Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Automotive Care & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Remove harden brake dust

Old 08-09-14, 07:14 AM   #1
E350h
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Remove harden brake dust

I just bought a set of isf wheels they have harden brake dust on them. How do I remove without damaging the paint or clear coat. Anyone have this issue
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
E350h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:51 PM   #2
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
Trader Score: (3)

have you tried normal soap and brush yet? next step would be a sonax or iron x on the wheels. Let it dwell and dissolve the deposits.
Haruhiko Tanahashi(Chief engineer):"when I was thinking of the LFA's character I was thinking of the whole women. A woman can be passionate and elegant, but she is also capable of being quite exciting and has a need to be dominated"
Jetfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 07:18 AM   #3
E350h
Driver School Candidate

I've tried soap n a brush but still nothing I am goin to buy sonax next but they don't sell it at my local auto zone
Old 08-10-14, 11:09 AM   #4
VTsuckah
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

You've got to buy sonax at websites such as autogeek or detailers domain, both of which are vendors on this forum. Make sure you buy some iron x. It is some great stuff and can be used on your paint as well.
VTsuckah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 07:25 PM   #5
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

sydtoosic

Try the iron x first, a quality wheel brush and some elbow grease will do the trick. The Sonax may not be strong enough if the brake dust is as hard as you say. Seal your wheels when you're done.
Old 08-11-14, 05:03 AM   #6
E350h
Driver School Candidate

Ok I will try that but what do you mean by seal your wheel
Old 08-11-14, 10:16 AM   #7
zmcgovern4
Lexus Champion

AttentiontoDetailingPeoria zmcgovern45

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350h View Post
Ok I will try that but what do you mean by seal your wheel
As already mentioned, CarPro IronX and Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus may be great options for removing the build up crud on these wheels. If the buildup is that severe, it may take some time, and many rounds of cleaning, so do not expect it to be as easy as spray on, wipe off. Routine maintenance and protection of wheels is crucial, and clearly these wheels must have been neglected. Hopefully you can bring them back to life.

As far as sealing you wheels... a wheel sealant will help to provide a layer of protection between your wheel and the elements. This sealant helps to make routine cleaning easier and will help your wheels look cleaner for longer periods of time. This video shows my wheels that have been sealed wtih CarPro Hydro2. You will notice that water beads up and is repelled by the wheels due to the hydrophobic properties of the sealant. This product typically lasts 1-2 months on wheels, and it can also be used on paint, glass, plastic, metal, etc.

Proper protection for your paint is also critical. This video shows my vehicle, which has been coated with a premium ceramic paint coating, easily repelling water and dirt.

My hood was coated with CQuartz Finest 12 months ago for testing purposes when I became an authorized installer for this product. In this video, the vehicle is dirty and has not been washed in approximately 1 month (yes, one month ). You'll notice the car still looks quite good for not being washed in such a long period of time, and the protection is still evident despite the layer of dirt on the paint.

Hope that helps.

-Zach

Megan EZ Coilovers|Trunk Lip|Roof Spoiler|Redouts|M2 Axle Back Exhaust|CF Vinyl Interior|GFX Sides
Xenon Depot 6000k HIDs & LEDs|MRR GF07 19x8.5+35/19x10.5+40|Hankook V12 235/35 & 275/30

I <3 Detailing

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 08-11-14 at 10:20 AM..
zmcgovern4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 09:18 PM   #8
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

I've had great success with Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. If they're really dirty you're gonna have to use a brush. Get yourself a boar's hair brush and you won't have to worry about scratching them in the process.
Pkp1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 03:52 PM   #9
PondScum
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkp1903 View Post
I've had great success with Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. If they're really dirty you're gonna have to use a brush. Get yourself a boar's hair brush and you won't have to worry about scratching them in the process.
He wrote that he needs something strong. Full Effect isn't even Sonax's strongest wheel cleaner. Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is 30% stronger than their Wheel Cleaner Full Effect.
PondScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 08:18 PM   #10
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PondScum View Post
He wrote that he needs something strong. Full Effect isn't even Sonax's strongest wheel cleaner. Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is 30% stronger than their Wheel Cleaner Full Effect.
If I'm not mistaken he was asking for advice and I informed him of what I have tried and has worked well for me. I haven't tried your superb formula or technique so I wouldn't be able to recommend it, perhaps you should just be made the detailing mod.
Pkp1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 08:18 PM