Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water-less Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 08:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree with the recommendation for Optimum No Rinse (ONR). It is a safe and effective way to maintain your vehicle - especially in the winter months.

Here is a great article that walks you through the best way to use ONR during the winter.

Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR)
Old 12-16-13, 09:00 AM
Cougar24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome info guys. This is exactly the input I was looking for!

Thanks again
Old 12-16-13, 09:42 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I wouldn't trust no rinse stuff unless you want to scratch the paint. You can definitely use it on a not so dirty car but lack of water on a very dirty car will scratch the paint. I've used no rinse and it took me longer to wash with it than typical water hose and soap.
Old 12-16-13, 11:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by dojoman
I wouldn't trust no rinse stuff unless you want to scratch the paint. You can definitely use it on a not so dirty car but lack of water on a very dirty car will scratch the paint. I've used no rinse and it took me longer to wash with it than typical water hose and soap.
As a professional, I can tell you that you must have been doing something wrong if it took you longer to do a rinseless wash and you caused damage to your car.

As I already said - I use ONR to maintain my personal vehicles with no issue. The key is knowing when and how to use these types of products. If you had read the article that I linked in my previous post, you would notice that it states you should run your vehicle through a touchless wash, or visit a coin-op power wash to remove the majority of the dirt and grime that accumulates in the winter months before proceeding with a rinseless wash process.

The key to ANY kind of washing method is: USE LITTLE TO NO PRESSURE. If you are scrubbing your paint, you are going to scratch it.

You should be able to do a complete rinesless wash in under 30 minutes on an average sedan. Very quick! This is a great way to maintain your car in the summer as well. I wash my car on a weekly basis, and unless it has rained a good amount, there is typically just dust and minor road grime on my vehicle. It is much quicker and easier to do a rinseless wash than a complete three bucket wash. Also, you use A LOT less water which is nice on the water bill
Old 12-16-13, 12:05 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried CroftGate before....nothing special, it's just a liquid cleaner with some wax

rather use ONR

I use ONR in summer when I don't feel like cleaning wheels, then traditional 2bucket when I clean wheels

I use ONR in winter roughly once a month (Canadian winter too) after getting it rinsed at either gas station or coin wash (but I still go to gas station once a week)

Gas station washes are still not good because the pressure + all the abrasives stuck on the paint (salt, etc.) will cause hairline scratches but oh well it's winter nothing I can do
Old 12-16-13, 12:08 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Tried CroftGate before....nothing special, it's just a liquid cleaner with some wax

rather use ONR
Optimum now makes a rinseless solution that contains a wax. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax
Old 12-16-13, 01:07 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As a professional, I can tell you that you must have been doing something wrong if it took you longer to do a rinseless wash and you caused damage to your car. As I already said - I use ONR to maintain my personal vehicles with no issue. The key is knowing when and how to use these types of products. If you had read the article that I linked in my previous post, you would notice that it states you should run your vehicle through a touchless wash, or visit a coin-op power wash to remove the majority of the dirt and grime that accumulates in the winter months before proceeding with a rinseless wash process. The key to ANY kind of washing method is: USE LITTLE TO NO PRESSURE. If you are scrubbing your paint, you are going to scratch it. You should be able to do a complete rinesless wash in under 30 minutes on an average sedan. Very quick! This is a great way to maintain your car in the summer as well. I wash my car on a weekly basis, and unless it has rained a good amount, there is typically just dust and minor road grime on my vehicle. It is much quicker and easier to do a rinseless wash than a complete three bucket wash. Also, you use A LOT less water which is nice on the water bill
Uhm that makes no sense. You have to wash the car before washing with rinse less? How does saving water comes into play with rinse less this way? I'm not saying it will scratch your clear coat but definitely use it for lightly dirty car only. If you're going to use a hose to clean off mud might as well wash the damn car with soap, just one step away.
Old 12-16-13, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I agree with zmcmcgovern. ONR will not scratch your paint unless you're using dirty mitts and towels. If you use clean towels and a clean mitt you will have no issue on even a very dirty car. I've washed hundreds of cars with ONR and longer ago QEW, all different manner of cars when I was detailing professionally...I have never scratched a car washing it with ONR. To watch it dead up and encapsulate the dirt is really very cool...

The issue is, when its below 35 and winter...you can't wash a vehicle with a hose. So its a moot point ONR vs a hose. Even that though, I've gotten to where I use ONR in the summer instead of a hose because its easier, less work, less mess, and the finished product is better IMHO (ONR, and especially ONR W&W leave a very nice slick, detailed finish).
Old 12-16-13, 01:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Uhm that makes no sense. You have to wash the car before washing with rinse less? How does saving water comes into play with rinse less this way? I'm not saying it will scratch your clear coat but definitely use it for lightly dirty car only. If you're going to use a hose to clean off mud might as well wash the damn car with soap, just one step away.
As I stated, this is for winter scenarios... and you are not using your own water for the pre-wash. Go to the local coin op power wash, pay $1.50 and rinse the majority of the heavy dirt and grime from the surface. Now drive home, pull in the garage, and follow up with a rinseless wash (in which you will use <5 gallons of water).

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you live in California and perhaps don't have to deal with snow on a regular basis, so maybe you don't understand the battle of trying to clean your car in the winter when it is at or below freezing for months at a time.

If you like traditional washing and want to add even more soap and suds to the equation, check out my article on How to Implement a Foam Cannon into your Wash Routine

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-16-13 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 01:27 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As I stated, this is for winter scenarios... and you are not using your own water for the pre-wash. Go to the local coin op power wash, pay $1.50 and rinse the majority of the heavy dirt and grime from the surface. Now drive home, pull in the garage, and follow up with a rinseless wash (in which you will use <5 gallons of water). EDIT: It just occurred to me that you live in California and perhaps don't have to deal with snow on a regular basis, so maybe you don't understand the battle of trying to clean your car in the winter when it is at or below freezing for months at a time.
Yeah I don't see why in CA we would use this product. Obviously I don't use it often and find myself spending the same amount of time than washing with soap and water hose.
Old 12-16-13, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You don't have to do a pre-rinse, if the car is really dirty I may run it through a touch less on my way home if only to make washing it less of a mess.

Honestly, I understand your trepidation but I have washed absolutely filthy cars with ONR, its very effective and safe.

If I lived in CA, I'd use it over a hose wash. I do here in the summer. Another benefit of it in the summer is it removes the issue of water spotting, which is an issue where I live. I can wash an entire car with ONR in less than 20 minutes...no way you can rinse, wash, rinse, dry, QD & dress a car with a hose wash in less than 20 minutes.
Old 12-16-13, 02:14 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You don't have to do a pre-rinse, if the car is really dirty I may run it through a touch less on my way home if only to make washing it less of a mess. Honestly, I understand your trepidation but I have washed absolutely filthy cars with ONR, its very effective and safe. If I lived in CA, I'd use it over a hose wash. I do here in the summer. Another benefit of it in the summer is it removes the issue of water spotting, which is an issue where I live. I can wash an entire car with ONR in less than 20 minutes...no way you can rinse, wash, rinse, dry, QD & dress a car with a hose wash in less than 20 minutes.
Do you have many microfiber towels in the bucket and then just wipe it off then re-wet?
Old 12-16-13, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do you have many microfiber towels in the bucket and then just wipe it off then re-wet?
I use a microfiber pad like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/the-bone.html

Wash the car top to bottom, rinsing as I go in the bucket. I do the wheels/wheel wells last.
Old 12-16-13, 02:37 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I use a microfiber pad like this: http://www.autogeek.net/the-bone.html Wash the car top to bottom, rinsing as I go in the bucket. I do the wheels/wheel wells last.
Just use one pad? I was afraid re rinsing into the bucket would contaminate the clean water. I was using many towels and use it one time only per towel, but that was making the wash process more complicated and time consuming. My goal was to spend the least amount of time.
Old 12-16-13, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just use one pad? I was afraid re rinsing into the bucket would contaminate the clean water. I was using many towels and use it one time only per towel, but that was making the wash process more complicated and time consuming. My goal was to spend the least amount of time.
One pad. It doesn't contaminate the pad, the dirt just falls to the bottom of the ONR mixture. I use one bucket and one pad. One waffle weave MF to dry, Wash and dry each panel as you go along.

Quick Reply: Water-less Car Wash?