Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dishwasher soap wash before waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 08:30 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dishwasher soap wash before waxing?

Hey all.

Tomorrow I'll be waxing my car and I've been told that dishwasher soap is a good idea to remove everything (including an old wax layer) before applying a new wax coat. I also read that you should clay the surface before waxing, which is not an option for me... I'd rather just wash and wax.

Thoughts? Comments? Dishwasher soap (I'd be using Sunlight) vs. Mcguire Gold class?
Old 09-19-14, 09:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I never recommend using dish soap... personally if all you have is Meguiar's Gold Class, I would simply use a higher dilution ration than what is recommended on the label.

I think I remember reading that it is 1oz shampoo per gallon of water, if so, double it to make 2 oz per gallon so you have a stronger solution to help degrade the existing layer of wax.
Old 09-19-14, 08:23 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why no clay?

why isn't clay an option? It is super simple to use and will really make a difference and also remove the old wax..and not harm like dish wash soap could…Clay will make the paint smooth again..there is no wash product that can do that.. If you want to do the job right also POLISH after wash/clay and before wax (do two coats of wax too)

Old 09-20-14, 09:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The thing about dishwashing soap is that it's not designed to clean the type of dirt found on a car. It is made to remove grease and food debris from glass and metal and may not have the necessary lubricity to avoid scratching the paint of a car. Most of them also contain emollients to keep hands soft and avoid drying of the skin which can leave a film on the paint. They also contain a lot of sodium and that is apt to get into cracks and crevices where it could contact bare metal and accelerate formation of rust. These are likely the reasons the manufacturer doesn't recommend its use on automotive paint.

This quote from Procter & Gamble on using Dawn dishwashing liquid on cars:
Is it OK to use hand dishwashing liquid on my car?
Answer
We do not recommend using hand dishwashing liquid on cars as we have not tested the product for use on cars.
The ingredients normally found in dishwashing detergents: sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium pareth-23, sulfate C-12-14-16, dimethyl amine oxide, SD alcohol, undeceth-9, propylene glycol, cyclohexandiamine, polyacetate and protease. The other ingredients listed include water, fragrance and coloring.

The ingredients in Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash, for example: Cocamido Propyl Betaine, Lauryl Ether Sulfate, Coconut Diethanolamide, Diethanolamine.