Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Time to wash. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 07:58 AM
amicrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to wash. Now what?

I should be posting pictures of my new ride, but now it's dirty. So I need to wash it first.

Touchless automated?
Standard automated?
By hand high pressure?
Old school soap and bucket? (hard for me because my water is unreliable - sometimes has grit in it).
Old 04-21-14, 08:56 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend posting in the detailing section, they can better assist you.
Old 04-21-14, 09:03 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Where in gods name are you living in the US that has grit in the water?
Old 04-21-14, 10:19 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99rx
Where in gods name are you living in the US that has grit in the water?
Well water has some stuff in it sometimes that leaves it gritty.
Old 04-22-14, 08:21 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a three bucket method
I also use products from griots garage or chemical guys
I don't go through automated washes or have the gas station crew wash it either

I have a bucket with a dirt trap in it
You will get dirt on your car every time you dip your rag into the bucket. I actually wash my car twice once to get dirt off and them a second time to give it a good clean

Always have a wheel bucket, a soap bucket and a wash/rinse bucket

Do not use soap. It will strip the wax off the car
You can always use a foam cannon to wash your car. It's touch less most paint finishes get scratches/swirls bc people don't know how to wash cars
Old 04-23-14, 08:59 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I just use the usual soap and bucket. Handwashing yourself would be the most effective method.
Old 04-24-14, 09:44 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use those self serve washes. seems to do well to me
Old 04-24-14, 11:39 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

it depends on the condition your paint and clear coat are in.
good condition, touchless automatic is what I use
bad condition hand wash to stop it from getting worse.
Old 04-24-14, 12:15 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem with the touchless wash is that it doesnt clean the lower parts of my car due to it being low. i think if someone built a touchless car wash for lowered cars, they would make millions lol
Old 04-24-14, 12:18 PM
OhHiChris
Rookie

I use a pressure washer with a foam cannon as a pre-wash, then I use the two bucket method by hand.
Old 04-24-14, 12:34 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never bother w/ any automatic wash. We lent our son our SC for a few months until he bought a car near Ft Rucker and took it through one of them right after we'd towed it from AZ and it got about 50% of the dirt off - it was a joke!

I use one of those 'clay bar's after washing about 1X year - they really clean the grime off.

I just finished using a buffer w/ polishing (not rubbing) compound on my red 95 Tacoma. It'd oxidized really , really badly.

At first I was kinda apprehensive since I'd never done this before (although my wife has done it numerous times), but I was just amazed at how shiny it turned out - I've never seen my truck look so nice , really red, and shiny...
Old 04-24-14, 07:39 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

2 bucket method for me for the Lexus. I use No Rinse. The daily driver cars also get the 2 bucket wash or they do get the occasional touchless gas station was. Have to be realistic sometimes, can't just sit and wash cars by hand all day. A good wax / sealer will help keep the car clean as well, so spending time giving it a good coat of that will save time washing in the long run.
Old 04-25-14, 04:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

Here are a few basic product recommendations for cleaning wheels & tires and washing/drying your vehicle.

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Paint Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock
Wax: Menzerna Color Lock

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

If you'd like more product recommendations for other detailing processes like paint decontamination and paint correction, let me know and I can include those as well

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach
Old 06-21-14, 01:02 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP! Too short to hand-wash RX350?

I'm getting ready to hand wash my new RX350 for the first time, but just realized I'm so short I can't reach the top of the car, OR to the center of the windshield for that matter. I tested my reach with a small step-ladder, and will be able to get the windshield adequately...but no-way can I reach to the center of the top of the cars roof.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make this easier? Really don't want to run it thru Mikes Carwash at all..

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: found some old "step aerobic" platforms in garage gathering dust, decided to use two of those snapped together vs. a step-ladder, as it provided much better footing and I didn't risk hitting the car. But even with a 7" platform, I still had difficulty reaching the middle of roof. At any rate, I was successful doing my first GDWM carwash! My gosh, I haven't manually washed a car in over a decade, and it took me about and hour and a half just to wash the outside of the car and detail the wheels. Tomorrow I'll tackle the inside windows as those have some greasy film (came that way from dealer). Its threatening rain, so I pulled the car into the garage - otherwise I'd post up a picture! If weather is ok tomorrow, I'll snap a few after I clean the windows. I LOVE THIS CAR !!! Products used was Garry Dean's Infinite Use Detail Juice and Chemical Guys VRP tire dressing. Paint surface is slick as a ribbon.

Last edited by Hoosiers; 06-21-14 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Found a workaround.
Old 06-22-14, 07:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DIY... GD method. if your water has grit, then i would suggest getting 4 gallons of distilled water from wally world, etc. i wash my car with distilled water, i dilute my chemicals with distilled water. the only water i use that is not distilled is the water from my PW...