Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Winter rust problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 01:44 PM
Tommy150
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter rust problems.

so i bought this car not to long ago and i love it, but it has a little rust problem =(... dam Chicago salting. I was just wondering what you guys would do to stop it from progressing even more. My buddy told me to use naval jelly, but i just want a second opinion to see what others have used before. Thanks

image upload
Old 12-13-13, 03:32 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

that does not look good at all... looks like you need a lot more than Lava Jelly. that has to be redone... primed, bondo, and some paint. what year and which lexus is that? i'm sure the road salt is making it even worse.
Old 12-13-13, 04:08 PM
Tommy150
Rookie

Its a 1994 sc300, it makes me sad to see that but i dont have the cash to fix that at the moment. How much do you think it would cost to fix that.
Old 12-13-13, 10:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

That's what' 'showing', i'd be worried about the rest of the underbody. Not to mention that rust is creeping underneath the rest of the skin on the inner fender....

Lexus makes their cars good, but if you live in area prone to winter weather, you should get your car undercoated.

Given it's a '94, it's probably never seen one. To fix that, it's a matter of cut weld, smooth with filler, prime, then paint. You're looking at 1k.

I'm not sure which part of the car that is since you don't say, so the above cost is assumed for a quarter panel repair. If it were a front fender you can get aftermarket or used southern states ones cheap.

Basically - it's a 94. In the spring cut it down to its lowest point, there's this 'acid' you can buy which dissolves the rust much more vs. sanding along would, and then you prime, filler it, sand, prime & paint.

In the US, Eastwood makes a rust inhibitor like that.
Old 12-14-13, 06:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

That car is 20 years old. TIme to evaluate your options. New or newer vehicle? Repair old vehicle? How much longer are you planning to keep it? Was this a previously repaired spot? What is it about this particular vehicle that makes you want to keep it? Is that the only area of the vehicle showing rust? If it is the year and body style you are fond of you could look for a used southern car of that vintage and replace your salt damaged vehicle.

Personally, I'd likely save the money to repair it and begin a search to replace it. That said, I have a 1991 Toyota MR2 that is rust free and now a garage queen. It is a challenge but not impossible. POR15 is a product you might google.
Old 12-14-13, 08:02 AM
Tommy150
Rookie

its in the rear quarter panel unfortunately. i would love to keep this car in the garage and only have it as a weekend car, but being in school and working at bestbuy isn't doing it lol. i want to keep it because im planning on putting a 2jz-gte motor in it and trying to push 500hp. the rest of the car is perfect. the reason why the rust is showing there is that the dealership that had it tried fixing it when it was small surface rust and they primed and painted over the plastic lip in the fender and didnt seal it correctly and water got in there and boom more rust =(. That's just a really common rust spot for these cars. thankfully tax season is coming soon and there will be some cash to fix up the car. Just sucks because all my planning gets thrown off. Thanks guys for all the advice and help really appreciate it.