Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

First tiem buying detailing products-advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 08:53 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First tiem buying detailing products-advice?

I would really like to get some Optiseal to protect the paint.
That being said, its a 2000 lexus ls400, single stage onyx black.
Car had a recent paint correction, has some minor scratches from dirty cloth etc.
What kind of products should I pick up to keep the paint looking DEEP and WET?

Best polish to use on chrome wheels?
I hear toothpase is the best to use when polishing the plastic front light lenses?

I have micro suede seats-best product for that?

Looking to keep it under 150$, not including the optiseal.

Also the rear window has scratches on the outside from i guess a rock being trapped int eh cleanign cloth.
Can I polish the glass? I knwo people do it on watch bezels and iphones all the time.

Last edited by Greg5OH; 12-02-13 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 10:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

First... Do you mean opti-coat or are you actually talking about opti-seal? The way you were describing it made me think you were looking for a long lasting coating like Opti-Coat 2.0.

You must be extremely careful to follow proper washing and drying procedures in order to help preserve your nicely polished finish. CLICK HERE to read a great article about proper washing and drying.

Here are some basics for washing, drying, decontamination, etc.

$150 is a very low budget IMO... I would invest in the best products now and they will last you for quite a long time.

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock

Misc Other Items
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Polish + Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through the full detail process.

Hope that helps.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-18-14 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 02:58 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zach, thank you!
Soon afterwards I did realize 150 is very low. Shiet i just spent 15k on this show car with a recent paint correction,
might as well get the best for it now! Im sure the products will last a long time as well.
Thank you for that extensive write up!

now gotta read and order everythign before 12 tonight to take advantage of cyber monday deals!
Old 12-02-13, 08:22 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Zach, thank you!
Soon afterwards I did realize 150 is very low. Shiet i just spent 15k on this show car with a recent paint correction,
might as well get the best for it now! Im sure the products will last a long time as well.
Thank you for that extensive write up!

now gotta read and order everythign before 12 tonight to take advantage of cyber monday deals!
My pleasure, Greg!

It is a great decision to adopt proper detailing methods and to invest in proper detailing supplies now as it will save you many headaches in the future!

Feel free to let me know if you've got any more questions! Always happy to help

-Zach
Old 01-17-14, 03:59 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zach, great link and thanks for sharing. You hit the nail on the head with that one bro. OP in addition at some point I'd also look into purchasing a DA (dual action) buffer. There's many out there on the market, but I'd go with the PC 7424XP starter kit. It will include the pads, and they're color coded to easily identify what they are used for, and it's perfect for someone starting out? Most importantly it will save you time, and a whole lot of elbow grease. It's user friendly as well. GL and keep us posted.

steve
Old 01-17-14, 04:26 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I highly recommend Detailed Image for all your detailing products and technical questions. I have nothing but the most positive experiences dealing with them. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-18-14, 09:38 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I highly recommend Detailed Image for all your detailing products and technical questions. I have nothing but the most positive experiences dealing with them. Best of luck to you!
+1. DI is my main source for detailing supplies.
Old 01-18-14, 08:37 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My total came out $338 missing a few things i will get later....question do we need wax if we are using a sealent? And where does polish come in? After waxing Also where is the best place to purchase the da buffer?
Old 01-18-14, 11:07 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

You do not need a wax if you are using a sealant. A sealant is essentially a 'synthetic wax' for lack of a better word.

Polishing is done after washing and decon, but before applying protection to the paint. The polishing process is a time consuming, careful process that will remove surface defects to reveal a smooth, glossy finish.

As I mentioned in my original post... CLICK HERE to read a full detailing guide from start (wheels and tires) to finish (applying LSP).

You may also have a look at the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog where you will find plenty of articles by myself, and other professionals, about all aspects of detailing.
Old 01-19-14, 05:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree with Z... $150.00 is a little low but it's doable. OC and OOS will give you the protection you need, although there are other sealants CQF, 22PLE, HB, AQ etc. the ball is in your court.