Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NuLuxe vs Leather treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 10:46 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question NuLuxe vs Leather treatment

I just realized that 3IS F-Sport comes with nuLuxe interior, not leather. My question is, can I still use the Lexus leather cleaner and leather conditioner I got from the dealership? Or should I use something else? Any suggestions on aftermarket products that will perform well is appreciated.
Old 01-29-14, 06:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Since this material is just vinyl, much the same as the non-seating areas in most Lexus vehicles, I'd use a product designed to treat vinyl, not leather.

For maintenance, I'd suggest a weekly vacuum and wipe down with a dampened cotton towel or Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer, a product designed to clean and leave UV protection. For periodic maintenance, I'd use a vinyl cleaner/conditioner and also would finish with a water-based fluorocarbon protectant to prevent stains and dye transfer. This material definitely is subject to the same dye transfer issues as real leather.

This product will neither need, nor benefit from, a leather conditioner. Being 100% synthetic, it should last a long time and not crack and harden like leather. Unlike leather, this product does not need you to maintain proper hydration to remain soft. The only concern I have with the material is it's extremely thin, Much thinner evan than M-B Tex which is a similar material, and therefore may be more apt to suffer from perforation or punctures. It also may show stretching and wrinkling over time due to it's very thin nature.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-29-14 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 08:09 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim. Any brand suggestion for the water-based fluorocarbon protectant?