Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rough Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 02:04 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rough Paint

Good afternoon,

I just purchased a used 2005 RX330 this week. The vehicle was kept in great shape and Lexus has all the service records for the vehicle. I cannot see any indication it was ever wrecked or had major paint work. The seller was upfront about some work that was done on the front bumper but never mentioned any other paint work. I spent a few hours last night reading through all of the car washing advice. I set out today to wash and wax the vehicle starting with the 3 bucket method. When I finished waxing the vehicle I noticed one area of the car that was not smooth. It was roughly the 1-2" below the driver's front and rear window and the area on top of the driver's window. If it was repainted it blends perfectly and it still shines. I have included two photos. They were taken on an Iphone.

I tried the search feature and a clay bar seemed to be mentioned as a possible solution. I saw one they had at wal-mart but I know there must be a better product. Is there anyway I can screw up the paint using one of these clay bars? Any other ideas on what may be causing this rough area? The rest of the paint is smooth. Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.
Old 06-29-14, 02:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

mothers claybar.

dont drop the bar (if its dropped throw it away) and remember to keep the area wet with the spray they give you and keep folding the clay over.
Old 06-29-14, 02:10 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

I think that was the brand they had at Wal-Mart. So just follow directions and don't drop the bar?
Old 06-29-14, 02:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Claybar and a polish should help. What kind of rough? If it feels almost like sandpaper or there is dirt on it, it could be dried clear coat due to it being sprayed too far away on a repair. When using the claybar break off pieces so if you drop it you can throw it way, use a lubricant mixed with water when claying.
Old 06-29-14, 02:18 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

I would liken it to a fine grit sandpaper with a shine. I will be sure to break it up. I will report back with pictures. I am running out of time this weekend but I should be able to get to it in the next week or so.
Old 06-29-14, 05:58 PM
thegrouse
Driver School Candidate

Well I am happy to report it worked like a champ. I couldn't wait until next weekend so I hit up the local Wal-Mart this afternoon and got the Mother's clay bar. It came with some spray and a towel. I used as directed and it is smooth as silk now. I let it dry and waxed the entire area that I just clayed. I took some photos but you cannot see the improvement in the photo but it is there. Thanks for the great info and the confidence to take this on. Can I reuse these microfiber rags? I was gonna throw em in the wash. I bought a few at WalMart. Thanks
Old 06-29-14, 10:04 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a special cleaner for them, but if they were cheaper rags I'd just use them for wheels and exhaust and buy new/nicer ones for next time to use on the paint.
Old 07-02-14, 03:39 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It just needs a good clay and polish by hand

if it was repainted then it would be noticeable by the edge by running your finger nail at the edge of the door if it is rough then it was repainted.

A little trick from the auto body industry.