Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro HydrO2... buy it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 10:15 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Where can I grab some, what is the difference between the old and new product.
It does not seem to be available here in the US yet... I have some for testing and will post a new thread with my findings after I have some more time to play with it.

HydrO2 Lite is a less concentrated product that is pre-mixed, ready to use... so no work on your end when it comes to mixing the product or anything like that.

HydrO2 Lite can be applied in the same fashion as HydrO2... ie spray onto wet surface, then immediate rinse. It can also be applied like a quick detailer... ie mist lightly onto the surface, spread, and buff away with a microfiber towel.

Due to the less concentrated formula, the durability is not as good as the highly concentrated formula that can only be applied wet.

I have been told that this product will be an inexpensive alternative to HydrO2 for those who are seeking a rtu product for quick touch ups/added protection on a regular basis.

-Zach
Old 05-13-15, 02:41 AM
qboy3388
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
First... you should've diluted as the directions state. The chemicals which state proper dilution ratios are not just a suggestion, they are a requirement.

Water beading is caused by high surface tension. Protection products vary in the level of surface tension, and therefore the characteristics of the beading you see after applying a particular product. If, for instance, you use a very hydrophobic property, and then cover it with a product that doesn't display the same type of beading, you may assume the first product simply doesn't bead well or is worn away (which you had mentioned).

In your case, I would imagine the shampoo that you used was your issue, or perhaps the weak dilution of HydrO2 concentrate. For future maintenance, I would recommend a traditional shampoo without any waxes in it (and read the directions for proper dilution of the shampoo! A heavily mixed shampoo can and will strip waxes and sealants from the paint, so that may have also been an issue).

I see... haven't ever experienced that. I never considered Rain X to be a durable product and would reapply it at least every other month when I used it to maintain hydrophobic properties. Since then, I have found products that I prefer greatly due to either ease of use, durability, or both.
Thank you very much for your help! I guess I will return meguiars ultimate wash and wax i just bought. Could you recommend me a good shampoo? I'm looking at meguiar's gold class car wash. I don't really need anything pro/expensive. I just need some shampoo that would clean my car nicely and not effect hydro2.

Last edited by qboy3388; 05-13-15 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 08:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It does not seem to be available here in the US yet... I have some for testing and will post a new thread with my findings after I have some more time to play with it.

HydrO2 Lite is a less concentrated product that is pre-mixed, ready to use... so no work on your end when it comes to mixing the product or anything like that.

HydrO2 Lite can be applied in the same fashion as HydrO2... ie spray onto wet surface, then immediate rinse. It can also be applied like a quick detailer... ie mist lightly onto the surface, spread, and buff away with a microfiber towel.

Due to the less concentrated formula, the durability is not as good as the highly concentrated formula that can only be applied wet.

I have been told that this product will be an inexpensive alternative to HydrO2 for those who are seeking a rtu product for quick touch ups/added protection on a regular basis.

-Zach
Thanks I'll wait for your review, until then buying another bottle.
Old 05-13-15, 09:40 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shut up and take my money NOW!
Old 05-13-15, 12:11 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope the price reflects the lower concentration, otherwise it isn't worth it. Similar to buying a full gallon of coolant for $1.00 more than half the amount in the 50:50 concentration.
Old 05-13-15, 01:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by qboy3388
Thank you very much for your help! I guess I will return meguiars ultimate wash and wax i just bought. Could you recommend me a good shampoo? I'm looking at meguiar's gold class car wash. I don't really need anything pro/expensive. I just need some shampoo that would clean my car nicely and not effect hydro2.
Yep, Gold Class is just fine for typical maintenance! Just be sure to note the dilution ration that is mentioned in the instructions on the back of the bottle! If you mix it too heavy, you may strip waxes or sealants.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Thanks I'll wait for your review, until then buying another bottle.
I plan on posting an introductory review on the other detailing forums around the web and will copy it into here as well.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Shut up and take my money NOW!
You know where to find me

Originally Posted by NickTee
I hope the price reflects the lower concentration, otherwise it isn't worth it. Similar to buying a full gallon of coolant for $1.00 more than half the amount in the 50:50 concentration.
You can't consider HydrO2 Lite as just a diluted form of HydrO2... while it is similar, it is not exactly the same, therefore you can't simply reduce the price and call it the same thing. There are many products in the detailing world that can be purchased in bulk sizes in concentrated form, however they are much cheaper to buy the larger sizes in a concentrated form than the ready-to-use mixture in the smaller form. Like I said, I HydrO2 Lite will be cheaper than HydrO2 Concentrate, but I doubt it will be a linear comparison (ie 1L of HydrO2 Lite = 500mL of HydrO2 or anything like that). Prices are available for Lite in the UK, so we'll see how it measures up when it is available in the US.

-Zach
Old 05-13-15, 03:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Lye with some water will take all of that right off.
lol... That seems a little extreme. Think I'll use a much safer method...
Old 05-17-15, 04:17 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A question about these products. So I have a clean wet car, but if I look at the surface there are areas that have water and areas where there is no water.
So if I spray the product on, some will land on dry paint and some will be very diluted when the product hits the water on the paint. Of course the amount of water still on the car will vary greatly. So I'm left wondering how this product can work if some of the mist lands on dry paint and some lands on larger water spots/pools?

It kinda makes sense with a product like Reload where you wipe it off after application, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around HydroO2 and how it works? As I ended up applying too much product trying to ensure good coverage.

I read this thread after applying the product as per the simple instructions on the bottle and made a mess of my new car. Mixed it properly but used a whole bottle on the car and appplied as per the bottles instructions using a high pressure washer to remove the product. The end result was lots of streaking and the product stuck onto the windows
I was able to get it off the windows by using a very plush Griots Micro Fiber Towel (cheaper decent towels did nothing), and a ton of elbow grease. But didn't have the time or energy to get it off the rest of the car.

Any idea of which Shampoo to use to get the residual product off as quick as possible as I was hoping to CQuartz it before winter?
Old 05-17-15, 04:57 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 99alta
A question about these products. So I have a clean wet car, but if I look at the surface there are areas that have water and areas where there is no water.
So if I spray the product on, some will land on dry paint and some will be very diluted when the product hits the water on the paint. Of course the amount of water still on the car will vary greatly. So I'm left wondering how this product can work if some of the mist lands on dry paint and some lands on larger water spots/pools?

It kinda makes sense with a product like Reload where you wipe it off after application, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around HydroO2 and how it works? As I ended up applying too much product trying to ensure good coverage.

I read this thread after applying the product as per the simple instructions on the bottle and made a mess of my new car. Mixed it properly but used a whole bottle on the car and appplied as per the bottles instructions using a high pressure washer to remove the product. The end result was lots of streaking and the product stuck onto the windows
I was able to get it off the windows by using a very plush Griots Micro Fiber Towel (cheaper decent towels did nothing), and a ton of elbow grease. But didn't have the time or energy to get it off the rest of the car.

Any idea of which Shampoo to use to get the residual product off as quick as possible as I was hoping to CQuartz it before winter?
HydrO2 must be applied to wet surfaces. Wash your car properly, then beginning at the roof, wet the area, spray hydrO2 onto one panel, then rinse away. Next wet the hood, apply hydro2, then rinse away. Then the trunk. Then the sides.

You must be very aware of where the mist is landing, and where the rinse water is going. Thoroughly rinse any area that may have come in contact with HydrO2 to avoid streaking.

CarPro HydrO2 Application Tips - Zach McGovern

Reload is a different product that is applied like a quick detailer... mist onto dry paint, then spread and buff off immediately with a high quality microfiber towel. You can't go wrong with either HydrO2 or Reload for quick and easy protection... the benefit to HydrO2 is that you can apply it to the entire car in just a few minutes without any additional tools/towels during the wash process. I personally use HydrO2 most on my wheels, and prefer Reload on my paint.

Depending on how severe your streaking is, washing may or may not remove the residue. Try a heavy mixture of whatever shampoo you've got laying around. You may need to pre-soak the area with a paint safe All-Purpose cleaner like P21S Total Auto Wash for even more cleaning. The streaks will eventually wear away.
Old 05-18-15, 09:29 AM
PEK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered last Monday & came in on Wednesday. Didn't get a chance to try it until this past Saturday on my neglected Infiniti EX35 (last time I washed this car must have been around last Christmas). Count me as a true believer! Awesome product & easy to use to go with. Definitely recommend anyone who's still skeptic about this product.
Old 05-18-15, 09:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by PEK
Ordered last Monday & came in on Wednesday. Didn't get a chance to try it until this past Saturday on my neglected Infiniti EX35 (last time I washed this car must have been around last Christmas). Count me as a true believer! Awesome product & easy to use to go with. Definitely recommend anyone who's still skeptic about this product.
Awesome! Thanks for leaving some feedback!
Old 05-20-15, 02:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Car Pro / US... Has the H2L. 1 liter $25... Think I'll stick with the original H2.
Old 09-12-15, 11:06 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Zach, I just ordered the Hydro02 directly from Carpro. As I read the directions, it calls for a 1:4 mixing ratio. Has the mixing ration changed from 1:3 to 1:4? What ratio are we supposed to use?
Old 09-12-15, 01:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by gebo
Zach, I just ordered the Hydro02 directly from Carpro. As I read the directions, it calls for a 1:4 mixing ratio. Has the mixing ration changed from 1:3 to 1:4? What ratio are we supposed to use?
Great question... Let me double check with CarPro and I will let you know.

-Zach
Old 09-12-15, 01:24 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

CarPro confirms they have updated the ratio to a 4:1 dilution (4 parts water to 1 part concentrated HydrO2). Therefore one ounce of concentrate will make 5 ounces of HydrO2 Solution.

-Zach

Quick Reply: CarPro HydrO2... buy it!