Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 01:48 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches everywhere

Is there a way to spot fix deep scratches? Just washed my black gs and oh lord... Almost every panel got a deep scratch! Idk if its haters or what...

Gonna need a repaint to fix... That's a lot of dough...

Last edited by iLub3GS; 03-25-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 02:49 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As long as the scratches have not penetrated the clear coat, you can spot treat them with a 3" pad on a dual action polisher.

Do you have pictures of the damage?
Old 03-25-14, 04:06 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

I'll take some tomorrow morning when the sun is out... they are deep though. Catches the nail and goes to white, on my black car.
Old 03-25-14, 04:11 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iLub3GS
Is there a way to spot fix deep scratches? Just washed my black gs and oh lord... Almost every panel got a deep scratch! Idk if its haters or what...

Curious... What model year is your GS?
Old 03-25-14, 04:23 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to do it yourself, use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with either a 3" random orbiter or by hand. That's pretty conservative but is still good enough to make a difference. Try it on a non-conspicuous spot first.
Old 03-25-14, 04:46 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Curious... What model year is your GS?
2011 3gs, why curious?
Old 03-25-14, 05:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If it catches your nail and you can tell it is through to base or primer then there is no buffing that will repair it. You either need to touch it up for a "okay" fix or have the area repainted.
Old 03-25-14, 05:34 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
If it catches your nail and you can tell it is through to base or primer then there is no buffing that will repair it. You either need to touch it up for a "okay" fix or have the area repainted.
Oh man . Is black easy to match?
Old 03-25-14, 05:51 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

2011 3gs, why curious?
Didn't realize that this was apparently caused by someone inflicting this on your car. That
is really sad. That it's so new...makes it all the more distressing!
Old 03-26-14, 01:49 AM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Didn't realize that this was apparently caused by someone inflicting this on your car. That
is really sad. That it's so new...makes it all the more distressing!
Haters going to hate... You don't know how sad I was/still am when I saw those scratches. :'(
Old 03-26-14, 07:19 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Do you brush the snow off of your car or take it to car washes and use a brush?
Old 03-26-14, 07:56 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would have target practice on their asses if I caught them doing that to one of my rides.
Old 03-26-14, 08:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Oh man . Is black easy to match?
A base or flat black should be the easiest color to match, metallic flake and reds and blues are much harder. Try getting it detailed first before you spend thousands on a repaint. In most cases the repaint won't look as good as the factory finish or be as durable unless you spend a lot of money.
Old 03-26-14, 12:29 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning a black car myself, I can tell you, it is the sexiest color at dusk/ night, but the most nightmarish color during the day, especially with full sun. Spider-webbing, Swirl marks, scratches, water spots will drive you crazy, and you will spend a lot of money on any scratch, polish and wax on the market that promises to remove scratches..... lol

I would say just give the car a good detail or bring it somewhere (do your research- It shouldn't be cheap. A $60 spray wax job is not ok. a $150 Detail could be. A $250 paint correction detail even better. And you can go as high as $4-$500). You may find out it won't be as bad as it looks after a good clay, 2 stage polish and wax.

I would save money every year to get your car detailed every spring, after all the snow and ice and crap. Or if you have the time and tools you can tackle this project over a week end.

But beware, as the car ages, no amount of polish will make it perfect. You will always find one or two hairline scratches. You are gonna have to accept it and live with it, or choose a different color car next time.... I choose to just live with mine. Still stunning at night
Old 03-26-14, 12:40 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Owning a black car myself, I can tell you, it is the sexiest color at dusk/ night, but the most nightmarish color during the day, especially with full sun. Spider-webbing, Swirl marks, scratches, water spots will drive you crazy, and you will spend a lot of money on any scratch, polish and wax on the market that promises to remove scratches..... lol

I would say just give the car a good detail or bring it somewhere (do your research- It shouldn't be cheap. A $60 spray wax job is not ok. a $150 Detail could be. A $250 paint correction detail even better. And you can go as high as $4-$500). You may find out it won't be as bad as it looks after a good clay, 2 stage polish and wax.

I would save money every year to get your car detailed every spring, after all the snow and ice and crap. Or if you have the time and tools you can tackle this project over a week end.

But beware, as the car ages, no amount of polish will make it perfect. You will always find one or two hairline scratches. You are gonna have to accept it and live with it, or choose a different color car next time.... I choose to just live with mine. Still stunning at night
I'm about to name my car Night Owl... every time i bring it out at night, IT LOOKS PERFECT/STUNNING. In the morning I avoid eye contact with it. LOL

I might pay to respray a few panels, in afew years maybe respray the entire car to white...

The question is, is black hard to match? Would it look as good as OEM(obviously not.. but it wouldn't be noticeable, right?)

I actually have a DA polisher, with compound and polish/ clay bar, just never got to it... but now I feel so down after seeing the deep scratches I don't even want to do it.

Quick Reply: Scratches everywhere