Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Can't remove this stain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 12:37 PM
Celledral
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove this stain.

I tried looking for a previous post with something similar but no luck. Anyways, after driving back from my 1k service, I might of splashed onto some tar. Looks like it's just wet dirt/mud at that time. So yesterday after my car wash i noticed it left some yellow stains where the mud spots were. I tried using Mothers's clay kit but it didn't even budge.

I read elsewhere that IRONX or TRIX should work if these were iron stains. Can anyone with insight on this assist me?

Can't remove this stain.-yzmbppl.jpg
Old 07-22-14, 08:18 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, that might be etched into the clear or could be road paint. Try a magic eraser on it. or maybe some mineral spirits.

worse comes to worse, some M105 compound and vigorous rubbing by hand should take that off. If you have a dual action or can borrow one, even better.
Old 07-22-14, 11:58 PM
Celledral
Rookie

Originally Posted by embolism
hmm, that might be etched into the clear or could be road paint. Try a magic eraser on it. or maybe some mineral spirits.

worse comes to worse, some M105 compound and vigorous rubbing by hand should take that off. If you have a dual action or can borrow one, even better.

Thanks for being the only response. I will try it out this weekend before I wax it. But damn, just bought this car about a month ago and haven't waxed it. Could of saved me some trouble.
Old 07-23-14, 05:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd reach for a paint cleaner (Dupont Prepsol) or a light polish (M205). Even a cleaner/wax would likely remove that stain.
Old 07-23-14, 06:46 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I'd reach for a paint cleaner (Dupont Prepsol) or a light polish (M205). Even a cleaner/wax would likely remove that stain.
yes you're right, least aggressive method first, but sometimes it's tough if you don't have all the different products handy, that's why I suggest the cheapest alternatives or things that people may already have lying around the house first. OP, M105 is one of the most aggressive compounds out there. It's probably not as aggressive if you use it by hand as opposed to machine, which is why I suggested it (I assume you don't have a machine). I use it on my car by hand to take out nail marks from the door handles where you can't get access by machine. You may be able to get a small 8oz bottle, which should last you quite a long time.

If you want to go less aggressive then M205 or the consumer equivalent, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is what ppl generally use to follow up M105. Assuming it also takes out the stain, it is better to use that over M105 or the consumer version Meguiars Ultimate Compound, since it got the job done using the least aggressive method. But that's assuming it is aggressive enough to take out the stain. If it isn't, then you have a bottle of M205 that you probably won't use again unless you get a machine, and you have to spend money again buying something more aggressive.

you still might want to order trix and/or iron x

Should should also consider coating it.

Lexus paint is fairly soft and though you won't see the swirls as easily as say a black car, you will eventually get the little orange rust spots as embedded rail/brake dust settles on the car and embeds itself into the paint then rusts.

Even though I drive a black car, I still use iron x annually to get rid of embedded iron. Might do so less often now that my car is coated, but there is still a need for it imo

Last edited by embolism; 07-23-14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 05:23 PM
Celledral
Rookie

Thanks for the reply guys. I had a co-worker who suggested using Goo-gone, and it immediately threw up caution signs in my head. Won't goo-gone eat through the clear coat? Just wanted some thoughts on this.

I will try using the weakest compound and slowly go up from there. I'm thinking it's tire sling left over from the tire shine.
Old 07-23-14, 07:08 PM
Brian K.
Driver School Candidate

Uh oh--I hope it's not irreversible 'solvent based' (DMS) tire dressing stains...

It's hard to always tell in pictures, but that's a possibility.

Do you know the history of how your tires have been dressed since noticing these stains?
Old 07-24-14, 10:14 AM
Celledral
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brian K.
Uh oh--I hope it's not irreversible 'solvent based' (DMS) tire dressing stains...

It's hard to always tell in pictures, but that's a possibility.

Do you know the history of how your tires have been dressed since noticing these stains?
Came back from the dealership and saw some black spots of what looks to be dirt splashes. Lamost like if I ran through a small puddle.
Old 07-24-14, 02:16 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Celledral
Thanks for the reply guys. I had a co-worker who suggested using Goo-gone, and it immediately threw up caution signs in my head. Won't goo-gone eat through the clear coat? Just wanted some thoughts on this.

I will try using the weakest compound and slowly go up from there. I'm thinking it's tire sling left over from the tire shine.
I don't generally use goo gone b/c xylene-based products in general are not something you want to inhale or have in contact with your skin. I think I've seen a car version of goo gone so it probably won't strip factory cured paint off a car. Any repainted areas for sure but not an OEM paint job.

Obviously, you want to use as little as possible and not let it dwell for any longer than necessary, then flush with plenty of soapy water afterwards to get rid of any residue.

Have you tried a magic eraser yet? Apparently, it's like 4-5000 grit sandpaper and the material can conform and get into the micropits in surfaces, which is the secret to how it works so well.