Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rat urinated/defecated under hood. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 04:16 PM
Randy25
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rat urinated/defecated under hood. What to do?

Hey everyone. I have an RX 400H. I left town for a week and put down a few bins of poison to rid my garage of rats (garage is in a big city and we have rats in the alley). The good news is the poison bins were scoured. The bad news is when I turned on the A/C it smelled like rat urine. I was choking. I found feces on top of the battery. I called my mechanic shop and they said "We don't fix those problems. Bring it to a detail shop." So I brought the vehicle to a detailing shop and paid them $50 to wash the undercarriage a few times and perform an engine detail. Afterwards . . . . . . it still smells like rat urine under the hood and through the A/C. No change.

What should I do now?
Old 08-06-14, 11:08 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pour alcohol solution down the intake vents
Old 08-07-14, 06:43 AM
Randy25
Driver School Candidate

Went out to my car this morning. I could hear the rat crawling around the engine when it heard me. Just wasted $ on a cleaning job.
Old 08-07-14, 06:44 AM
Randy25
Driver School Candidate

And last night I put mothballs all over the garage and under the hood, as that supposedly keeps them away. Didn't help!
Old 08-07-14, 08:17 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I expect the next problem will be the rats chewing up your wiring and other parts of the car. You will then have bigger problems than the smell. I would suggest calling an exterminator.
Old 08-07-14, 09:21 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^ what Nelexus said, if those rodents begin to chew on wiring (if they haven't already) be prepared to open up that wallet...
Old 08-07-14, 06:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

yea its war at this point man , pay now or PAY later .

Find out their entry points, lay traps all over , those sticky traps actually work great .
Old 08-07-14, 06:19 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry dude. But I can feel for you as I have been there and done that with my truck. My experience was with squirrels. Damn things chewed the electronics to my fuel tank. So I had no way of knowing how much gas I had as the gauge didn't work. Nothing $500 didn't fix. They love to chew. You just hope they find somewhere else to do it!
Old 08-08-14, 08:08 AM
Randy25
Driver School Candidate

So yesterday I spent a couple of hours mixing cement and filling all the holes leading into the wooden garage (there were 5 possible entry points from the outside and about 10 holes inside). While I was doing it, a rat walked up to my foot and sniffed it. Chased him around with a broomstick. A couple of spring traps were put down last night, but the rats sprung the traps, cleaned the peanut butter and got away.

I heard that there is a rodent repellent spray for your vehicle you can buy at the auto parts store. I called Pep Boys and they said there were none available. Anyone know about this?

Last edited by Randy25; 08-08-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 09:41 AM
POZEST
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rats! Sorry to hear about this man. Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-08-14, 10:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

replace your cabin filter and itll get rid of that urine smell. your rodent infestation i cant help you with lol. get a exterminator to help ya.
Old 08-08-14, 12:49 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a mouse problem on my RX350, smelled horrible when turned on the ac morning.

First thing is to replace the ac cabin filter as suggested, I found a dead mouse on it when I tried to remove it. That maybe your main problem, urinated on filter or died there. Replace it and see how things smell after that. Toyota makes a ac condenser cleaner kit that may be needed.

Secondly, you may try electronic wall plug mouse/rat sonic device, drives them away with Sonic sound. I used 2 of these in the garage and never have had another problem.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 08-09-14, 11:59 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Or get a cat.
Old 08-09-14, 12:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Ouch, sorry to hear about the rat problem. Best of luck getting rid of smell. As far as the rats, I've had success using D-Con rat bait pellets. There's a brook in front of the house so I see them often. Just make sure pets and children can't get to the bait tray. Also remove any food in the garage. They love pet food and bird seed too. Fortunately none have taken up residence in the Lexus, knock on wood.

Last weekend I spotted this baby rat on the walkway not too far away from where i washing the RXh. And I did check the cabin filter for a nest just in case. Nothing. Bait trays are on standby, there's bound to be more.
Attached Thumbnails Rat urinated/defecated under hood. What to do?-img_0670.jpg  
Old 08-10-14, 07:31 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cat will definitely do the trick... They are the #1 killers on the planet. If it moves they will chase it, eventually catch it, then kill it. I have 2 cats and they are no joke. The rat walked up to your foot and sniffed it... Wow. Want to borrow my AR? Lol, that is a bold rat.

Quick Reply: Rat urinated/defecated under hood. What to do?