Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dr. ColorChip Before/After: Black Onyx GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 12:36 PM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dr. ColorChip Before/After: Black Onyx GS430

I've historically been a stickler for paint. Darker colors being my favorite for both the challenge of maintenance as well as the spectacular results few colors provide when properly washed and waxed. The antagonist to my hobby has always been paint chips. The contrast on darker paint is such an eye sore.

I've tried quite a few products to battle this virtually unavoidable occurrence but the results, even from so called "professionals" always fell short of fooling my eye enough to make either the cost or effort worth it. It's been quite some time since I gave a d@m about car paint in general, but my recent purchase of a Black Onyx Lex has rekindled my interest.

That said, the search for products to battle these chips ensued and it didn't take long for me to run across this product. The results have exceeded my expectations. Hands down the most effective chip repair kit I've come across to date.

Note: I purchased the $60 kit from their webpage. How much I needed wasn't clear so I bought this one just to be safe. Having used it, I think I would have been fine with one of the cheaper kits containing a little less product.
Old 05-27-14, 12:37 PM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Left - Before

Left - After
Old 05-27-14, 12:38 PM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Right side - Before

Right - After
Old 05-27-14, 04:37 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, you got it handled. Good job man!

I have used it with amazing results too especially on the small rock chips. However, the bigger rock chips are still visible. Did you run into any spots where it is hard to fix?
Old 05-28-14, 06:17 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Thanks FS. Actually I did....well sort of. As you've mentioned, some of the deeper chips do have noticable "dimples" although you'd really have to be up on the car to see them. I think Im going to just apply several layers to these until they fill in. Having already used it, you probably already know it takes about 3 days to fully cure. Im going to give it a week or more between applications and see if the paint adheres as well to these dimples as it does with actual chips.

Outside of this, even the larger chips were fairly easy to fill in.
Old 05-28-14, 08:06 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow big difference. Will have to check this out.
Old 05-28-14, 09:32 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Overall, very nice. What is your process of tackling the bigger chips?
Old 05-28-14, 10:32 AM
Capitone
Driver School Candidate

Diesel350 - It really is a great product for chip repair.

FSportIS - For the most part, really the same process I used on the smaller ones. I just make the glob of paint a little bigger. There were a couple of bigger chips on the hood though that were more gash like than an ordinary chip so they weren't as clean to fill. Each had a mangle of paint inside that I could feel snag my glove a little bit. They took 3 or 4 passes to fill correctly. I even had to resort to painting a few sections of one directly as the finger slide technique did not work as well with either of these gash like chips. In retrospect a little sanding to clean these up prior to treating may have been a better approach, but the final result was no worst than the "dimples" i mentioned earlier. Very hard to see unless your really up on the car.
Old 09-05-14, 08:32 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

that is impressive, I have a bunch of chips on my dark blue LS that is driving me nuts...I'll have to look into this, thanks for showing the results...OMG
Old 09-12-14, 08:50 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how long this lasts? Like is it going to wash off after a couple washes? I dont have as many chips but im wondering if this is a better option then touch up paint. It sure looks easier to apply by the videos ive seen.
Old 09-12-14, 09:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
Anyone know how long this lasts? Like is it going to wash off after a couple washes? I dont have as many chips but im wondering if this is a better option then touch up paint. It sure looks easier to apply by the videos ive seen.
This is touch up paint... Just a different product and a different application method than the typical paint pens from the dealer.
Old 09-12-14, 09:09 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

OP I think your real issue is rattle can type paint on the bumper. Good quality automotive paint should not chip that easily.
Old 09-12-14, 09:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
OP I think your real issue is rattle can type paint on the bumper. Good quality automotive paint should not chip that easily.
What he's got there is typical for a black 2GS with OEM paint. Mine looked somewhat like that before I replaced it with aftermarket
Old 09-12-14, 10:05 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
What he's got there is typical for a black 2GS with OEM paint. Mine looked somewhat like that before I replaced it with aftermarket
from what it looks like Dave, that front bumper looks to be poorly resprayed. hence why it was chipping so easily, a good thick clear would be able to prevent 97% of those rock chips.
Old 09-13-14, 07:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah there's no way that crap is OEM paint, unless Mr Toyota painted that car outside with a dupli color spray can.

Quick Reply: Dr. ColorChip Before/After: Black Onyx GS430