Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Gonna detail my IS350 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 08:48 AM
Mike285
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna detail my IS350 this weekend

Just got my car a month ago and I am going to give it a detail. It is black and has a decent amount of swirl marks. Any advice would be appreciated. Also how hard is the clear coat on these cars? Here is my plan. Open for any suggestions. Ill try and add some pics of the car soon. By the was i am using a porter cable 7424 XP.

Wash
clay
polish with HD adapt and prob and orange pad
maybe use HD polish?
Seal with Menzerna power lock
Old 04-29-14, 09:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Obsidian Black is quite soft. Since this is your first time polishing this vehicle, I would recommend starting with HD polish and see what you get. You'd be surprised at the amount of correction you can do with soft black paint with a finishing polish, and you do not want to remove more paint than what is needed, so stick to the golden rule: "Always use the least aggressive method"

Check out this article I wrote about Analyzing Your Test Spot. It will help you determine the best plan of action for correction based on your test results.

Hope that helps,
-Zach
Old 04-29-14, 09:51 AM
Mike285
Driver School Candidate

great article thanks!
Old 04-29-14, 06:25 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Obsidian Black is quite soft. Since this is your first time polishing this vehicle, I would recommend starting with HD polish and see what you get. You'd be surprised at the amount of correction you can do with soft black paint with a finishing polish, and you do not want to remove more paint than what is needed, so stick to the golden rule: "Always use the least aggressive method" Check out this article I wrote about Analyzing Your Test Spot. It will help you determine the best plan of action for correction based on your test results. Hope that helps, -Zach
can you explain what is hd polish?
Old 04-29-14, 07:24 PM
crosseyes
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting project hope you could post the before and after pics.
Old 04-29-14, 07:56 PM
Mike285
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crosseyes
Very interesting project hope you could post the before and after pics.
I will definitely take some before and after pics. The pollen is terrible in TN so I am waiting on the pollen to stop falling.
Old 04-29-14, 07:57 PM
Mike285
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcolommena
http://www.hdcarcare.com/detailing-c...rls-holograms/
Old 04-30-14, 04:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

HD is a brand www.hdcarcare.com

HD polish is their finishing polish

-Zach
Old 04-30-14, 07:05 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HD is a brand www.hdcarcare.com HD polish is their finishing polish -Zach
thanks zach. So do you suggest we go with that polish and then some type of sealant or coating?
Old 04-30-14, 08:51 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For polishes you just have to try out different brands to find one you like. I personally like Menzerna polishes. After polishing, Use an IPA wipedown(rubbing alcohol in a 50/50 dilution) to remove polish residue, oils or fillers so your sealant/wax have a clean surface to cling to . Then apply your sealant or wax or both.
Old 05-01-14, 06:35 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

thanks zach. So do you suggest we go with that polish and then some type of sealant or coating?
I've actually not tried HD Polish yet... placed an order for HD Cut, Adapt, and Polish that will be arriving this weekend and I hope to test it out ASAP. In general, there is no polish that will produce perfect results on every vehicle (which is why good professionals have MANY products at their disposal), but for the average DIYer you will see great results with most quality products when used properly.

HD Polish has great reviews, but you may also find something like Meguiar's M205 or Menzerna SF4000 to be great polishes as well.

After polishing, the paint needs to be protected. A wax, sealant, or ceramic coating are all suitable means of protection. A wax is the most traditional form of protection, but is not as durable as a synthetic sealant. A wax should typically be reapplied every 2-3 months while a sealant can often provide 4-6 months of protection. A paint coating, however, will provide years of protection and gloss when properly maintained.

You can read my article - The Benefits of a Paint Coating - for more information about them.
Old 05-01-14, 11:45 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if I can apply a synthetic sealant on top of the paint coating. This is an area I am exploring once I get my car on a good level.
Old 05-01-14, 01:14 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

You can apply anything you want on top of a paint coating, but the question is why would you?

When you apply a sealant or a wax on top of the coating, you are covering up/masking the water behavior and dirt repelling properties of the coating. The wax or sealant that you apply will now be the surface layer and will dictate how water beads/sheets and how contamination 'sticks' to the surface. Also, because these ceramic coatings are meant to resist things bonding to the surface, traditional waxes or sealants will not last nearly as long as they would if they were applied to bare paint.

With that being said, there are some products that work excellent on top of coatings. CarPro HydrO2 and CarPro Reload make fantastic coating toppers. These 2 products are silica based sealants, therefore they have very similar water behavior and dirt releasing properties as the silica coatings like 22ple and Cquartz UK.

I have an article that will be published in the near future about coating maintenance... it will highlight these products as well as several others.

-Zach
Old 05-01-14, 08:19 PM
Mike285
Driver School Candidate

I've actually not tried HD Polish yet... placed an order for HD Cut, Adapt, and Polish that will be arriving this weekend and I hope to test it out ASAP. In general, there is no polish that will produce perfect results on every vehicle (which is why good professionals have MANY products at their disposal), but for the average DIYer you will see great results with most quality products when used properly.
I just ordered HD adapt and HD polish. They have a great deal on the 32 oz adapt right now.
Old 05-02-14, 04:43 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Mike285
I just ordered HD adapt and HD polish. They have a great deal on the 32 oz adapt right now.
Yup, got that too

Quick Reply: Gonna detail my IS350 this weekend