Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Faint scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 10:23 AM
Ashleyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint scratch

Hello! I'm new to having a lexus and also new to posting on forums. I just has a quick question on how others took care of faint scratches on their car? I live in Chicago and it has kinda sorta been warming up. So i decided to take my car to get a car wash. I know, bad idea. But I just needed a quick wash to get some of the salt off and of course after the car wash there are 2 very faint scratches on my driver and passenger side doors. I don't know if i'm just being ****, but it really bothers me. How should I approach them? Or should I even worry? Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 03-19-14, 10:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Automotive paint is incredibly sensitive. The majority of damage actually comes from improper washing and drying. Learning proper washing and drying methods as well as investing in premium products and tools will help minimize the risk of damaging your vehicle and will keep it looking great. Please carefully read this article on Proper Washing and Drying Technique as a good starting point.

**I highly recommend avoiding all automatic washes, especially the type with spinning brushes/material and/or the type that have someone waiting at the end to dry your vehicle**

See my thread & linked article here for more information on Car Wash Damage

If you're in a pinch, a purely touchless wash can be alright if that is your only option, just keep in mind the chemicals used to clean your vehicle are capable of removing or degrading any wax that may be on your vehicle.

To get back to your question, light swirls and scratches are removed through machine polishing. A polish is a product that contains abrasives in it that are used to remove a fine layer of your paint in order to create a level surface (ie one that does not have scratches on it).

The following photo shows a panel before correction(left) and after the first compounding step in a multi-step polishing process (right). The polishing process is one that requires a lot of prep, a lot of knowledge, and skill. With the improvement in DA machines and products, amateurs can achieve fantastic results, but it is still something that needs to be handled with great care!

Keep in mind, when you polish your vehicle, you are removing some of the clear coat, therefore you only want to polish when it is absolutely necessary. It is much easier to spend the additional time carefully washing and drying your vehicle than it is polishing it every few months because you've introduced scratches, swirls, and marring.

Please let me know if you've got other questions.

-Zach
Old 03-19-14, 10:49 AM
Ashleyd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Zach! So as amateur as I am, do you know of a good place? Because I definitely do not trust myself to do the polishing and what not. And it's definitely not as bad as the picture. It really only is just 1 line.
Old 03-19-14, 11:15 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

It's not as scary as it sounds. It can be fun, and very rewarding.
Old 03-19-14, 11:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Ashleyd
Thanks, Zach! So as amateur as I am, do you know of a good place? Because I definitely do not trust myself to do the polishing and what not. And it's definitely not as bad as the picture. It really only is just 1 line.
I'd be happy to recommend someone if I can... Where exactly are you located?

You'd be surprised at what you might find if you shine a powerful light at your paint

Here's an example... This SRT8 looks fine from a distance.

Further inspection under proper lighting indicated that it was nowhere near "fine".

After about 15 hours of work, it was back to perfection.

Hopefully you're right and it is only a couple of small scratches.
Old 03-19-14, 10:50 PM
Ashleyd
Driver School Candidate

I'm by O'hare airport.
Old 03-21-14, 05:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Ashleyd
I'm by O'hare airport.
Well, you can drive 3.5 hours south to see me in Peoria.... but there is no need for that since you have one of the finest detailers in the country very near to you. I would highly recommend Ivan @ Lustr Auto Detail in Chicago.

Ivan, the owner of Lustr, is a member of this forum and several members have taken their vehicles to him with nothing but fantastic things to say.

Here is a thread a CL member posted after having their vehicle corrected and coated by Lustr Auto Detail - LUSTR Detailing: Paint Correction, Clear Bra, and 22PLE

Let me know if you've got any more questions!

-Zach