Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Modern Day Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 07:36 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modern Day Question

Ok Lexus owners, answer this truthfully.

Got up yearly today backed my 2012 black RX350 out on the driveway and "HAND WASHED" it,
in preparation on waxing it later.

So here's the modern day question and be honest::
How many people today, (owning any kind of vehicle), HAND WASH your rides???

I ask because I'm really guilty of this compared to years ago when I ALWAYS hand washed all
my cars/trucks.

Today it seems car washes are so easy just to drive to and back home.

OK, How many??

Cheers!
Old 06-08-14, 07:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I hand wash my cars once a week, or at the very least every other week. No other way to do it properly!
Old 06-08-14, 08:02 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Hand wash every two weeks. Concerned about damage from commercial car wash. Plus - easy way to save $200 a year.
Old 06-08-14, 08:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Pamper Wash both my cars weekly at least, in my driveway.
Old 06-08-14, 08:06 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hand wash my Sportage once every 2 or 3 weeks in the summer as it is parked in the driveway and is smaller than the RX and because it is, well, a Kia. Now, when I say wash, it is a pretty quick once over to get the dust and dirt off the car. It does not get driven much, just around town for errands while my wife has the RX.

The RX parks in the garage and goes through the hand car wash here in Napa as needed. As we take longer drives in the RX the bug load can get pretty high. The Napa car wash gets the car clean.

=====

Washed the Kia this morning. We leave on a 3 week road trip in the RX tomorrow and the Kia will be in the garage for that time, it might was well be clean. Now, packing!

Last edited by Tom558; 06-08-14 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added washed the Kia today.
Old 06-08-14, 08:07 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdshaw
Plus - easy way to save $200 a year.

LOL........I don't mean to be to harsh......But you just paid $45,000.00 + for a new Lexus and your worried about $200??
Old 06-08-14, 08:18 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
LOL........I don't mean to be to harsh......But you just paid $45,000.00 + for a new Lexus and your worried about $200??
Saw that one coming. $50,750 to be exact (out the door).
Old 06-08-14, 09:03 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

When I was young and in my prime,
I used to wash my car all the time.
But now I'm old, we're in a draught,
The brushless car wash with Rainex and rainbow wax,
Is all I think about.

Ray A, the Great Poet
Old 06-08-14, 09:21 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I won't take my Prius through a machine car wash, I certainly wouldn't take my RX through the drive-through wash. I have had scratches and minor damage on previous cars during the winters when my aversion to cold temps gets ahead of my better judgement. Now I just wait until the weather permits. Interesting to note, my Lexus dealer uses a drive-through car wash. One more reason to decline the complimentary mess they offer to make of our RX when it is in for servicing.

If the car is just dusty, I wash in the driveway but if it has been in stormy weather I prefer to use the pressure washer at the car wash. It has hot water and the pressure does a better job of the crevices and wheel wells. Some day I will get a pressure washer of my own - but it wouldn't have hot water so for now I am content using the stall at the local car wash. They also have a chamois ringer so I don't have to bring my own.

And yes, the cost of the RX suggests the cost of the car wash shouldn't be too much of a concern. Don't feel bad though, while many of us may not admit it, we are the same way. A penny saved is a penny earned. That's why we have the Prius for a daily driver/commuter and save the RX for weekends when we are out having fun. Our monthly gas bill averages about $50 with this strategy, plus we don't have to wash the RX very often so think of all the money we save on car washes

Doug
Old 06-08-14, 09:34 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there isn't a drought here, I'd like to hand wash my cars at least once a month. The last time I washed them was back in March when we had a couple days of moderate to heavy rain out in the rain. Of course some of my neighbors thought I was crazy washing cars out in the rain...
Old 06-08-14, 09:51 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I alternate between hand washing and car wash. My miata is never car wash. It is too low and small I do not trust the car wash place. Besides hand washing keeps you in touch with your cars. All the cars are waxed and hand polish.
Old 06-08-14, 10:57 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hand wash the Black F Sport as needed here in the Sunshine State. Have used the $3 drive through in the past but not on the new RX.
Besides its good exercise for an old fart like me.
Old 06-09-14, 05:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Once you've really seen the amount of damage that all types of auto washes, touchless washes, and full service car washes can cause..... you'll probably decide to take the time to do a proper hand washing utilizing the 3 bucket wash method.
Old 06-09-14, 11:25 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hand wash about once a week. Detailer spray wax after any wash not followed by pure carnuba hand wax.

Factory Chrome Lexus wheel wipe down 2 times a week or a day after every rain. (Major Pain in da you know what)

Hand Waxed once a month. Sometimes two.

Claybar, polish, glaze and wax once a year.
Old 06-09-14, 01:19 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by felix168
If there isn't a drought here, I'd like to hand wash my cars at least once a month. The last time I washed them was back in March when we had a couple days of moderate to heavy rain out in the rain. Of course some of my neighbors thought I was crazy washing cars out in the rain...
Lol, glad I'm not the only one who took advantage of the rain in March. Similar to you, I'm lucky if I can get my car washed once a month. My neighbors are super **** about water usage on our block. Before the drought I used to wash my cars weekly and would detail my car thoroughly at least once a month... boy has that changed....

Quick Reply: Modern Day Question