Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Automotive Care & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Damn bird droppings!

Old 06-20-14, 10:03 AM   #1
Greg5OH
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Default Damn bird droppings!

Parked my car at work in the morning, came out at 5 to find bird poo on it. Ok, so i bust out the QD and buff it off, but upon closer inspection there is a lighter mark left behind on it. how can it do it so quick! the car has 3 layers of KSG on it, and 1 coat of megs carnuba wax..i cant scrape it off with my fingernail...did it burn through all that and etch the paint?!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
R19x11+12
@Greg5OH
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-14, 10:23 AM   #2
zmcgovern4
Lexus Champion

AttentiontoDetailingPeoria zmcgovern45

It is possible the area is simply stained... when the paint is cool, wipe the area with an all purpose cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol to attempt to remove the stain. This will remove or degrade the protection in that area, so be sure to reapply.

Megan EZ Coilovers|Trunk Lip|Roof Spoiler|Redouts|M2 Axle Back Exhaust|CF Vinyl Interior|GFX Sides
Xenon Depot 6000k HIDs & LEDs|MRR GF07 19x8.5+35/19x10.5+40|Hankook V12 235/35 & 275/30

I <3 Detailing
zmcgovern4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-14, 10:30 AM   #3
PondScum
Driver

Ordinary sealants and wax aren't going to stand up against bird droppings. You need to be using one of the new paint coatings (Opti-Coat, Gtechniq, CQuartz, 22PLE, etc.) if you want real protection. That's the problem with sticking to products that haven't changed in decades - you don't get to take advantage of advances in technology.
PondScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-14, 10:36 AM   #4
UDel
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
Parked my car at work in the morning, came out at 5 to find bird poo on it. Ok, so i bust out the QD and buff it off, but upon closer inspection there is a lighter mark left behind on it. how can it do it so quick! the car has 3 layers of KSG on it, and 1 coat of megs carnuba wax..i cant scrape it off with my fingernail...did it burn through all that and etch the paint?!
Bird droppings especially from certain species are some of the most destructive attacks on your cars surface coating. If the acid from bird droppings can eat through a factory clearcoat in less then a hour in the sun it will go right through the KSG/Carnuba in no time, they are just sacrificial layers that buy a little more time. Wash it off as best you can, if you give it a light polish and it is still there it has most likely permanently etched your clearcoat, there is nothing you can really do about it and unfortunately that etch will normally get more visible as time goes on.

You may just have some surface residue from the dropping you did not fully wipe off that is leaving a impression on the finish you can see and hopefully it may go away after a few washes/polishes.
Old 07-09-14, 04:09 PM   #5
MDames2
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

When this happened to me I was able to remove the etching by polishing the surface. Turned out well.
MDames2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:17 PM   #6
agile90
Driver School Candidate

that sucks man
agile90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 06:47 AM   #7
jfelbab

facebook.com/jfelbab

As mentioned, neither a sealant nor a carnauba wax are capable of protecting against some bird droppings. Coatings will give better protection as they are thicker but they also will be damaged. The only certain protection is a car cover.

I used to have an job near Lake Michigan, home to thousands of sea gulls. I've had months to test various LSP's and none offered protection for very long. I got a car cover and while they are a hassle to use, they will protect your paint.

The best way to predict the future is to create it.
Peter Drucker
jfelbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 07:13 PM   #8
rxonmymind
Pole Position

Too funny. Brings back a memory of a time when I one day while living downtown in Sacramento I had parked under a tree in front of where I lived. In came my son "your car has bird poo on it". I said thanks and continued my work. Several hours later I find my car COVERED in a white avalanche of poo. Looking up I see multiple families of birds nest with some babies in it and the mother & daddy pigeons working overtime. I was shocked to say the least. Would have made a good comedy. I told my son you made it sound like one or two not three hundred!!
rxonmymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 07:13 PM