Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dealer applied greasy armor all, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 12:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Dealer applied greasy armor all, how to remove?

at the last oil change I did at the dealer (many months ago actually and still there) they detailed the car with some very greasy armor all type product. You dont see it normally when the interior is cool but in direct sunlight it glosses up, bleeds out, and becomes very greasy/sticky. I've been using chemical guys interior detail cleaner (yellow one) and even trying rubbing alcohol to get the crap off and its not very reliable. Any other tips how to remove this nasty stuff?
Old 09-22-13, 12:40 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have their (Chemical Guys) extreme orange heavy duty degreaser and it works pretty good for me in those situations.
Old 09-22-13, 12:45 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner all over my car, it works for almost every kind of use for a cleaner, good for exterior and interior. Best of all, it doesn't have any harmful detergent or harmful chemicals.
Old 09-22-13, 12:47 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

To add: I've use it for over 7 years now. No problems or side effects from use on other surfaces besides glass.
Old 09-22-13, 05:50 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

try optimum power clean (OPC) that should do the trick. don't know if you should use at full strength... so dilute 3to1.
Old 09-23-13, 01:29 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
try optimum power clean (OPC) that should do the trick. don't know if you should use at full strength... so dilute 3to1.
^Agreed... any all purpose cleaner should do the trick.

here is some more advice for when you take your car to the dealer or anywhere else for service. make sure they are absolutely clear that you do not want them to touch the car let alone wash it or "detail it"! They might give you a weird look, or assure you it will be fine, but I promise they are doing way more harm than good.

I put 3 of these signs in my car when I go to the dealer and I make sure the service manager knows they are not to touch the car.

... don't make me tell you about the one time I forgot to remind them
Old 09-23-13, 03:01 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Agreed... any all purpose cleaner should do the trick.

here is some more advice for when you take your car to the dealer or anywhere else for service. make sure they are absolutely clear that you do not want them to touch the car let alone wash it or "detail it"! They might give you a weird look, or assure you it will be fine, but I promise they are doing way more harm than good.

I put 3 of these signs in my car when I go to the dealer and I make sure the service manager knows they are not to touch the car.

... don't make me tell you about the one time I forgot to remind them
do tell, do tell, I want to hear it. Or shall I say read it.
Old 09-23-13, 03:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

A diluted all purpose cleaner should be good.

I need to make some signs for my car that say "Do Not Wash" next time I go to the dealership. I had a bad experience with my SC300 a few years ago so I've never let them wash it again. They ask me if I want my cars washed every single time too.
Old 09-23-13, 05:58 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would think a lil bit of dawn/etc in a bucket of warm water would do the trick.
i have read (but have no references on hand) that armor all products use certain ingredients that
actually lead to drying/cracking of interior pieces, as opposed to cleaning/protecting them.
Old 09-24-13, 07:19 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
do tell, do tell, I want to hear it. Or shall I say read it.
^Well, I forgot to remind them not to wash it, and apparently they don't ask... they just assume you need it washed EVEN THOUGH MY CAR WAS SPOTLESS IN THE FIRST PLACE! So they let their guys wash it - I knew as soon as I saw it that they had touched it because there were water spots everywhere. It didn't look bad in the service pickup area so I didn't say anything. On my way out, I drove by the "washing area" and saw their guys going to work with those "washing brushes" that look like a push broom (you know what I am talking about?) and my heart sank. As soon as I got home I lit it up with my 1000W halogens and brinkmann and sure enough, it was lightly swirled/scratched. Now I don't keep my IS in perfect shape - it is a DD and that would just require way too much work, but I do try to maintain a mostly swirl free finish. Long story short, I polished the car and applied the 22ple VX1 coating and learned my lesson.

Originally Posted by Kira X
A diluted all purpose cleaner should be good.

I need to make some signs for my car that say "Do Not Wash" next time I go to the dealership. I had a bad experience with my SC300 a few years ago so I've never let them wash it again. They ask me if I want my cars washed every single time too.
^At least they ask you... mine just assume they should wash it apparently. Even though my car is probably the cleanest car they see... oh well.

Originally Posted by ProperD
i would think a lil bit of dawn/etc in a bucket of warm water would do the trick.
i have read (but have no references on hand) that armor all products use certain ingredients that
actually lead to drying/cracking of interior pieces, as opposed to cleaning/protecting them.
^Armor All contains silicone which can create a sort of greenhouse effect, trapping in heat between the surface of the armor all and the surface of your dash. This excessive heat, and silicone barrier can lead to cracking and other issues overtime. Water based products are the only way to go for safe maintenance.
Old 09-27-13, 07:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thanks for the tips. I will try some dishwasher soap later today to degrease it