Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Major Paint Chips... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 07:56 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Major Paint Chips... Suggestions?

So i bought this Lexus ES300 a few months ago and the paint looks to be pretty neglected, but its in great mechanical shape. I already bought a Dr. ColorChip kit for it that i haven't used yet. I will post some before/after pics of that when i get around to it. Based on the pictures I've posted here, what do you guys suggest that i do to fill in these chips, besides Dr. Colorchip of course.

P.S. - I can't afford to put a clear bra on, or repaint the hood as i am a college student.
Attached Thumbnails Major Paint Chips... Suggestions?-img_0372.jpg   Major Paint Chips... Suggestions?-img_0373.jpg  
Old 03-04-14, 10:36 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, with that many chips your only perfect solution will be repainting. Dr. Colorchip will do a great job to minimize the look of the chips from 5-10-15 feet away, but even if you spend hours filling, sanding, polishing, etc., I would imagine it's just way too many chips to correct.

I say give Dr. Colorchip a try especially since you already have it and see if you can live with that. Oh and I would also not be investing in a PPF/clear bra with the car in that condition, even if you do fill them all in. You'll still be able to see them enough underneath and probably kick yourself in the butt for not waiting. If you plan on repainting in the future, put some money aside for both the repaint and the PPF/clear bra and get both done at the same time or film soon after painting, when the paint fully cures.

Wish I could be of more help, but sure looks like previous owner just drove it like they stole it and cared little or none about the chips!

Ivan @ DI
Old 03-05-14, 09:08 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i'll have to agree with Greg. i'm about to get my chips touched up by Lexus and having a clear bra installed. i do a lot of highway driving and the chips are starting to bother me.
Old 03-05-14, 10:16 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys! What do you think it would cost to get just the hood repainted? And what would be a good outside temperature to break out the touch-up paint and Dr. colorchip kit?
Old 03-05-14, 10:40 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a lot of rock chips.

Best solution - repaint (I assume around $300 - $400 average)
Valued solution - use your touch up kit in warm temperature (room temperature or warmer, maybe 68+ degrees fahrenheit)

Do you happen to do a lot of highway driving? If you do, maybe its best to repaint then put on a clearbra
Old 03-05-14, 10:49 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by westopill
Thanks for the input guys! What do you think it would cost to get just the hood repainted? And what would be a good outside temperature to break out the touch-up paint and Dr. colorchip kit?
I'd wait for this weather to pass if you have to leave the car outside after applying the touchup paint. Otherwise, even if it's clear out (which it won't be!) you might not get enough heat for it to cure for a while. It should work ok, and I would recommend touching up asap any chips that are through to the metal to avoid rusting.

As for the hood, normally it's $400-600 for a quality job (in Chicagoland at least), depending on how big and/or reputable the body shop.

Hope that helps!

Ivan @ DI
Old 03-05-14, 06:39 PM
westopill
Intermediate

I don't do much highway driving, but i might be eventually... So i guess a clear bra/repaint would be a good option later in the cars life if i still have it. And hopefully the weather looks better soon so i can break out my paint chip repair kit.