Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

i need help on how to handle these scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 10:41 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help on how to handle these scratches

Not sure how to remove these i dont know how deep they are so im lost, i have used an orange pad but maybe i should go yellow?

i need help on how to handle these scratches-20140316_204227.jpg
Old 03-17-14, 12:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

What have you tried so far and what were your results?
Old 03-17-14, 08:23 AM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
What have you tried so far and what were your results?
Chemical guys orange hex logic pad with paint correction no. 3 followed by chemical guys blue hex logic with paint correction no.1 it removed swirls but did not put a dent in those
Old 03-17-14, 08:26 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Lake Country Orange pad with Meg's 105 will take care of those RIDS and then follow up with what you used above.
Old 03-17-14, 08:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

If they are just isolated to that small area, I would just spot treat them with a 3" pad.

As already mentioned, Meguiar's M105 would be a great choice on either an Orange Light Cutting Pad or Microfiber Cutting Pad.
Old 03-17-14, 12:00 PM
IneednSC
Driver

If they are just isolated to that small area, I would just spot treat them with a 3" pad.

As already mentioned, Meguiar's M105 would be a great choice on either an Orange Light Cutting Pad or Microfiber Cutting Pad.
Sweet i will give it a try, that m105 must be great stuff i hear it everyone uses it and the price is even better
Old 03-17-14, 01:07 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

It is a great cutting compound that does well in many situations. It can be finicky to use though as it has a tendency to dry up and dust badly... Especially when too much product is used.
Old 03-18-14, 02:52 PM
IneednSC
Driver

It is a great cutting compound that does well in many situations. It can be finicky to use though as it has a tendency to dry up and dust badly... Especially when too much product is used.
Couple things i need to know

1. Are microfiber pad better than foam pads?
2. Does pad style effect anything? I use hexlogic recommended by junkman to use with the pc but does the lakecountry flat style pad make any difference?
3.With the pc i read it takes longer to work out imperfections, so will i need atleast 2 of each pad or can 1 pad be used one a car? I use enough prodcut to prime the pad ( 5 pea sized drops ) then i juse use 3 pea sized drops when needed but my pad always looks filled up with product to where the pad seems useless.
Old 03-19-14, 07:35 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

1) "Better" is a subjective word... MF pads have their place, as do foam pads.

MF cutting pads will have more cut and finish better than a yellow foam cutting pad, therefore if you need to do heavy cutting, I would suggest the Meguiar's MF Cutting Pads.

2) The only foam pads I use are the LC Flat Pads... I have never been a fan of the HexLogic pads. Just a personal preference.

3) One of the major rules of polishing is "work clean!". This includes your pads. Your pad needs to be cleaned very regularly, and you should switch to a new pad somewhat often. As you polish, your pad becomes saturated with spent product as well as clear coat and dirt that is being removed from the surface of the vehicle. Your pad will be much less effective as it becomes dirty.

On a sedan like the 2IS, I typically use a minimum of 3 pads per polishing step. If you use MF pads, they need to be cleaned after each section. If you're using foam pads, I would recommend cleaning it after each panel or more.

Use something like the Meguiar's Pad Cleaning Brush to help remove the spent product from the surface of the pad.

You can also check out Mike Phillips' article on "cleaning your foam pad on the fly".

Let me know if you've got other questions

-Zach
Old 03-21-14, 12:10 PM
AZJoe
Driver

Default Similar Scratches

Repairing similar scratches but had one down to bare metal. Touched up with primer, then paint then clear coat. Have wet sanded w 2000 grit to try level off the raised area but don't want to continue with it. Any recommendation for pad polish combination to leave a flat surface.

How soon after can I apply a sealant (like wolf HB)?

Thanks
Old 03-21-14, 12:33 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by AZJoe
Repairing similar scratches but had one down to bare metal. Touched up with primer, then paint then clear coat. Have wet sanded w 2000 grit to try level off the raised area but don't want to continue with it. Any recommendation for pad polish combination to leave a flat surface.

How soon after can I apply a sealant (like wolf HB)?

Thanks
As I mentioned previously in this thread, a 3" Microfiber Cutting Pad and Meguiar's M105 would easily remove these sanding marks. Pair it with a machine like the Rupes Mini LHR75e and you'll have it looking great in no time.

Follow up with a finishing polish like Meguiar's M205 on a White Polishing Pad or Black Finishing Pad.