Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Buying a Griots 3rd Gen-Looking to get into Detailing-Advice needed-Thank you

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 08:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Ok guys I ordered the griots 6 inch, and I started some fender work on my car and I have some serious paint work to do now.

im just looking for a tried and true method to bring back a full sheen after a thorough wetsand ending with 2000 grit.

at this point I would prefer over the counter as I don't want to wait for shipping.

How many steps are involved? is it just polish and then seal with wax?

Thanks!!!!
.... why didn't you just order the correct products when you ordered the griot's machine? then it all arrives at the same time and you're all set.

Unfortunately the amount of professional grade OTC products can be slim to none depending on your area. I guess your best bet would be to look for Meguiar's M105 & M205 as those are most commonly available locally.

Proper process would be as follows:
  • Wash/Clean surface
  • Decontaminate with Detailing clay (check with 'baggie test')
  • Tape Trim and other delicate areas
  • Sand if needed (not highly recommended on OEM paint, but it seems like you're going to do some sanding)
  • Clean surface to remove sanding slurry
  • Compound with cutting pad and cutting compound to remove sanding marks or other moderate to severe defects in paint
  • Polish to refine surface and remove compounding haze (may be 1 or 2 steps depending on how well you can finish with your compounding step)
  • You'll probably need to wash again after compounding and polishing since it creates a fair amount of dust
  • Apply paint sealant and/or wax

-Zach
Old 04-05-14, 11:25 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
.... why didn't you just order the correct products when you ordered the griot's machine? then it all arrives at the same time and you're all set.

Unfortunately the amount of professional grade OTC products can be slim to none depending on your area. I guess your best bet would be to look for Meguiar's M105 & M205 as those are most commonly available locally.

Proper process would be as follows:
  • Wash/Clean surface
  • Decontaminate with Detailing clay (check with 'baggie test')
  • Tape Trim and other delicate areas
  • Sand if needed (not highly recommended on OEM paint, but it seems like you're going to do some sanding)
  • Clean surface to remove sanding slurry
  • Compound with cutting pad and cutting compound to remove sanding marks or other moderate to severe defects in paint
  • Polish to refine surface and remove compounding haze (may be 1 or 2 steps depending on how well you can finish with your compounding step)
  • You'll probably need to wash again after compounding and polishing since it creates a fair amount of dust
  • Apply paint sealant and/or wax

-Zach
thanks Zach you've been a big help,

ok if your saying its best to get some ordered products ill do that , I want to do things right so I will order what you guys recommend.

I ordered the griots cause it was on sale and the guy wasn't much of a help in terms of what I would need so I figured I would come back and ask you guys.

I got a massive set of 22's on my car so I had to shave and pull the rear fenders and it caused some ripples, so I will be doing some work to get them straight and I will be finishing with 2000 grit.

So from what I gather my first step will be 'cutting' which most likely Ill need a wool pad or perhaps micro fibre? (which product should I use?)

Next would be polishing, using a standard polishing pad?(which product should I use?)

Third would be waxing/ sealing?( I already have some good waxes )

Is this pretty muich the jist of it ?

(EDIT) im sorry for all the repeat questions, its a little confusing but im learning a lot , I just want to make sure I get the right products and do it right

Thanks

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 04-05-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 01:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

These are the only ones I can find in my local auto shop.

They are a 1-2-3 step system.

Wondering if these are good enough quality to accomplish what im trying to do .

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these?

Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails Buying a Griots 3rd Gen-Looking to get into Detailing-Advice needed-Thank you-20140407_124540.jpg   Buying a Griots 3rd Gen-Looking to get into Detailing-Advice needed-Thank you-20140407_124551.jpg   Buying a Griots 3rd Gen-Looking to get into Detailing-Advice needed-Thank you-20140407_124832.jpg  
Old 04-07-14, 04:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The mother's polish will not remove sanding marks - it is a light polish.

The Ultimate Compound might... but it will probably take a bit of time and effort compared to something like M105.

Don't buy the Simoniz stuff.
Old 04-07-14, 09:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

ok thanks, im going to order the 105 for the cutting

205 for the polishng

and then buy a good quality wax to seal and finish off

thanks a lot for ur help

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 04-07-14 at 09:29 PM.