Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Damn bird droppings!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 10:03 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damn bird droppings!

Parked my car at work in the morning, came out at 5 to find bird poo on it. Ok, so i bust out the QD and buff it off, but upon closer inspection there is a lighter mark left behind on it. how can it do it so quick! the car has 3 layers of KSG on it, and 1 coat of megs carnuba wax..i cant scrape it off with my fingernail...did it burn through all that and etch the paint?!
Old 06-20-14, 10:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It is possible the area is simply stained... when the paint is cool, wipe the area with an all purpose cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol to attempt to remove the stain. This will remove or degrade the protection in that area, so be sure to reapply.
Old 06-20-14, 10:30 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordinary sealants and wax aren't going to stand up against bird droppings. You need to be using one of the new paint coatings (Opti-Coat, Gtechniq, CQuartz, 22PLE, etc.) if you want real protection. That's the problem with sticking to products that haven't changed in decades - you don't get to take advantage of advances in technology.
Old 06-20-14, 10:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Parked my car at work in the morning, came out at 5 to find bird poo on it. Ok, so i bust out the QD and buff it off, but upon closer inspection there is a lighter mark left behind on it. how can it do it so quick! the car has 3 layers of KSG on it, and 1 coat of megs carnuba wax..i cant scrape it off with my fingernail...did it burn through all that and etch the paint?!
Bird droppings especially from certain species are some of the most destructive attacks on your cars surface coating. If the acid from bird droppings can eat through a factory clearcoat in less then a hour in the sun it will go right through the KSG/Carnuba in no time, they are just sacrificial layers that buy a little more time. Wash it off as best you can, if you give it a light polish and it is still there it has most likely permanently etched your clearcoat, there is nothing you can really do about it and unfortunately that etch will normally get more visible as time goes on.

You may just have some surface residue from the dropping you did not fully wipe off that is leaving a impression on the finish you can see and hopefully it may go away after a few washes/polishes.
Old 07-09-14, 04:09 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When this happened to me I was able to remove the etching by polishing the surface. Turned out well.
Old 07-09-14, 06:17 PM
agile90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks man
Old 07-10-14, 06:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

As mentioned, neither a sealant nor a carnauba wax are capable of protecting against some bird droppings. Coatings will give better protection as they are thicker but they also will be damaged. The only certain protection is a car cover.

I used to have an job near Lake Michigan, home to thousands of sea gulls. I've had months to test various LSP's and none offered protection for very long. I got a car cover and while they are a hassle to use, they will protect your paint.
Old 08-12-14, 07:13 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too funny. Brings back a memory of a time when I one day while living downtown in Sacramento I had parked under a tree in front of where I lived. In came my son "your car has bird poo on it". I said thanks and continued my work. Several hours later I find my car COVERED in a white avalanche of poo. Looking up I see multiple families of birds nest with some babies in it and the mother & daddy pigeons working overtime. I was shocked to say the least. Would have made a good comedy. I told my son you made it sound like one or two not three hundred!!
Old 10-02-14, 10:23 PM
12lexusisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually carry a quick detailer solution and a microfiber rag just in case.