicle looking it's best for longer periods of time.

If you want any specific product recommendations, just let me know... happy to help.

-Zach
Thanks!

I've actually got one of your post booked marked where you replied with all the products you use for each part of your car. I'm gonna watch a video on you tube about the 3 bucket wash.

Do you use a pressure washer? If so which brand? And at which PSI should I be looking at that. Won't start stripping my paint?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-14, 02:52 PM
ValuesGirl
Driver School Candidate

Default Also Frequency

I was spoiled and lazy with my old dirt-gold colored car and now have a less forgiving dark pearl blue exterior w/ ivory interior. How often should I wash and wax (I have a garage- also a lot of polleny trees in yard) and what kind for protection? Thank you.
Old 10-15-14, 07:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by HiepNotik
Thanks! I've actually got one of your post booked marked where you replied with all the products you use for each part of your car. I'm gonna watch a video on you tube about the 3 bucket wash. Do you use a pressure washer? If so which brand? And at which PSI should I be looking at that. Won't start stripping my paint? Thanks.
You do not need to mess with a pressure washer.... It's too much of a hassle for weekly maintenance.
Old 10-15-14, 07:46 PM
HiepNotik
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
You do not need to mess with a pressure washer.... It's too much of a hassle for weekly maintenance.
Ok cool, what about attachments for garden hose, any recommendation?
Old 10-15-14, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had a darker color I might do otherwise, but believe it or not I just use a hose and a microfiber cloth to clean my car. No soap because that removes sealant. If I go through a dirty winter of ice/mud I take it to a good carwash for a decent cleaning. I then use Wolf's Harbody on it as a sealant. If get any type of road crud (tar, etc.) I clay the area, then use the Worf's product. I use Lexol on the leather seats. My paint looks brand new.
Old 10-16-14, 06:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If I had a darker color I might do otherwise, but believe it or not I just use a hose and a microfiber cloth to clean my car. No soap because that removes sealant. If I go through a dirty winter of ice/mud I take it to a good carwash for a decent cleaning. I then use Wolf's Harbody on it as a sealant. If get any type of road crud (tar, etc.) I clay the area, then use the Worf's product. I use Lexol on the leather seats. My paint looks brand new.
This is very misleading information....

Soap is absolutely critical for the wash process... the suds effectively capture and lift dirt from the surface of the vehicle, making for a much easier cleaning process. Also, shampoos contain added lubricants to make washing safer.

There are plenty of shampoos that will not remove sealants or waxes when used properly. If you do not follow the recommended dilution ratios, yes, many shampoos can degrade or remove sealants.

Optimum Car Wash is a fantastic maintenance shampoo, as is Meguiar's D111.