Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windshield help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 10:15 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield help

I picked up my 2011 ES 350 a little over a month ago. The previous owner didn't take very good car of the car's exterior. Evidence points to a car that sat outside all of the time. The windshield has more pitting than I would like, but that isn't what is troubling me.

On the right third/ passenger side, down where the wiper rests in the black tinted area, there is something on the glass and I can't get it off. It is only visible from certain angles, but you can feel with with your fingers. It's almost like sticker residue or some kind of sap residue, but not sticky/tacky.

I also noticed 6 or 7 water (?) spots higher up in the glass in that same 1/3 area, but those feel like they are below the level of the glass. It's weird. I can scratch at them with my fingernail but it does't do anything. Again, they aren't noticeable except from certain angles with the light just right. I wondered if maybe it's a defective glazing or water repellant? I don't know what's on the windshield from the factory.

My concern is that it may interfere with the wiper in some manner- contamination, premature wear.

I saw mention of 3M glass polish elsewhere, but I don't know if that would be too aggressive? I know of Bon Ami - the plain old Original 1886 formula feldspar and Tallow soap, but don't know if it would be bad with any coating on the windshield.

Stoners glass cleaner and rubbing alcohol don't do anything.

Hopefully you can make out what I'm talking about in the pictures.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Windshield help-windshieldspot1.jpg   Windshield help-lowerwinshield1.jpg  
Old 08-07-14, 08:00 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You might try some type of solvent .

There used to be a product called AFTA cleaning fluid. It's not sold under that name any more though as they were bought by GUARDSMAN.
It's a great product for removing oils, stains, adhesives, etc etc.
I've used it many times to dissolve stubborn stains like tar,etc on my car. It doesn't damage the clearcoat finish as long as you clean it off well after using it.

It's not going to damage the glass and I think it is worth a try.
In any case, those are the types of products (adhesive removers, bug and tar removers, etc) that I would look towards to try and remove the residue.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-14, 09:19 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

NJLEXES: Thanks for the response. I tried 3M adhesive remover without success today. Will keep trying.

Whatever it was, it sure is baked in now.
Old 08-07-14, 10:21 PM
daviddi92
Driver School Candidate

Ive polished my glass before and it came out crystal clear and smooth like new.
Old 08-08-14, 08:42 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Whatever this stuff is/was, I'd have to go too deep into the glass to get it out. I tried gently polishing tonight and the stains are still there; solidly etched in.

If I wet the windshield I can see the clean, smooth rectangular area I polished but the stains are still in it and you can still feel them (rougher) if you run your fingers over the area. I'm just going leave it alone and see what happens. Maybe coat it with something to keep it slick.