Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

winter prep process on my daily driven 98 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 08:28 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Arrow winter prep process on my daily driven 98 SC300

So I ordered a few products to restore the luster and protect the paint on my car from the winter elemnts here are the steps am going to take and would like your input btw I have some tree sap on the car will the claying remove it or no

1st. wash car with meguiars gold class then clay bar the car then rinse after use dp poli coat buff off with microfiber and then apply colinite 845 is this correct
Old 11-11-13, 07:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Here are the steps I would recommend for a proper winter prep/decontamination detail.

- Thoroughly Clean wheels and tires
- Wash car with concentrated shampoo and quality wash mitt
- If needed, use a tar removal product (this will eliminate the tree sap) like Stoner Tarminator or CarPro Tar X
- Remove bonded iron particles/fallout with CarPro IronX. This will make claying much quicker!
- Decontaminate with Detailing Clay and quality clay lubricant (I prefer nanoskin glide)
- If you're looking to greatly enhance the gloss and shine of your vehicle, now would be the perfect time to polish the finish. Machine polishing will produce the best results... if you'd like me to elaborate on this stage, please let me know and I would be happy to do so.
- Apply a quality paint sealant... I have never used DP Poli Coat, but it seems like a fine product if that is what you currently have. I tend to use Menzerna Power Lock on customer vehicles that are not being coated with a semi-permanent coating.
- Technically a wax is optional if you've already applied a sealant, but you could then applly Collinite 845 if you'd like. It will provide a nice added layer of protection.
- Next, I would apply a sealant to your wheels like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant... you could also use DP Poli Coat on the wheels, too.
- It is also a good idea to polish and seal your exhaust. I use Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Polish & Protection) because it is a polish and sealant in one.

That pretty much covers the basics....

Be sure to check out this article on Colli 845 if you haven't already: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

Let me know if you've got any other questions,

-Zach