Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone Ever Clay Bar?

Old 07-09-14, 02:00 AM
Kentchup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tired out the magic clay and I think that its great, highly rec.
Old 08-01-14, 04:11 PM
Gapwedge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
LOL wow you claybarred for 5 hours? I think you over claybarred. It really shouldn't take you more than an hour. Once the clay bar runs smoothly over the panel then you are good to move on to the next panel.
Totally agree.
Old 08-12-14, 08:29 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I find it doesn't make much of a difference, so I don't bother any more. Might be different if you drive/live by a lot of rail lines or industrial area. I am way too busy to do the whole A-Z machine polishing any more, it's way too much work just to get that last 10% of temporary shine.
Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Maybe if it has never been polished in it's life and it's years and years old. I find that it's a lot of diminishing returns compared to just using klasse AIO on the car after washing it with detergent. This is from somebody with a porter cable and a whole bin full of polishing compounds and pads in the basement.

These two sum it up. If you were in the nationals and judges were pouring over your car and looking under your car and giving it one last inspection then yes by all means it will be worth it. But for the the job you do to it up to waxing that's sufficient. Not going for Olympic gold every couple month.
Old 08-12-14, 09:02 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I just claybarred my wife's Jag S-Type this morning in preparation for polishing. I didn't time myself, but it probably took no more than 20 minutes, and the car hadn't been done in a few years. When I ran my hand over some panels I could feel the contaminants. After 2 or 3 passes they were gone. Only a few areas like the lower rocker panels and the front bumper required a few more passes to remove all the little particles.
Old 08-12-14, 12:34 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyd
I just spend three days working on mine. Wash, Clay, compound, polish, seal, wax.
Three days... looks the same as my car that the other day I spent half hour washing and throwing a coat of klasse on top (and haven't personally washed since last fall when I had my second kid, just gone through a gas station car wash on occasion lol).

Seriously I think people take the car washing thing way too far, I used to be that guy (before I had kids and had lots of time) but after going lazy I honestly have not been able to tell any night and day difference between quick and lazy and spending all damn day on it.

Plus as my car approaches 9 years old now, well, apathy about it's outward appearance is starting to set in. =)
Old 08-12-14, 04:40 PM
JYinKY
Driver School Candidate

For the guy that hasn't even heard of clay bars, but wouldn't mind doing a proper detail on his own...is there a complete kit you'd recommend and a "detailing for dummies" thread anyone can recommend?
Old 08-12-14, 08:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

You don't really need a kit for claying your car. Just buy the clay bar. For a lubricant I just put a capful of car wash soap in a spray bottle and add warm water.

As for detailing for dummies, go to YouTube and search for videos. There are 100's, if not 1000's of instructional videos there.
Old 08-13-14, 07:01 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JYinKY
For the guy that hasn't even heard of clay bars, but wouldn't mind doing a proper detail on his own...is there a complete kit you'd recommend and a "detailing for dummies" thread anyone can recommend?
pick up a Meguiars clay bar kit from Autozone. itll come with all the necessities.
Old 08-13-14, 09:23 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Meguiars kit is what I used. Two bars, a microfiber towel, and the lubrication spray (smells like cinnamon). Worked wonders
Old 08-13-14, 09:34 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to do it regularly not now. 'Getting too old for this 5h!t' comes to mind. I'll do it once every two years or so. Just too time consuming to do it more than once a year. I'll probably do it on my ls400 after bumpers are painted. Do not think it was ever clayed, literally feels like sand paper.
Old 08-13-14, 11:04 AM
Gapwedge
Driver School Candidate

Read these forum posts and videos

http://www.adamsforums.com/index.php?

Personally, I would not begin a detail without using a clay bar.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Ever Clay Bar?-2014_08-lexus-photo-shoot-take-2_7504.jpg  
Old 08-13-14, 11:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is a general list of products that I recommend for those who are seeking high quality products for a thorough exterior detail...

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
These are some of my recommendations for basic detailing products and tools. It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Machine Polishing
- Porter Cable 7424XP Kit (includes machine, backing plate, 8 Pads and Pad cleaner - a great deal! I would recommend asking for 2 Orange Light Cutting Pads, 2 White Polishing Pads, 2 Black Finishing Pads, and 2 Blue Fine Finishing Pads)
- You may also consider Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads if you have harder paint or more severe defects that need to be removed.
- Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 Cutting Compound for removing heavier defects/scratches
- Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish to produce an unbelievable shine
- If you have softer paint, or black paint, you may find it beneficial to follow up with an even finer polish like Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500
- 10 or more quality microfiber towels for removing polish residue (I typically use 30+ towels per full detail)

Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock
Wax: Menzerna Color Lock

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach
Hope that helps.

-Zach
Old 08-13-14, 08:23 PM
JYinKY
Driver School Candidate

Here is a general list of products that I recommend for those who are seeking high quality products for a thorough exterior detail...

Hope that helps.

-Zach
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I think I do want to do a clay bar treatment as im sure my 2009 has never had it done (although i've only owned the car a year or so). So for the novice who is ready to put in a little work one day and clean up his car/paint - i understand their is a basic 4-5 step process recommended....wash with dish shop to take offf any old waxes, etc. before coay bar, polish, wax. (I may have missed a step). Although i appreciate zach and all his tools, sprays, etc. can you zach (or anyone) care to simplify this by listing the 4-5 steps and one/two products for each step for us old folks? So, one shampoo, one polish, one wax, etc.

Thanks so much! Im excited to try and get this goin. I will post before n after for you all!
Old 08-15-14, 06:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I think I do want to do a clay bar treatment as im sure my 2009 has never had it done (although i've only owned the car a year or so). So for the novice who is ready to put in a little work one day and clean up his car/paint - i understand their is a basic 4-5 step process recommended....wash with dish shop to take offf any old waxes, etc. before coay bar, polish, wax. (I may have missed a step). Although i appreciate zach and all his tools, sprays, etc. can you zach (or anyone) care to simplify this by listing the 4-5 steps and one/two products for each step for us old folks? So, one shampoo, one polish, one wax, etc.

Thanks so much! Im excited to try and get this goin. I will post before n after for you all!
1st - DON'T use dish soap... dish soap is for dishes, not your car. Purchase a quality car shampoo... if you want one that is capable of easily stripping remaining waxes, try Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

If you want a simplified detailing process, here it is...

1) Clean wheels and tires... for this you will need a bucket, wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, and many tools/brushes to make your life easier
2) Wash paint - for this you will need 2 buckets with grit guards, a premium wash mitt, a quality shampoo, and a couple of drying towels
3) Decontaminate Paint (clay bar, iron remover, tar remover) - At a minimum you will need a clay bar and clay lubrication.
4) Paint Correction - this could include one or more machine polishing steps to remove surface defects... for this you will need a dual action/random orbital polisher, a selection of pads, compound, polish, and a collection of microfiber towels (this step can be optional if you do not wish to invest in this type of project at this point in time)
5) Protection - Apply a sealant, wax, or paint coating to protect your paint... for this step you will simply need a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock.
6) Misc Other Details - ie dress the tires, clean the glass, polish exhaust tips, restore trim, etc.

You will find the necessary products for all of these steps in the list that I previously provided.

Here is some more useful information...

Explaining the Decontamination Process Part 1

Explaining the Decontamination Process Part 2

How to Analyze Your Test Spot

Let me know if you have any other questions... feel free to PM me for faster responses or with help for choosing products.

-Zach McGovern

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 08-15-14 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-18-14, 08:11 AM
JYinKY
Driver School Candidate

1st - DON'T use dish soap... dish soap is for dishes, not your car. Purchase a quality car shampoo... if you want one that is capable of easily stripping remaining waxes, try Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

If you want a simplified detailing process, here it is...

1) Clean wheels and tires... for this you will need a bucket, wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, and many tools/brushes to make your life easier
2) Wash paint - for this you will need 2 buckets with grit guards, a premium wash mitt, a quality shampoo, and a couple of drying towels
3) Decontaminate Paint (clay bar, iron remover, tar remover) - At a minimum you will need a clay bar and clay lubrication.
4) Paint Correction - this could include one or more machine polishing steps to remove surface defects... for this you will need a dual action/random orbital polisher, a selection of pads, compound, polish, and a collection of microfiber towels (this step can be optional if you do not wish to invest in this type of project at this point in time)
5) Protection - Apply a sealant, wax, or paint coating to protect your paint... for this step you will simply need a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock.
6) Misc Other Details - ie dress the tires, clean the glass, polish exhaust tips, restore trim, etc.

You will find the necessary products for all of these steps in the list that I previously provided.

Here is some more useful information...

Explaining the Decontamination Process Part 1

Explaining the Decontamination Process Part 2

How to Analyze Your Test Spot

Let me know if you have any other questions... feel free to PM me for faster responses or with help for choosing products.

-Zach McGovern
So I've ordered some items to properly wash, dry, and decontaminate my car (black LS460). So, once that's done (no one has stated whether you are supposed to wash your car again after clay bar/using lubricant - do you?), I know a lot of you use DA Porter units and a host of supplies, however I dont think I want to go into all that expense just yet. Question is - do you think using Klasse all in one and GS is a good alternative and able to apply by hand?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Clay Bar?