Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

22PLE on 7 year old LS 460?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 03:22 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 22PLE on 7 year old LS 460?

I just had my LS detailed, and it looks great. I have been reading about 22PLE, and was wondering if it should be done on an older LS 460?

The guy I take mine to is old school but does a great job. When asked about 22PLE, he feels there is no substitute to taking care of the paint with waxes and trying to stay away from buffers etc.

Is it a passing fad or good science? Is it the way to go with a 7 year old car? Or should I stick with my detailers recommendations? Is it something I can do after just having it detailed?

I know very little about proper car care. I have searched the forums and read just about every thread about 22PLE, but haven't been able to answer my questions.
Old 04-19-14, 05:35 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It would not hurt to put an extra layer of protection regardless of the age of the vehicle. It creates a surface that is much more resealiant to surface scratches. I personally don't use a hard, semi- permanent coating like 22ple since I have a clear bra covering the entire front third of my IS. I use paint sealants since they last much much longer than standard carnuba waxes.
Old 04-19-14, 05:56 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the aspects of being a superior detailer is continual learning. Your guy stopped about 20 years ago.
Old 04-20-14, 12:22 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. Anyone have any recommendations for someone in the RI/MA area who would do this?
Old 04-21-14, 06:53 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your "detailer" doesn't use/recommend buffers then you are getting ripped. I would be curious as to what he applies to your vehicle if he isn't correcting the paint first. I would venture to guess that whatever it is is high in fillers. There is no substitute for proper paint care but 22ple is a superb product with outstanding protection capabilities. I highly recommend it....and that you find yourself a better detailer.
Old 04-21-14, 07:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
One of the aspects of being a superior detailer is continual learning. Your guy stopped about 20 years ago.
^This is a very true statement...

Like any skill based industry, there are always going to be "old school" minds that are not easily persuaded to adopt change because 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. This is OK to a point, since there is obviously nothing wrong with a through washing and a proper waxing, however detailing is a very technological industry that changes very rapidly despite what many people may think. Those who are not willing to adapt to new products, processes, and techniques are severely hindering their businesses.

Auto wax has been used for a very, very long time. Somewhere along the way, someone decided they could improve on the natural waxes and they created what we now call a 'sealant'. A sealant is essentially just a synthetic, polymer based 'wax' that is scientifically engineered to be more durable than many natural wax products. These paint sealants are fantastic in their own right, but since this is a technology based industry, someone had to take it to another level at some point. Paint coatings are this next level. Paint coatings provide incredible protection, durability, and gloss. Each of these types of protection has their pros and cons, but if your detailer is unaware of this basic evolution of paint protection products, you are greatly limiting yourself by using their services. This is common knowledge among current detailers.

Paint coatings are becoming more and more popular. It seems that just about every major detailing product manufacturer has released a paint coating by now. There are some products that are still only available to authorized professionals, but the majority of products are now being made available to consumers. These consumer based products are often fairly easy to apply, and have opened up a whole new world for DIYers & detailing enthusiasts.

Regarding your question of is this something you could do after your car is detailed... short answer is no.

These coatings require a very thorough and careful process to prep the paint for the coating. If this process is not done properly, the coating may not properly bond to the paint and therefore will not last nearly as long as you were hoping.

Should you apply this to a 7 year old car? Every car can benefit from a paint coating, regardless of age. Paint coatings not only add amazing protection, but they make routine maintenance much easier - this is my favorite perk of these products.

You can read my article "The Benefits of a Paint Coating" on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-22-14, 10:39 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for teh 22ple, the paint should be corrected first, no waxes or anythign, wiped with rubbing alcohol, and only then apply the 22ple?
Also can a glaze be laid ontop of that for even more protection?
Old 04-22-14, 11:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
for teh 22ple, the paint should be corrected first, no waxes or anythign, wiped with rubbing alcohol, and only then apply the 22ple?
Also can a glaze be laid ontop of that for even more protection?
Yes, the paint should be corrected prior to installing the coating - if there are any defects like scratches or swirls, they will be covered by the coating and if you choose to try to remove them later you would have to polish through the coating and then through enough clear coat to remove the scratches, so it would be more work than if you were to correct the paint before applying the coating.

No there can not be any residual polishing oils, sealant, waxes, or glaze on the surface before coating. You may need to rewash the car after correction if there is excessive compounding dust and or polishing oils. At the very minimum you need to wipe the vehicle down very carefully with CarPro Eraser (or IPA if you prefer, but Eraser is easier to use). Once the paint is perfectly clean, you can apply the coating.

A glaze is not meant to add protection, a glaze is typically a product containing fillers that help to temporarily hide light swirls and scratches... dealerships and body shops love this product as they can make a car look great with very little work. Perhaps you misunderstood the product types and you meant a sealant or wax? If so, you can apply any type of protection on top of a paint coating, but traditional sealants and waxes will not last very long as the coating will not allow them to cling to the surface like they can to bare paint. A product like CarPro HydrO2 or CarPro Reload is a fantastic coating topper and I highly recommend using them for added protection and to ensure you get the maximum durability out of your coating. These products are incredibly quick and easy to use and they add noticeable slickness to your finish.

I just wrote an article on how to properly maintain your coating... hopefully it will be published on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog in the near future.
Old 04-22-14, 11:35 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^This is a very true statement...

Like any skill based industry, there are always going to be "old school" minds that are not easily persuaded to adopt change because 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. This is OK to a point, since there is obviously nothing wrong with a through washing and a proper waxing, however detailing is a very technological industry that changes very rapidly despite what many people may think. Those who are not willing to adapt to new products, processes, and techniques are severely hindering their businesses.

Auto wax has been used for a very, very long time. Somewhere along the way, someone decided they could improve on the natural waxes and they created what we now call a 'sealant'. A sealant is essentially just a synthetic, polymer based 'wax' that is scientifically engineered to be more durable than many natural wax products. These paint sealants are fantastic in their own right, but since this is a technology based industry, someone had to take it to another level at some point. Paint coatings are this next level. Paint coatings provide incredible protection, durability, and gloss. Each of these types of protection has their pros and cons, but if your detailer is unaware of this basic evolution of paint protection products, you are greatly limiting yourself by using their services. This is common knowledge among current detailers.

Paint coatings are becoming more and more popular. It seems that just about every major detailing product manufacturer has released a paint coating by now. There are some products that are still only available to authorized professionals, but the majority of products are now being made available to consumers. These consumer based products are often fairly easy to apply, and have opened up a whole new world for DIYers & detailing enthusiasts.

Regarding your question of is this something you could do after your car is detailed... short answer is no.

These coatings require a very thorough and careful process to prep the paint for the coating. If this process is not done properly, the coating may not properly bond to the paint and therefore will not last nearly as long as you were hoping.

Should you apply this to a 7 year old car? Every car can benefit from a paint coating, regardless of age. Paint coatings not only add amazing protection, but they make routine maintenance much easier - this is my favorite perk of these products.

You can read my article "The Benefits of a Paint Coating" on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much! Very helpful. I just need to find someone local that is trusted.