Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do i properly care for my cars paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 02:54 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Post How do i properly care for my cars paint?

Hello Lexus Community!!

I care about my car a lot, (2000 ES300) and I've never buffed or waxed a car before. (As this is my first car) So I was curious to know how you guys keep your Lexus's paint in good shape. I have A LOT of little paint chips on the front of the car that i plan on fixing with "Dr. Colorchip Paint Repair Kit". And for the bigger chips i plan on using touch up paint. But I don't have a clue on how to prep a car for waxing or buffing or polishing or what order all of those things go in. And i don't know what products to use or anything like that. I know that's a lot to ask from you guys but i just want somewhere to start.
Old 01-12-14, 03:29 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

These are some of my recommendations for basic detailing products and tools. It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Machine Polishing
- Porter Cable 7424XP Kit (includes machine, backing plate, 8 Pads and Pad cleaner - a great deal! I would recommend asking for 2 Orange Light Cutting Pads, 2 White Polishing Pads, 2 Black Finishing Pads, and 2 Blue Fine Finishing Pads)
- You may also consider Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads if you have harder paint or more severe defects that need to be removed.
- Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 Cutting Compound for removing heavier defects/scratches
- Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish to produce an unbelievable shine
- If you have softer paint, or black paint, you may find it beneficial to follow up with an even finer polish like Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500
- 10 or more quality microfiber towels for removing polish residue (I typically use 30+ towels per full detail)

Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock
Wax: Menzerna Color Lock

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach
Old 01-13-14, 05:38 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^ *sigh* And the bug begins....

Westopill, Considering your car is 14 years old, and presumably never been properly cared for. You're probably going to need to do some extensive correction work. Zac is the guy you can get good answers from for sure. Google "auto detailing..,etc" and you'll find some commonly used forums. Some of which sells the equipment as well. Read all that stuff he gave you, then read some more. There's literally tons of tutorials on every aspect of auto detailing. It took me a while to get a good grip on the methods and how you use products to do the work for you.

To answer your question of how I keep my car in decent shape. It starts with the daily habits for me, I don't eat in the car (ok to have a piece of candy here and there, but no full blown burgers or anything with crumbs), I don't do open container in the car. On the outside, I ask people not to lean on my car (natural human habit I think), try not touch it, no matter how slick and pretty it looks.

I try to wash once a week, or every two weeks. Read proper wash technique, it can get pretty comprehensive. It all boils down to the time you have and how much you want to devote to your car for its care. There are different approaches you can take. Rinseless, waterless, full blown washes, tons of possibilities. If you get into paint correction, you will open the door to a world of products that can be quite overwhelming. But again, it's a personal thing if you ask me. Time + Money + Desire + Knowledge = Results.

I'm an amateur at best. And am still learning every single day. Read the forums, there are plethoras of great information. Some are even detailed step-by-step tutorials. Good luck.