Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Sticky dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 03:52 PM
emosley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky dash

The dashboard on my Lexus is sticky and ozing after 6 years of use. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.....
Old 10-06-13, 07:42 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oozing??? Oozing what ? Try some optimum power clean or any APC dilutio... Spray on MF rag and wipe, then get a dry MF rag and wipe down. Then wait a 5 or 10 minutes and wipe it down with an interior cleaner. CG inner Clean, diluted Opti Clean etc...
Old 10-06-13, 07:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by emosley
The dashboard on my Lexus is sticky and ozing after 6 years of use. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.....
What have you been using on it to cause it to be sticky and oozing?

If this is just a build-up of cheap dressing, you should be able to clean it with an APC or dedicated heavy duty vinyl cleaner. Don't scrub with a microfiber as you may cause it to become shiny. Let the chemical do the cleaning and wipe up with white cotton toweling. If the towel is still showing grime when you remove the cleaner repeat the cleaning until the towel comes up clean. Remember that the dash is painted vinyl and that paint is quite thin. Use too much abrasion and the paint will be removed.

Once clean, I'd suggest a thin application of a water-based dressing. Choose a dressing that does not add any gloss to avoid glare.
Old 10-06-13, 09:49 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

This is most likely the sticky dash issue that some of us encounter.. its not a issue of bad products, or anything you can clean off. Its a deterioration of the material they used. Nothing short of a new dash will fix it.
Old 10-07-13, 06:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
This is most likely the sticky dash issue that some of us encounter.. its not a issue of bad products, or anything you can clean off. Its a deterioration of the material they used. Nothing short of a new dash will fix it.
If vinyl deterioration is occurring, I suspect it is likely a more prominent southern states issue. I've been detailing cars for over 50 years and not seen this on a single car here in the midwest. I've seen many cracked dashes though.

If the dash material is getting greasy and oozing vinyl oils, it probably is caused by the sun and high heat. If the cleaning process doesn't remove this oily substance there is always this: http://www.coverking.com/custom_dash_covers.

My best guess of what this is, if not dressing build-up:
The dash must be made so as to not crack with temperature swings ranging from -40F to over 150F. Thats a lot of expansion and contraction that must be built in to the material to prevent cracking. The vinyl material may have lubricants embedded to accommodate this and it could be these lubricants expressing to the surface under high heat.

I'd suggest using a sunshade or parking in a covered area where possible as the temperature inside a car can easily exceed 150 degrees, even with the windows cracked, when parked in the hot summer sun.
Old 10-07-13, 11:20 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by emosley
Probably caused by Florida heat. Well known problem depending on what dashboard made of.
My '11 es350 dashboard is apparently leather. No problems yet, just my 2 cents!
Old 10-07-13, 12:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Over on the 2007-2012 forum there have been periodic reports of sticky dash. I don't recall seeing a fix for it short of some of the suggestions mentioned above.

No leather dash on the 2007-2012 ES350. Just a (nice IMO) vinyl product.
Old 10-07-13, 06:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Over on the 2007-2012 forum there have been periodic reports of sticky dash. I don't recall seeing a fix for it short of some of the suggestions mentioned above.

No leather dash on the 2007-2012 ES350. Just a (nice IMO) vinyl product.
Dash on 2013 is also vinyl.