Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what is the most recommended technique to use with a pc 7424xp

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 03:37 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the most recommended technique to use with a pc 7424xp

Ok well im a little overwhelmed with all these techniques i have been seeing and im not sure where to land lol i know the pad/polish/compound has a big factor but as junkman says technique triumphs product so what is the best one to concur to get customers car done in an efficient time? Granted i know the pc is not the best to use but its the most affordable and is def able to get the job done.

I ask these questions for two reasons
1. I read something about the mark brown method and it just got me thinking
2. I want to use the most affective technique because i have removed swirls but still have deeper inperfections so i will be moving up to m101 or 05 and m205 with the mf pad
Old 03-24-14, 04:08 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

First, there is definitely nothing wrong with the PC7424XP... I used it as my main machine for several years!

1 - You mean Kevin Browm Method

2 - Technique varies depending on your situation, but learning to adapt is what makes you produce better results. Aside from choosing the best product/pad combo for the situation, factors such as machine speed, arm speed, and pressure play HUGE roles in your ability to produce the best results in the most efficient manner.

In general, slow arm speed is key. This allows the abrasives enough time to work over the paint and level the surface.

Typically more pressure = more cut. Therefore, it is a common practice (with the porter cable and GG machines especially) to start off with heavier pressure for your first couple of passes, and end with lighter pressure. This ensures you get good cutting power in the beginning of your working cycle and finish down nicely towards the end.

Another generalization is that faster machine speed = more cut. It is also common to start with your first few passes at a higher speed (maybe around 5-6 when compounding) and finish with your last couple of passes at a slower speed (say around 4 for example).

Now, I say things like "generalization" and "typically" because there are instances where you have to experiment in order to produce the results you are after.

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Old 03-24-14, 04:42 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
First, there is definitely nothing wrong with the PC7424XP... I used it as my main machine for several years!

1 - You mean Kevin Browm Method

2 - Technique varies depending on your situation, but learning to adapt is what makes you produce better results. Aside from choosing the best product/pad combo for the situation, factors such as machine speed, arm speed, and pressure play HUGE roles in your ability to produce the best results in the most efficient manner.

In general, slow arm speed is key. This allows the abrasives enough time to work over the paint and level the surface.

Typically more pressure = more cut. Therefore, it is a common practice (with the porter cable and GG machines especially) to start off with heavier pressure for your first couple of passes, and end with lighter pressure. This ensures you get good cutting power in the beginning of your working cycle and finish down nicely towards the end.

Another generalization is that faster machine speed = more cut. It is also common to start with your first few passes at a higher speed (maybe around 5-6 when compounding) and finish with your last couple of passes at a slower speed (say around 4 for example).

Now, I say things like "generalization" and "typically" because there are instances where you have to experiment in order to produce the results you are after.

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Always informative response from zach! I meant kevin typing on my phone sucks lol