Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro HydrO2... buy it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 05:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default CarPro HydrO2... buy it!

EDIT: CarPro HydrO2 Application Tips - Zach McGovern
^Please read to understand how to avoid some common issues with HydrO2
EDIT 2: CarPro have updated the formula to require a 4:1 dilution (4 parts water : 1 part concentrate) rather than the previous 3:1 mixture.
EDIT 3: CarPro have updated the formula to an even higher concentration. You should now mix at a 6:1 dilution (6 parts water : 1 part concentrate).

If you don't have CarPro's HydrO2 yet... buy it. There is simply no quicker or easier way to seal and protect your paint. I know several CL members already use this product, but for those who do not know about HydrO2, it is a must have!

HydrO2 is a touchless spray sealant... Absolutely no wiping or buffing. Simply spray HydrO2 onto a clean panel that is still wet then spray it off! Done.

Hydro can be used as a stand alone product, or on top of ceramic coatings for additional protection. Since I like to use other products on my paint, I prefer to use HydrO2 on wheels since it makes it so quick and easy to protect every small area of the wheel!

If you can't tell... I love this stuff, and I bet you will to if you try it out.

Here is a quick video I found demonstrating the application of HydrO2.

Things to note:
- Initially there is no beading or sheeting action. The water clings to the hood demonstrating there is no hydrophobic protection on the paint. Hydro is then applied and rinsed away and the water beads like crazy!
- He is working in the shade. This product cannot be used in sunlight or on warm panels.
- He is working on only one panel at a time. If you leave HydrO2 on the surface for too long, you will see streaking afterwards.

Seal Your Wheels in 1 Minute with CarPro HydrO2 - Zach McGovern

Try some... Thank me later!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 11-07-16 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 05:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Any idea on how this works with hard water?

We have a softener inside, but the outside water is not softened and not the best for washing cars. Tks.
Old 05-07-14, 05:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by LexBob2

We have a softener inside, but the outside water is not softened and not the best for washing cars. Tks.
My water is also hard... no issues at all. I would not dilute the product with hard water - I purchase distilled water for mixing my chemials, but for rinsing the car, there should be no issues at all.
Old 05-07-14, 07:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Just ordered it! Can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-07-14, 08:19 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2

By "inside", do you mean the softener is inside the house, or inside the garage? If it's the latter, read on, otherwise stop now.

Water softeners often have a hose bib on them so you can attach a hose and get soft water outside, just for this purpose. Take a look at your softener if you haven't already and see if you see one.
Old 05-07-14, 08:21 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

CarPro seems to make quite a number of products that get really good reviews. I've got a bottle of X Iron that I need to use on my white car.

About how long is HydrO2 going to protect your paint? After dilution can I expect to be able to use the 100ml size on ~3 cars?
Old 05-07-14, 09:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
CarPro seems to make quite a number of products that get really good reviews. I've got a bottle of X Iron that I need to use on my white car.

About how long is HydrO2 going to protect your paint? After dilution can I expect to be able to use the 100ml size on ~3 cars?
It is no secret that I am a big fan of many CarPro products... they have some really great stuff.

HydrO2 should last ~3 months, but like anything, it can vary greatly depending on maintenance habits and the environment your car is in. The great thing is that it is so easy to apply and you use so little product that it is not a big deal to reapply.

A 100mL bottle of HydrO2 concentrate will make approximately 14oz of ready to use solution (3 parts distilled water : 1 part HydrO2). I mix ~8oz of ready to use solution in a small spray bottle. I used about 6oz of solution on my wife's Mazda CX-7 last night (that was the entire vehicle - glass, paint, wheels). You could easily do 3 cars with a 100mL bottle of concentrate or ~2 SUVs. I'd suggest purchasing the 500mL bottle of HydrO2 if you plan to use it every few months.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-07-14 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 11:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
By "inside", do you mean the softener is inside the house, or inside the garage? If it's the latter, read on, otherwise stop now.

Water softeners often have a hose bib on them so you can attach a hose and get soft water outside, just for this purpose. Take a look at your softener if you haven't already and see if you see one.
Yes our softener is inside the house, in the basement so it's not feasible to run a hose up to the garage. I wish I could do it though.
Old 05-09-14, 05:30 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Analysis Paralysis

I am sorry to admit that I have analysis paralysis with all these paint coatings.
I understand to wash (I have read zach's previous listing of products and system)
Prep the paint (clay, swirl remover, etc.)
Then I get confused with next. Do I need CarPro Cquartz UK Edition or this CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant?
And do I wax on top or the sealant or does the sealant provide the shine?
Old 05-09-14, 06:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Autoplak
I am sorry to admit that I have analysis paralysis with all these paint coatings.
I understand to wash (I have read zach's previous listing of products and system)
Prep the paint (clay, swirl remover, etc.)
Then I get confused with next. Do I need CarPro Cquartz UK Edition or this CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant?
And do I wax on top or the sealant or does the sealant provide the shine?
Sorry... I've probably contributed quite a bit to the mass confusion of paint protection

So, you've got the cleaning, polishing, and prep down... that is the majority of the work.

There are tons of options for paint protection...

Waxes - natural (often carnauaba based) products that are applied to the paint to provide temporary protection.

Sealants - synthetic/man made products that contain polymers to provide more durable protection compared to a natural wax. (sealants are basically a fancy, man-made wax)

Coatings - These are also man made products, but they are much more durable than a wax or sealant. In my article 'The Benefits of a Paint Coating', I discuss why paint coatings are the ultimate form of protection. The most notable differences are that coatings add a measurable thickness to your painted surfaces, they last years not months, they resist dirt and contamination better, and are MUCH more resistant to chemicals and contamination.

HydrO2 is a sealant. It can be used as a stand alone system of protection and should last a few months before reapplication is needed.

While coatings do not need to be topped with anything, many people (myself included), like to add another product on top of them from time to time to add even more protection. There are a few benefits to this when the right product is used as the topping... 1) more protection on top of the coating means more protection on top of your paint 2) this will protect the coating and should lead to longer life out of your coating. Products like HydrO2 and Reload are silica based sealants which make them perfect for applying on top of coatings that are also silica based (or even opti-coat which is silcon carbide based) because they exhibit many of the same characteristics of the coating that is beneath them.

So, long story short... you need some type of protection on your paint at all times. A wax, sealant, or a coating can all be used for this. If you use a sealant, you can top it with a wax for more protection. If you use a coating, you can top it with a sealant (or wax if you choose...though I don't like this) for more protection. The reason I brought up HydrO2 is because it is SO QUICK and SO EASY that it is a no brainer.

Hope that helps

-Zach
Old 05-09-14, 10:14 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where can I get this product in Toronto?
Old 05-09-14, 01:26 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Talking

tanks Zach,
No more analysis paralysis.
ur da best
Old 05-09-14, 11:29 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

think i might give this a try if its that easy....
Old 05-10-14, 03:16 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

While coatings do not need to be topped with anything, many people (myself included), like to add another product on top of them from time to time to add even more protection. There are a few benefits to this when the right product is used as the topping... 1) more protection on top of the coating means more protection on top of your paint 2) this will protect the coating and should lead to longer life out of your coating. Products like HydrO2 and Reload are silica based sealants which make them perfect for applying on top of coatings that are also silica based (or even opti-coat which is silcon carbide based) because they exhibit many of the same characteristics of the coating that is beneath them.

So, long story short... you need some type of protection on your paint at all times. A wax, sealant, or a coating can all be used for this. If you use a sealant, you can top it with a wax for more protection. If you use a coating, you can top it with a sealant (or wax if you choose...though I don't like this) for more protection. The reason I brought up HydrO2 is because it is SO QUICK and SO EASY that it is a no brainer.

Hope that helps

-Zach
Zach, thank you for all your help.
So that I fully understand the use; this can be topped by itself or another silica based sealant. Topping with a carnauba would defeat the purpose of this product and detailing sprays would do the same. So if there is light dusting which you want to remove and previously you would just detail spray and MF dry, now you would use a silica based sealant.
Sorry for beating this into the ground, but I'm coming from a hand applied carnauba wax based world.
Old 05-10-14, 01:57 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Zac can u explain the mixing ratio if i buy the 500ml bottle? i'm not very bright when it comes to mixing products .. Can u explain in ounces for how much water and product to mix in a spray bottle...

i also like the idea of using distilled water

Quick Reply: CarPro HydrO2... buy it!