Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear coat problem

Old 06-19-14, 10:08 AM
Zizi250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat problem

So i was stupid enough and idk what i was thinking, but after i plasti dipped my emblem on my 2009 is250 in the back, after it was dry i went and sprayed clear coat so it could last longer.... But the whole area that i spread the clear coat looks ugly and i regret spraying it. I have read that i should use 2000 grid sand paper and sand that area down. But im really scared i would mess the whole paint and i dont want that to happen.. So any ideas that could help me remove that clear coat without damaging the paint? Thanks
Old 06-19-14, 02:07 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Just want to make sure I understand what you did....

You plastidipped the emblems, and then when the emblems were still installed on the car, you sprayed them with clear coat?

Did you mask anything off before you sprayed the clear coat?

Can you please provide pictures of the area in question?

Depending on how much clear was sprayed, the area may have to be sanded and then compounded and polished to remove the spray paint. I would recommend taking this type of work to a highly recommended detailer or body shop if you are not comfortable doing this on your own... Pictures would be very helpful though.
Old 06-20-14, 04:54 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Zizi250
So i was stupid enough and idk what i was thinking, but after i plasti dipped my emblem on my 2009 is250 in the back, after it was dry i went and sprayed clear coat so it could last longer.... But the whole area that i spread the clear coat looks ugly and i regret spraying it. I have read that i should use 2000 grid sand paper and sand that area down. But im really scared i would mess the whole paint and i dont want that to happen.. So any ideas that could help me remove that clear coat without damaging the paint? Thanks
This is why when you watch DIPYOURCAR's videos, they recommend NOT applying a clear coat on top of Plastidip. Difficult to remove and unsightly. They make a special Gloss Coat that is in the same form as Plastidip.
Old 06-20-14, 10:15 PM
Zizi250
Driver School Candidate

You plastidipped the emblems, and then when the emblems were still installed on the car, you sprayed them with clear coat?

Yes after the plastidip was dry i just sprayed the clear coat over rhem emblem. Once again idk why but i didnt take no time to tape around it at all and i just fully sprayed the whole emblem area. I will post pic tmrw. Thanks
Old 06-21-14, 07:59 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy moly. That is just ridiculous.

My advice would be to take it to a reputable body shop. You will have to wet sand and polish.
Old 06-21-14, 10:58 AM
Zizi250
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Holy moly. That is just ridiculous.

My advice would be to take it to a reputable body shop. You will have to wet sand and polish.
Thanks for the advise.