Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Applying OptiCoat 2.0 on my own

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 07:09 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by skrules
Thanks guys,

zmcgovern4, As you said, I would be interested in a list of things I could get to keep my car's paint in good condition. Mine is a red IS350 and it looks like the metallic paint shows scratches easily under light.

These are some of my recommendations for basic detailing products and tools. It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Machine Polishing
- Porter Cable 7424XP Kit (includes machine, backing plate, 8 Pads and Pad cleaner - a great deal! I would recommend asking for 2 Orange Light Cutting Pads, 2 White Polishing Pads, 2 Black Finishing Pads, and 2 Blue Fine Finishing Pads)
- You may also consider Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads if you have harder paint or more severe defects that need to be removed.
- Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 Cutting Compound for removing heavier defects/scratches
- Menzerna SF4000 Finishing Polish to produce an unbelievable shine
- If you have softer paint, or black paint, you may find it beneficial to follow up with an even finer polish like Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500
- 10 or more quality microfiber towels for removing polish residue (I typically use 30+ towels per full detail)

Coating
- Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
- CarPro Eraser or Isopropyl Alochol to prep the surface for the coating after polishing

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer - up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach
Old 01-27-14, 08:49 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of great information in this thread, good work Zach!

Skrules, have you contacted Jeff? Being a detailer and authorized installer of both OC Pro and CQuartz Finest I would definitely recommend getting it done by a pro and there is no better choice than Jeff McGoveran. If you really are looking to stay around a $4-500 range then you can have the vehicle prepped and then apply OC 2.0 yourself but know you are running the risk of having either high spots, or not applying properly and premature failure. That being said it is not super difficult to apply and you are more than capable of doing it yourself, but depending on your experience you could run into problems.

I dont know Jeff's pricing by hand, but Im sure he could work with you to meet your goals.
Old 01-27-14, 09:34 PM
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
1. Application is fairly straight forward with OC2.0 (different for OC pro which you could not purchase anyway), however the prep work requires much time, patience, and skill. OC2.0 varies depending on ambient conditions, however unless you are in extreme hot or cold it is quite user friendly.

2. Harm? No - not to the vehicle. If you apply to heavy you could leave 'high spots' or streaks. These should be leveled (very lightly wiped away) several minutes after application. If you allow them to dry, they will need to be machine polished to remove them.

3. Sure, no problem with it. In fact, the OC will help to protect the clear bra from contaminates just like it does with paint.

-----

4. This depends on many, many factors. I would recommend finding a shop that is authorized to install OC pro. This will be more expensive, however it is a better product overall. I would expect to pay no less than $600 for a wash, decon, light polish, prep, and coating application.

5. I would highly recommend having the coating installed by the person doing the detailing/prep work. The main reason is that these coatings are very sensitive to surface contamination. If you were to have the vehicle detailed by an OC professional, they would thoroughly decontaminte the surface, polish it to remove surface defects, and then cleanse the surface to prep for coating. If you were to drive the vehicle after this point you risk contaminating the surface (yes, even if you only have a short drive back home).

Also, if the vehicle is driven after being polished and without any paint protection applied you are at serious risk of harming the paint. Unprotected paint would be very vulnerable to water etching, bird dropping damage, bug gut damage, etc etc etc. I know I personally would not allow a customer to leave with no protection on their vehicle.

Here is who I would recommend in the San Francisco area. Let him know Zach McGovern sent you

Immaculate Reflections
www.immaculate-reflections.com
Owner: Jeff McGoveran
Antioch, CA.
(925) 354-7653

Let me know if you've got any more questions.

-Zach
Originally Posted by TLcoats
Alot of great information in this thread, good work Zach!

Skrules, have you contacted Jeff? Being a detailer and authorized installer of both OC Pro and CQuartz Finest I would definitely recommend getting it done by a pro and there is no better choice than Jeff McGoveran. If you really are looking to stay around a $4-500 range then you can have the vehicle prepped and then apply OC 2.0 yourself but know you are running the risk of having either high spots, or not applying properly and premature failure. That being said it is not super difficult to apply and you are more than capable of doing it yourself, but depending on your experience you could run into problems.

I dont know Jeff's pricing by hand, but Im sure he could work with you to meet your goals.

Zach, Tim, thank you for the kind words. I'd be happy to help out the OP! My contact info is in Zach's post if you'd like to contact me. I don't think I can get PMs on here because of the post count rules, but feel free to contact me via what's been posted
Old 01-28-14, 10:54 AM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To add to Zach's list of recommendations. I'd suggest Opticoating your wheels instead of using a wheel sealant.
Old 01-28-14, 12:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jw669
To add to Zach's list of recommendations. I'd suggest Opticoating your wheels instead of using a wheel sealant.
Good call... that was just a list I copied from one of my previous posts and didn't catch that
Old 01-30-14, 10:49 AM
skrules
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks zmc for the list, I have been sick like a dog for the past few days (cold and flu season going around). But I finally managed to get few things from the list. I have not talked to Jeff since I was sick and running around getting some things done that should have been done months ago. I will get in touch with him and figure something out.