Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Brand New Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Leaking Grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 12:36 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Brand New Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Leaking Grease

So I just bought myself a Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbit Polisher/Sander for my paint correction needs. Upon firing it up for the first time, I just tested out the different speeds. I went through speeds 1-6 seeing how powerful they were. I haven't yet used it on an actual surface, i just fired it up to test out different speeds. After i did so, i found a pretty decent amount of grease residing in the vents by the head of the unit. I attempted to email Porter Cable support about it today but got an error message upon sending. Knowing that the Lexus community has a pretty good idea about how to take care of their cars via wax, polish, etc.. I thought i'd come to you guys. So the question that i have here is "Is this something i should be concerned about?"
Attached Thumbnails Brand New Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Leaking Grease-p4120144.jpg   Brand New Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Leaking Grease-p4120145.jpg  
Old 04-22-14, 11:04 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although mine (very old now) didn't exhibit this when new, I think it probably received a bit more grease on the production line than it should have (quality control issue perhaps) but I would probably just unplug it, and dab some of it off with a Q-Tip, to keep it from slime-ing up the paint you're working on perfecting with it.

Maybe some of the others here with newer units can chime in on whether theirs has a similar issue.

As long as it's running well, I would just try to clean it up in those venting holes...

Cheers
Old 04-22-14, 04:23 PM
westopill
Intermediate

I sort of figured that it was just excess grease put on it while it was being made. I just wanted someones opinion since i wasn't sure if i should be concerned or not. .

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-22-14, 07:05 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new one a month ago and used it for the first time this weekend. I didn't see any grease on mine like you did. Hopefully, it's just some extra grease they put on there. If you bought it from Amazon they have an excellent return policy so it should be easy and free to exchange it if you still have some doubts.
Old 04-23-14, 10:50 AM
westopill
Intermediate

I actually did buy it from Amazon.com, but i think I'm still going to keep it. It should be fine.
Old 05-30-14, 10:23 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Agreed. That looks like just some excess grease from the build which came out upon your initial use. Question for you, and all others with this though - have you found this item to be easy to use and worth the purchase of it in long run?

I am looking at pulling the trigger on it today from Home Depot since they offer military discounts, which makes it about $100. However, Auto Geek has it on special WITH the addition of the back plate, pads and some cleaning and polishing products as well. I guess if I do the math this deal may come out better for me unless anyone thinks otherwise?

One can drive themselves CRAZY with all the polishing and waxing products out there!! UGHH!
Old 05-30-14, 10:36 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. That looks like just some excess grease from the build which came out upon your initial use. Question for you, and all others with this though - have you found this item to be easy to use and worth the purchase of it in long run?
i have the porter cable and i think its a pretty good polisher for its price. i mainly use it to restore hazed up headlights since its got plenty of power for that. i also use it to do some light polishing and applying sealants and stuff. however if you want to do some heavy correction ive found the machine to be on the weaker side. you can still correct some heavy defects but it might take you a couple of more passes than say a flex or rupes will. hope that helps.
Old 05-30-14, 10:53 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up Cool

Originally Posted by monkey92
i have the porter cable and i think its a pretty good polisher for its price. i mainly use it to restore hazed up headlights since its got plenty of power for that. i also use it to do some light polishing and applying sealants and stuff. however if you want to do some heavy correction ive found the machine to be on the weaker side. you can still correct some heavy defects but it might take you a couple of more passes than say a flex or rupes will. hope that helps.
Hey thanks for the info Monkey!
Which pad do you use to do the headlight lens btw? I'd like to do that on both of my vehicles for sure! I don't have any serious stuff that would need a beefed up polisher and think this one may work out fine. Just need to zero in on which special kit to buy at this point. Appreciate your response man!
Old 05-30-14, 06:31 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for restoring headlights ive been using the meguiars 3 inch microfiber cutting pad. the microfiber has lots of cutting power. you could also use 4 or 5 inch foam or MF pads but i run into alot of smaller lamps and the 3 inch fits perfect.