Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

unpleasant surprise this morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 12:52 PM
kingpepsi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unpleasant surprise this morning

So as I walked to my car this morning, which I unfortunately parked on the street the night before, I notice it was covered with a rainbow assortment of bird*****. After cleaning it all off with quick detailer I noticed an orange stain. How do I remove this? I'm crying on the inside right now at work. Cant bear looking at her...
Attached Thumbnails unpleasant surprise this morning-20140529_122140-1.jpg  
Old 05-29-14, 12:57 PM
RayG
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clay bar / polish
Old 05-29-14, 12:57 PM
RA101722
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing for the bird's presents is...water.

Wash it with a damp cloth.
Old 05-29-14, 03:40 PM
MILKEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RayG
clay bar / polish
Concur-wash your car as normal then clay and polish. Bird crap is the worst, especially when they get into black olive trees. Dry your tears, good luck!

Last edited by MILKEE; 05-29-14 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-29-14, 04:55 PM
kingpepsi
Driver School Candidate

I bought some meguires compound. Seems to have worked. Will give it a wash later this week. Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Old 05-30-14, 01:11 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Why didn't you just go wash your car
I never use any detail spray or stuff, if in any situation I do need detailing I would go to the dealer and let the professionals do the job.
Old 05-30-14, 05:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

clay bar and/or rubbing compound
Old 05-30-14, 08:09 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

put some protection on her to keep this from happening again... a good sealant should do the trick.
Old 05-30-14, 09:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Consider yourself lucky...

Bird droppings contain uric acid. This acid can cause serious damage in very little time, especially if left on unprotected paint.

If you are someone who enjoys detailing your vehicle on your own, you should maintain a healthy layer of protection at all times. Natural (carnauba) wax, synthetic polymer sealant, or paint coatings are the 3 main types of paint protection available on the market today.

Paint coatings, like Opti-Coat, CQuartz UK, or 22ple, are the most durable and chemical resistant and will do wonders to protect your paint, make your vehicle easier to maintain, and keep it looking great for longer periods of time.

Let me know if you've got any questions.
Old 05-30-14, 09:32 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have Opticoat, it should go away after some washes without clay bar nor polishing.

I have 5-10 bird bombs dropping on my IS350 EVERY DAY and I have seen all kinds of stains even worse than this because of the sun bake. However, Opticoat really does a great job and protect the paint underneath it. The acid could not really penetrate through the coat. At worst, it only stains it temporarily and it almost always disappear after some regular car washes.

Opticoat is that effective. Sorry that I sound like someone marketing for the product. I'm really just a consumer who highly recommend the Opticoat because I have super good results with it on both cars.
Old 05-30-14, 10:34 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Why didn't you just go wash your car
I never use any detail spray or stuff, if in any situation I do need detailing I would go to the dealer and let the professionals do the job.
The point of a quick detailer is to use after a wash for extra shine and slickness and between washes (unless you plan on washing your car every 2-3 days). I don't play on washing my car that often, so every 2-3 days my car accumulates some light dirt, dust, etc. and i use the QD for a quick spray down and wipe. If its that little of dust, why the hell would you need to do a full wash or take it to a pro detailer?
Old 05-30-14, 11:22 AM
PondScum
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Bird droppings contain uric acid. This acid can cause serious damage in very little time, especially if left on unprotected paint.
Many years ago I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the paint fractured, like this only worse, after a bird dropping sat on it for a few days (this was shortly before I started learning about detailing, in the early 90s)

Before I met her, my wife let some bird bombs sit on the top of her silver Honda, and they ate right through to the basecoat, like this:

Paint coatings, like Opti-Coat, CQuartz UK, or 22ple, are the most durable and chemical resistant and will do wonders to protect your paint, make your vehicle easier to maintain, and keep it looking great for longer periods of time.
I can vouch for the durability of a paint coating in the face of bird droppings. I left my Prius in the parking garage at work all last week. We have these speakers throughout the garage that play sounds to drive the pigeons away, but apparently they stopped working because this is what I found:

unpleasant surprise this morning-mu7ochn.jpg

I would have flipped out if it weren't for the fact that the car had a paint coating on it. I wasn't sure how the Gtechniq EXOv2 would hold up, as I know it isn't as durable as other paint coatings. The coating on this car is about 7 months old, and it mostly gets left in the parking lot at the train station all day during the week. Big chunks of it came off by just blowing on the car (this picture was taken later, at home), light spray from a hose got it all off except for two or three dots about 1/16" in diameter. Coming back with the hose a few minutes later got those last tiny bits off. No evidence of etching. Water still had the tight small beading in the areas where the bird droppings were. I'll try to post follow-up pics after I wash it this weekend.
Old 05-30-14, 01:22 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same bird bombing attack like that on IS350 everyday too and can you imagine how worse it will get when topping the bird bombs baking under the crazy sun in CA. This can be one of the worst bird attack on a car. With Opticoat, I can just wash and clean right off. Initially it would have some visible stains but it will disappear quickly after some car washes.
Old 05-31-14, 06:22 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but OptiCoat does absolutely nothing to protect your car against bird poo. The dullness you see after cleaning off bird poo is the clear coat being dulled by the poo. Opticoat dulls just like any other clear coat. Ask me how I know.

The thing about bird poo is not everyone notices the dull spots after removing the poo. It takes a trained eye sometimes but there is almost always some dullness.

When it happens to me I clean the spot with soap and water, clay it, and break out the Griots Machine Polish #4. Works every time.
Old 05-31-14, 07:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but OptiCoat does absolutely nothing to protect your car against bird poo. The dullness you see after cleaning off bird poo is the clear coat being dulled by the poo. Opticoat dulls just like any other clear coat. Ask me how I know.

The thing about bird poo is not everyone notices the dull spots after removing the poo. It takes a trained eye sometimes but there is almost always some dullness.

When it happens to me I clean the spot with soap and water, clay it, and break out the Griots Machine Polish #4. Works every time.
Correct, Opticoat or any chemical coating will not protect your clearcoat from the really nasty bird dropping that leave permanent etchings in the paint after just a half an hour or so in the sun. If that bird dropping is eating through clearcoat it is certainly going to eat right through opti coat or any wax too which is not nearly as strong or thick as the original clear coat. I have seen a bird dropping eat right through a freshly painted/clearcoated car hood in less then a hour in the sun, permanent damage that could only be corrected by respraying.

There are different types of bird droppings. Normally the smaller white splashes don't do too much damage even if left in the sun but the big ones that are purple/red often with seeds in them do a lot of permanent damage really quick especially in the sun, the worse thing is many birds will choose a spot on your car and keep dumping on just that one spot, they have been known to get by the mirrors and spray the doors because they think their reflection is another bird challenging them.

Quick Reply: unpleasant surprise this morning