Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Should I PlastiDip My Car?

Old 06-03-14, 10:24 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that bird crap doesn't sit well on plasti dip. Can anyone confirm.
Old 06-13-14, 07:20 PM
Sh4keNB4ke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Westopill,

What ever happen? Get the kit yet or still thinking about it? Saw your other post today with the wheels...
Old 06-15-14, 08:29 AM
Sh4keNB4ke
Driver School Candidate

For washing a dipped car, I use 2 synthetic chamois (the absorber) - one for washing and I the other for drying. I mentioned on your other post if white dip, you would want to use a base color such as silver or gray.

I've had my IS300 dipped about 2 months using DuraDip.
DuraDip is made for automotive applications...Higher temp, UV protection to resist fading, smooth satin finish.

My IS300 was dipped with DuraDip Topaz blue with custom dipped bronze wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Should I PlastiDip My Car?-photogrid_1402844909077.jpg  
Old 06-16-14, 08:20 PM
GGR4Y
Driver School Candidate

i would go for it man !
Old 06-17-14, 11:41 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sh4keNB4ke
Westopill,

What ever happen? Get the kit yet or still thinking about it? Saw your other post today with the wheels...
I'm probably not going to dip my car for a while. Maybe in a year or so when i have more money. I am going to dip it for sure, it's just a matter of time and money.
Old 06-17-14, 11:43 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sh4keNB4ke
For washing a dipped car, I use 2 synthetic chamois (the absorber) - one for washing and I the other for drying. I mentioned on your other post if white dip, you would want to use a base color such as silver or gray.

I've had my IS300 dipped about 2 months using DuraDip.
DuraDip is made for automotive applications...Higher temp, UV protection to resist fading, smooth satin finish.

My IS300 was dipped with DuraDip Topaz blue with custom dipped bronze wheels.
Around what price range was your whole dip job? Did you do it yourself, or have someone do it professionally?
Old 06-17-14, 11:48 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by benztolex
I've heard that bird crap doesn't sit well on plasti dip. Can anyone confirm.
I have heard a little about bird droppings on dip and what it does. I searched around on Google to see what i could find and there are a few people who said that the droppings would come off, but they would leave behind a yellow stain. That was on their white dip though. I'm sure that if this happened, it could be touched up.
Old 06-18-14, 09:37 PM
Sh4keNB4ke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by westopill
I'm probably not going to dip my car for a while. Maybe in a year or so when i have more money. I am going to dip it for sure, it's just a matter of time and money.
Westopill, I hear you man. Anytime you want to talk dip... Please feel free to reach out.

Around what price range was your whole dip job? Did you do it yourself, or have someone do it professionally?
This was not DIY. Had a professional installer do this. The price range is about $850 ish for mid 4dr full dip with wheels.

They made a video on this job...

You can click on the youtube link above for the vid. Enjoy and let me know what you think.
Old 06-19-14, 12:10 AM
westopill
Intermediate

That's so cool! It's awesome that the people who did the job made a video of it. And 850 isn't a bad price. For sure beats paying more than my car is worth for just a paint job that'll lower the value of it. Personally, I'd probably do it myself just for the experience.
Old 11-25-14, 09:15 PM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by westopill
That's so cool! It's awesome that the people who did the job made a video of it. And 850 isn't a bad price. For sure beats paying more than my car is worth for just a paint job that'll lower the value of it. Personally, I'd probably do it myself just for the experience.
In my opinion $850 is way too high for a Plastidip job. The materials are cheap and application is super easy, especially for anyone with a jot of sprayer experience. You can get a real paint job for $850.00. The entire point of Plasti Dip is to pay less then a regular paint job, as it is only a temporary solution, materials are cheap, and auto body paint skills are not required. I think PlasticDip is a great option for you. I would only get the kit if you plan on re-dipping in the near future, want to do other cars for friends and family etc.. otherwise, I would just buy the PlastiDip without the kit and have it sprayed by someone with a sprayer that has some experience. You could easily get a professional sprayjob done between $300.00 - $400.00. Do the rims yourself with a rattle can. I am going to get my sons 2003 Civic done soon for $300.00 professionally done. I am also going to repaint my 2000 ES300 Platinum edition the original onyx black for the top portion but I am going to plastidip the lower current gray portion in matte black along with the grille and trim. I am also debading except for the Lexus symbol on the trunk. I will do the rims in PlastiDip Aluminum Metallic. White is the last color I would choose for PlastiDip given all the color options and the cool mate and metallic finishes available. I would also not go two tone looks dated imo but that is personal opinion.
Old 11-27-14, 09:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If it wasn't oil based I'd be okay with it. I would only want something that will come off easy when the time comes, and even with a good coat of wax I just can't see plasidip thinned with naptha or ?
Being any good for the clear coat. Now if it was a nonharsh water base that shouldn't hurt a thing.
I for one don't like the idea of water base anything in paint. If its not dry super good it can blister in freezing weather. But for a simple protective coat of a vinyl or plasidip it would be great.
Old 11-29-14, 12:08 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

This might be a better option.
http://paint-wrap.com/
Old 12-01-14, 06:33 AM
shickalee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
This might be a better option.
http://paint-wrap.com/
I have not heard of paint wrap but will check it out. Plastidip will not hurt the clear coat the secret to plastidip is applying at least 5 coats for removal. I just removed a ultra thin job on my sons car done via a craigslist special. I sprayed on some goop off and power washed it off in about an 1 1/2hrs. Would have been easier if it was done with a higher pressure power washer and in warmer weather.
Old 12-01-14, 10:35 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to plastidip a badge or a grill surround (like I'm planning to do soon), go for it!
I plastidipped my "awd" badge red on my is250 to create a bit of a unique look... Its been on for almost a year now thru all the seasons and has been fine.
I did use about 6 coats on that small awd badge, so you may want to stock up on a bunch of cans if you're planning on doing more than that