Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best cleaner for plastic inside of your IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 07:03 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best cleaner for plastic inside of your IS350?

Hey guys,

Sorry for the flood of new threads but I'm a newb. Anyway, my interior is light beige and the plastic on the side door frames are light beige as well and so it is easily scuffed by my shoe.

I tried using Meguiar's interior detailer to clean it off but its so damn hard to get off. Are there better solutions?? Something that will easily wipe the dark shoe scuffs off and not hurt the plastic interior? Much appreciated!

Last edited by eplugplay; 06-26-14 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 09:15 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

soap/water and magic eraser.
Old 06-26-14, 09:35 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Magic eraser will make them disappear.
Old 06-26-14, 10:05 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Leave it there. Itll bound to happen again anyways hahaha
Old 06-27-14, 06:41 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Thanks guys, I'll give the magic eraser a try. No way I'll leave it there, I wear dress shoes to work and it gets scuffed a lot, so I'll probably just keep the magic eraser somewhere in the car to just clean the drivers side since 95% of the time I'm riding solo.
Old 06-27-14, 06:50 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

That magic eraser is truly magical. I keep one in that useless tray in our trunks.
Old 06-27-14, 07:36 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Majic eraser is ok for the textured plastics (but I would still use is sparingly) but keep it away from anything you don't want scratched (so anything that shines on the console, nav/stereo screen, etc). Don't even think about getting it near your paint!

Personally I think the majic eraser should completely stay away from the car. Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer isn't a very effective cleaner for stains on light material, but there are plenty of other interior cleaners that work well:
Meguiars D101 or D103
Einszett Cockpit Premium

There are more, those are what comes to mind right now.
Old 06-27-14, 07:49 AM
PhiGam27
Rookie

For the hard plastics and only the hard plastics, I use Inside Out heavy duty degreaser. Any stains or scuffs come right out of the tan plastic like the door sills. I used to use it on the vinyl in my old truck but will not use it on the leather in the lexus.
Old 06-27-14, 07:50 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

magic eraser can be TOO abrasive on certain parts. Test a small area first, then dry it to make sure there is no color change/damage.

I personally use folex to get out any stains on vinyl/carpet and it does the job well. For a quick wipedown, i use a 1/4 dilution of murphy's oil soap.
Old 06-27-14, 11:22 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Majic eraser is ok for the textured plastics (but I would still use is sparingly) but keep it away from anything you don't want scratched (so anything that shines on the console, nav/stereo screen, etc). Don't even think about getting it near your paint!

Personally I think the majic eraser should completely stay away from the car. Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer isn't a very effective cleaner for stains on light material, but there are plenty of other interior cleaners that work well:
Meguiars D101 or D103
Einszett Cockpit Premium

There are more, those are what comes to mind right now.
Hmm, I think I will stay away from the magic eraser. Reading more into it, it seems pretty harsh. I'll give one of Meguiar's D101 or D103 a try, thanks!
Old 06-27-14, 12:25 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For scuff marks on the sill panels, I will often use something a little stronger than normal interior cleaner, which for me is Einszett Cockpit Premium. I have 3:1 diluted Optimum Power Cleaner, and undiluted OPC on hand for the tougher areas.
Old 06-27-14, 12:48 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by PondScum
For scuff marks on the sill panels, I will often use something a little stronger than normal interior cleaner, which for me is Einszett Cockpit Premium. I have 3:1 diluted Optimum Power Cleaner, and undiluted OPC on hand for the tougher areas.
Searching around on google, I keep coming to the Einszett plastic cleaner. I see that it gets awesome reviews but some of the directions warning label puts me off. It says to make sure that it is not on the plastic for more than 3 minutes or left on in the sun or it could do damage!
Old 06-27-14, 02:02 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

^ I woudn't worry too much about it. Use it in the shade and don't let it dwell on the surface. I know lots of people who swear by it.
Old 06-27-14, 02:06 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
^ I woudn't worry too much about it. Use it in the shade and don't let it dwell on the surface. I know lots of people who swear by it.
After cleaning, should I wipe it down / clean it with water and dry it?
Old 06-27-14, 08:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would try the least aggressive/abrasive method first with woolite and water mixture with a brush and then move up, magic erasure could possibly scratch or damage your plastic trim if you are not careful.

Quick Reply: Best cleaner for plastic inside of your IS350?